Self Portrait with one light

Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
edited September 18, 2008 in People
I've recently acquired a lightstand, umbrella, and a set of cheap gadget infinity radio triggers for my SB-600, and I decided last night that I was tired of waiting for a cooperative and available model to show up on my doorstep so that I could put this gear to good use. Out into the studio (garage) I went, armed with a black sheet for a backdrop and the most patient model of all, myself. I was once again reminded of how painstaking a process shooting self-portaits can be, what with having to guess on the framing of the shot and my own facial expression, as well as being forced to accept "close enough" results when it comes to tack-sharp focus... but somehow it's still a lot of fun. Anyway, this was the best shot I got... I only wish I had a hair light for separation... I tried a reflector but it filled in the shadows on the face more than I wanted it to so I ditched it. Maybe if I had covered the bottom with black fabric... what I really need is another light that I can snoot for a hair light... and another one that I can use for background lighting... and a dedicated fill light... and plenty of gels, and gridspots, and softboxes, and...

Maybe I'll just try to get the most out of one light for now. That way I can still afford to buy food.

Here it is, C&C welcome:

n6605577_31577044_8302.jpg

Comments

• Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2008
    Nice! Really like the powerful, serious feel to your expression. Now go kick some arse. :D

In all seriousness, great image.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2008
    nice shot..all you need is red cape and some tights!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2008
    Have you looked at something like this for a very cheap ($20) second light. This screws in to any regular light bulb socket and fires when it sees your flash. The only down side is that it fires at a fixed strength. I sometimes decrease that strength by covering it with coffee filters.
  • GJMPhotoGJMPhoto Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2008
    Cheap fill card
    I really like the feeling of the photo...very strong.

I would still like to see a little more of your 'dark side'. You could definitely take some light in the shadows without losing the strength of the lighting.

The cheapest way I know of is the old bedsheet approach...just take a white bedsheet and hang it on the far side from the light...the distance will determine how much fill hits your shadow side...even a subtle amount will improve the shot. Another, more managable and inexpensive reflector is a piece of white foam-core...taped to a light stand (or wall).

- Gary.