What is the best long range lens for sony a700???

southernyankeesouthernyankee Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited September 13, 2008 in Cameras
help! i need a long range lense for my a700, i love the camera, have had it for a year but im ready to really invest in it. does anyone know if when the 900 comes out any new lenses are coming out at the same time??? thanks!!!

Comments

• swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2008
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,081 moderator
    edited September 13, 2008
    Hi SouthernYankee, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Jonathan has pointed you at the latest offerings but do remember that the Sony dSLRs can also use Minolta Maxxum autofocus lenses. There are some great values out there in the used market.

For new lenses, I suggest starting with the Sony 70-200mm f/2.8 G. This is a pro quality tele-zoom in a range that is very popular. It will accept the Sony 1.4X G tele-converter for some extra versatility and range. It would be a great sports lens and also works for well lit indoor events when you can't get close enough to the action or the action is spread out in a larger area.

Alternately, Sigma and Tamron make lenses in the 70-200mm, f2.8 specification that many folks like.

The Minolta 70-200 F2.8 APO G D SSM is pretty much the same as the current Sony if you should be able to find one.

For other tele-zooms I direct you to B&H. Just stay away from the Phoenix brand and the really cheap consumer stuff if possible. Good quality lenses start around $300USD or so. When in doubt, be sure to ask back here.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=search&A=search&Q=&sb=bs%2Cupper(ds)&sq=asc&sortDrop=Brand%3A+A+to+Z&ac=&bsi=&bhs=t&ci=9266&shs=&at=Lens+Type_Zoom+Telephoto&basicSubmit=Submit+Query
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    I currently run 2 KM 7D's (Konica Minolta pre Sony) with a SIGMA 24-70 and 70-210 (newer model is the 70-200) both f2.8 and just love them...but i have used Sigma for many years on different camera brands......unless your pockets over flow with coin then keep and eye to the flea market here and also on ebay..........and no one answered your question.....as for best long range tele lens that depends on what you want it for.....wildlife and sports then the 200mm zoomz are a plce to start.....I wouldn't bother with a 300 just skip to either a 400 or 500 for the next increment and now we're a talking money unless you opt for something like a Siggy 170-500 f5.6-6.3( i believe I have the f# correct), still no el cheapo but less coin than the same in a prime lens..............
    HTH
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• southernyankeesouthernyankee Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Hi SouthernYankee, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Jonathan has pointed you at the latest offerings but do remember that the Sony dSLRs can also use Minolta Maxxum autofocus lenses. There are some great values out there in the used market.

For new lenses, I suggest starting with the Sony 70-200mm f/2.8 G. This is a pro quality tele-zoom in a range that is very popular. It will accept the Sony 1.4X G tele-converter for some extra versatility and range. It would be a great sports lens and also works for well lit indoor events when you can't get close enough to the action or the action is spread out in a larger area.

Alternately, Sigma and Tamron make lenses in the 70-200mm, f2.8 specification that many folks like.

The Minolta 70-200 F2.8 APO G D SSM is pretty much the same as the current Sony if you should be able to find one.

For other tele-zooms I direct you to B&H. Just stay away from the Phoenix brand and the really cheap consumer stuff if possible. Good quality lenses start around $300USD or so. When in doubt, be sure to ask back here.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=search&A=search&Q=&sb=bs%2Cupper(ds)&sq=asc&sortDrop=Brand%3A+A+to+Z&ac=&bsi=&bhs=t&ci=9266&shs=&at=Lens+Type_Zoom+Telephoto&basicSubmit=Submit+Query

Thank You very much for your help! I have the sony 70-200mm i actually was taking some football photos today that came out great with it :-) my main problem is getting pictures of birds, i am exhausted from chasing herons, and not getting any clear pics :-) thanks
  • southernyankeesouthernyankee Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    Art Scott wrote:
    I currently run 2 KM 7D's (Konica Minolta pre Sony) with a SIGMA 24-70 and 70-210 (newer model is the 70-200) both f2.8 and just love them...but i have used Sigma for many years on different camera brands......unless your pockets over flow with coin then keep and eye to the flea market here and also on ebay..........and no one answered your question.....as for best long range tele lens that depends on what you want it for.....wildlife and sports then the 200mm zoomz are a plce to start.....I wouldn't bother with a 300 just skip to either a 400 or 500 for the next increment and now we're a talking money unless you opt for something like a Siggy 170-500 f5.6-6.3( i believe I have the f# correct), still no el cheapo but less coin than the same in a prime lens..............
    HTH

Thank You Thank You :-) That is exactly what I was looking for..
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,081 moderator
    Thank You very much for your help! I have the sony 70-200mm i actually was taking some football photos today that came out great with it :-) my main problem is getting pictures of birds, i am exhausted from chasing herons, and not getting any clear pics :-) thanks

Do take a look at this thread:

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=39768

Birds, even bigger birds like herons, do require very long focal lengths.

KEH does have a very nice Minolta 600mm, f4 APO N in EX condition, but it's $5000USD.

http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/ProductDetail.aspx?groupsku=MA069991030710&brandcategoryname=35MM&Mode=&item=0&ActivateTOC2=&ID=19&BC=MA&BCC=1&CC=6&CCC=2&BCL=&GBC=&GCC=

Sigma makes a 500mm, f4.5 EX DG APO for the Minolta/Sony mount, but it's close to the $5000 price-point:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/380704-USA/Sigma_184205_500mm_f_4_5_EX_DG.html

Sony makes a fairly nice mirror (reflex) telephoto; the 500mm, f8, but most people don't like mirror design lenses and you have to watch the background lest you wind up with odd bokeh. (Bright highlights turn into "donut" shaped blurs. The bokeh can often be corrected in post, but it's time consuming.) The lens requires very good light to shoot. At least it's not horribly expensive.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/439173-REG/Sony_SAL500F80_SAL_500F80_AF_500mm_f_8_0.html
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums