Will 450d + 50mm 1.8/1.4 low-light indoors WITHOUT tripod work? or 510 with good lens

photonewbiephotonewbie Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited September 13, 2008 in Cameras
hi
i'm now in this forum and in the dSLR world as well. i wanted to ask if i can take full-frame body shots in low-light indoors without using a tripod with canon and a fast lens like 50mm 1.8
if the 1.8 is not enought i hope u suugest another lens which i can use generally for all other shots ( landscape shots + full-frame body good/low-light ) so that i wont but the kit lens and get the better suggested lens

would i get stablized shots in the low-light handy shots ?

wont it be better to use e-510 which has in-body IS with a good lens ?

thx in advance

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,081 moderator
    edited September 13, 2008
    If this is for modeling or portraiture then you should be using electronic flash and stabilization should not matter since the flash duration is pretty short.

Almost any dSLR could be used in that circumstance.

Stabilization, either in-camera or in-lens, will only help with camera movement. It does nothing for subject movement. You need short exposure durations to control subject movement.

Typically you will want a very fast aperture for either modeling or portraiture, depending on the background. You may not always use the large aperture, but when you need it, you need it.

I prefer a Canon f1.4 because that lens has a better rate of in-focus shots thatn the f1.8. In Nikon, both the f1.8 and f1.4 are good. I don't have experience with the Olympus lenses but you may need a wider focal length for Olympus to maintain a similar field-of-view.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums