Options

Feed contents...

Tomkirk23Tomkirk23 Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
edited September 24, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Hi -

I need some expert insight on Feeds....

From a high-level perspective, I want there to be a single Feed that contains any NEW GALLERIES -and- ANY GALLERIES WHICH HAVE CHANGED (e.g., with new photos or videos). Essentially, a feed identifying any changes to the site (preferably grouped by gallery, not listed individually).

I want my customers to sign-up once (I use Feedburner, but it applies to any deliver mechanism) for a "subscription" to all changes on the site.

From what it appears now, I need to have customers sign-up for (3) feeds: (a) New Galleries; (b) New Photos; and (c) New Videos.

Any assistance would be appreciated...

Thanks,

Tom K.

Comments

• Options
    edited September 15, 2008
    bump....
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    Hey Tom,

I think that generating that type of feed would be an excessively intensive server operation.

You might be able to produce some sort of aggregated feed using Yahoo Pipes and our existing feeds ?

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    anderivanderiv Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    devbobo wrote:
    You might be able to produce some sort of aggregated feed using Yahoo Pipes and our existing feeds ?
    Tom - I was just going to suggest Yahoo Pipes as well - it's very cool. I've been playing around with it quite a bit lately, and you can do a ton of cool and crazy things with RSS feeds. If you have any questions, reply and let me know!
    Erik Anderson
    http://andersonfam.org
    http://andersonfam.smugmug.com
    D70 | SB-600 | Nifty Fifty | Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 | Nikon 70-300 f/4-5.6G
  • Options
    edited September 20, 2008
    Yes, I am taking a look at Yahoo Pipes. Very cool.

However, I do have a question for Devbobo...

I have been doing some experimenting with the Galleries feed already in place within SmugMug. What exactly is the logic for this feed? What causes an entry in this feed?

Is it only when a new Gallery is created? Or is it also when an item is added to an existing Gallery? I have had cases where adding a photo to an existing gallery causes an entry in this feed.

Thanks,

Tom K.
  • Options
    edited September 23, 2008
    Bump...

- I am still interested in the logic on New Galleries.... seems to operate inconsistently... would help to know what SHOULD trigger it. Perhaps my thinking (as opposed to the feed itself) is incorrect. As I mentioned, it has appeared to trigger once or twice with the addition of a new photo to an exiting gallery.

- Also...Having dug into this a bit with Pipes, it would be very valuable if a few additional SmugMug values existed as valiables within the feed. The SmugMug category already exists in the feed. It would also be valuable if the Subcategory and Gallery were notated in the feed itself.

The subcat and gallery can technically be gathered through a Pipes Fetch Page operation, but this is a bit mucky.... and does not work sites not indexable by search engines.

Thanks,

Tom Kirkpatrick
  • Options
    edited September 24, 2008
    I have made a valiant effort with Yahoo Pipes to create a feed which identifies those galleries which have been created or changed.... but have, sadly, failed.... at least for now.

As I mentioned, I would like to use Feedburner to send an regular notification email which identifies any galleries which have been created or changed.

I have been trying to consolidate the New Photo, New Video, and New Gallery feeds in order to do this. If I discard the New Gallery feed, this will be a bit easier, I believe. Unfortunately, only the New Gallery feed contains the Gallery Names - which would make the feed easier to read and understand.

As mentioned above, it would be helpful to have the Subcat and Gallery values within New Photo and New Video feeds. With this info, it would not be necessary to consolidate in the New Gallery feed.... and the chore could be easier with a better result.

Thanks,

Tom K.
  • Options
    hyachtshyachts Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2008
    Tomkirk23 wrote:
    I have made a valiant effort with Yahoo Pipes to create a feed which identifies those galleries which have been created or changed.... but have, sadly, failed.... at least for now.

As I mentioned, I would like to use Feedburner to send an regular notification email which identifies any galleries which have been created or changed.

I have been trying to consolidate the New Photo, New Video, and New Gallery feeds in order to do this. If I discard the New Gallery feed, this will be a bit easier, I believe. Unfortunately, only the New Gallery feed contains the Gallery Names - which would make the feed easier to read and understand.

As mentioned above, it would be helpful to have the Subcat and Gallery values within New Photo and New Video feeds. With this info, it would not be necessary to consolidate in the New Gallery feed.... and the chore could be easier with a better result.

Thanks,

Tom K.

Tom,
    Just a note to say that I feel your pain. I've been using Feedburner emails with the galleries feed and I can't figure out what triggers the "update" add. It adds new galleries pretty reliably, but if I update a gallery it's pretty erratic. It's seem to be loosely related to how long the gallery has existed - if it's an older gallery that I update it usually gets added, but if I add pictures to a new gallery it usually doesn't.