Comments

• Options
    MooreDrivenMooreDriven Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2009
    Thanks Thwack. I agree.
  • Options
    Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2010
    I'm a new member who also thought to start with this thread.

This is Tucker Falls in Milford, NH. Taken about a month ago, mid morning. We'd just gotten the first snow of the season, but the tree branches are thick enough to have kept a lot of it off the ground.

756500290_vLUBQ-L.jpg

EXIF
  • Options
    ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2010
    Fern Spring, just past Pohono Bridge in Yosemite National Park. Taken earlier today. It's a fairly small spring that cascades over several ledges, each maybe a foot or so tall. This is the top ledge and my camera was sitting on a beanbag atop the next ledge.

Shot with a Nikkor 10-24mm super-wide angle lens on a Nikon D90.

777301913_9fykH-L.jpg
  • Options
    KKappleKKapple Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited January 31, 2010
    Iguassu Falls - Brazil - Spelled three different ways depending on which country you are from. Borders Brazil and Argentina. I flew into Sao Paulo to visit the wifes family and then took some of them and drove accross the country to see this and we stayed there for three days.

Used a Canon 70 - 200 mm 2.8 and a 24 - 70 mm 2.8 lens here.

Iguazu11.jpg

Iguazu2.jpg

Iguazu3.jpg

Iguazu9.jpg
  • Options
    nickeverettnickeverett Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited February 2, 2010
    North Yorkshire Moors, Uk

My first attempts at waterfall photography (from August '09). I tried to concentrate on interesting foreground detail because the waterfall isn't exactly that spectacular.

IMO the exposures were far too long. I seam to have lost some detail in both the water and rocks. In retrospect I wish I had tried a variety of shutter speeds.
    Both images shot at 30sec, f20 for the first and f18 for the second. Shot at 18mm (28mm in 35mm terms) on Canon EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 (standard kit lens of 400D).

631679497_img_10171-3.jpg?t=1265100259
    631680804_img_10172-3.jpg?t=1265100263
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2010
    KKapple - amazing waterfall!

Nick - I like the swirls on the water in the lower left (adds nice character). The water that's falling mid-photo seems slightly blown out (or almost blown out). For a 30s exposure, were you using ND filters or was it really shady there? Nice shots either way.
  • Options
    nickeverettnickeverett Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited February 4, 2010
    Thwack wrote:

Nick - I like the swirls on the water in the lower left (adds nice character). The water that's falling mid-photo seems slightly blown out (or almost blown out). For a 30s exposure, were you using ND filters or was it really shady there? Nice shots either way.

Cheers for the comment, much appreciated.

I have a circular pola but no NDs. I should have used the pola for these shots, but i didn't realise it would help until reading this forum a few days ago. Both shots are ISO 100. Plus there is a covering over leaves over head and no direct sun.

As for the blown out water, i will look back at the RAW and see if i can bring some detail back. Unfortunately, I lost a lot of detail from the falling water by using such long exposures, which blurred out and shape/form of the water.
  • Options
    DylanwyerDylanwyer Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited February 4, 2010
    Dylan Wyer Photography

Check my site out at http://dylanwyer.smugmug.com
    And please comment!
  • Options
    KKappleKKapple Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited February 4, 2010
    Thwack wrote:

Thank you Thwack, I appreciate the compliment.
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2010
    Cheers for the comment, much appreciated.

I have a circular pola but no NDs. I should have used the pola for these shots, but i didn't realise it would help until reading this forum a few days ago. Both shots are ISO 100. Plus there is a covering over leaves over head and no direct sun.

As for the blown out water, i will look back at the RAW and see if i can bring some detail back. Unfortunately, I lost a lot of detail from the falling water by using such long exposures, which blurred out and shape/form of the water.

Polarizers are nice since they can give a couple stops of ND as well as cutting lots of glare. I carry a +4 ND as well since many of the waterfalls I visit don't have shade nearby (and for when I want long exposure times). I've thought about picking up something even darker but haven't felt a strong need yet.

I've blown far more water shots than I've kept and figure it's a good excuse to visit those places again. :D
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2010
    Dylanwyer wrote:
    779673638_Ln65n-M.jpg]

Nice looking waterfall on that creek. I dug up the photo info and it says the shot was taken at f/25 on a Nikon D60. Which lens are you using?

I ask only because my D90 often doesn't seem to take crisp shots (even with a decent tripod under it) and the really tiny f/stops. I end up shooting waterfalls in aperture priority to get the DOF I want, then playing with ISO and exposure comp to dial in shutter speed and avoid blowing out highlights.

I'm an amateur (and happy to stay that way) but I'm always looking for ways to improve. :D

I also like the other shot you have in your gallery of that creek's waterfall (the one with a wider view showing more of the fallen trees, etc in the water's path).
  • Options
    DylanwyerDylanwyer Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited February 5, 2010
    I was just using the stock lens actually, 18-55mm, and actually no tripod, just set it on the ground. I always have my ISO at 100, I dont get crisp shots with anything higher than that.
    Thanks for the comments.
    Hope that helps
    Dylan Wyer Photography

Check my site out at http://dylanwyer.smugmug.com
    And please comment!
  • Options
    MazlimMazlim Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited February 7, 2010
    What a great post with some excellent tips on waterfall photography! The original post was some time ago now, but I guess others will be dropping by when they need some advice, so I'll just add to it. :D

I most certainly agree that a circular polarizer is required, and an ND filter on those ratbag sunny days. I prefer the longer exposures myself, and there's been many a time when some of the waterfalls have just been too big to feature the entire falls in a composition, so I also like to zoom in and concentrate on just one thing.

A good tripod is essential, as mentioned earlier - sometimes the best shot is right in front of the waterfall, in water. In that case, you definitely do not want your tripod to be unstable.

I have taken multiple exposures of waterfalls before, but as a general rule I try not to (because I'm lazy at post-processing!). The times I have done this are usually due to sunny weather and not being able to capture the dynamic range in one image.

Here are a few examples:

#1. Jiuzhaigou, Sichuan province, China. Waterfalls were too wide, so I zoomed in on the rock in the middle. Taken in the middle of the day in overcast conditions. Canon 5DMkII, f16, 0.5s, CPL, ISO50, 62mm.

745041665_vYjzT-L.jpg

#2. Skogarfoss, Iceland. HDR blend of 6 images (i.e. 18 altogether). It was a bit too sunny to try just taking one image! I don't have the EXIF on hand for this one... Taken in the middle of the day in sunny conditions.

722963096_DtDuy-L.jpg

#3. Overland Track, Tasmania, Australia. Here's one where I had to sit in the middle of the stream on a fallen log, with my tripod legs extended into the water. It was tricky trying to balance! Taken in the middle of the day in overcast conditions, in a rainforest (i.e. dark!) Canon 20D, f22, 10s, CPL, ISO100, 20mm.

429861831_YW47Y-L.jpg
  • Options
    astockwellastockwell Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2010
    Here are a few of mine. Mostly I try to not shoot waterfalls in the middle of the day, so I rarely use a polarizer anymore for these. These were all with some sort of ND solid, taken before or just after sunrise. Granted, whatever way the waterfall faces with the low sunrise light can make the shadows hard to recover sometimes.

1. Enders Falls State Park, East Granby, CT - Fall 2009
    675212790_qSnJq-XL.jpg

2. Enders Falls - Fall 2009
    722373335_BirTA-XL.jpg

3. Enders Falls - Fall 2009
    675270259_PP6YP-XL.jpg

4. Ayers Gap/Baileys Ravine - North Franklin, CT - Fall 2009

This was a delibrate effect here to get the pool swirl, again taken right at sunrise, so I could control the reflection, and not blow out the water with a 8 second or so exposure.
    675326709_VkhAj-XL.jpg

677311562_eaoC4-XL.jpg

And my last, and really my only shot taken middle of the day....Screw Auger Falls, in Maine. I was really excited to shoot this falls, but the timing didn't work out right for the time of day to be there. I had heard don't try to shoot this in the middle of a sunny day...and the rumors were correct. It faces south, so the sun hits right on the face of the falls. I had a lot of trouble controlling exposure of the falls, and rocks together here. So processing this was fun. So things to consider besides polarizers tripods, and what water effect you want, is the facing direction of the falls, and time of day.

713410169_SMyW6-XL.jpg
  • Options
    Nikonic1Nikonic1 Registered Users Posts: 684 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2010
    Wow, I wish I would have found this thread sooner. Looking forward to going to the beginning and seeing all of the great shots. Here are a couple I've shot. As always, C&C Appreciatedthumb.gif

4249832881_5ceec6225c_o.jpg

4249832955_cedc04bb03_o.jpg

4249833139_975db64b68_o.jpg

4249832867_bca747d1b9_o.jpg

3803162202_2e5d22c2ee_b.jpg
  • Options
    wizardrywizardry Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2010
    Cool Thread...Niagara Falls in the winter...
    F22, ISO 100, 1.6sec, 5D MARK II, 24-105mm, ND 2 & ND4 Stacked, about 1:30PM EST

751636899_XxAAj-XL.jpg</IMG>
  • Options
    mountainpzmountainpz Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2010
    wizardry wrote:
    Cool Thread...Niagara Falls in the winter...
    F22, ISO 100, 1.6sec, 5D MARK II, 24-105mm, ND 2 & ND4 Stacked, about 1:30PM EST

751636899_XxAAj-XL.jpg</IMG>

Gorgeous!
    - Paul

Paul Zizka Photography: zizka.smugmug.com
    The Blog - Twitter - Facebook
  • Options
    cowcowcowcow Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 26, 2011
    Lower falls of Johnston Canyon
    882946945_g8g6F-L-3.jpg
    This is the lower falls of Johnston Canyon in Banff National Park. Taken on a very cold day in December of 2007.