Yet another exif question

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited September 13, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
I've been searching in here to try and find this, but 45 minutes and 2 bug-eyes later I still can't find the answer. Sorry if I somehow missed it ....

How does one link exif information if you're not using smugmug, or is that the only way? By all means point me to a prior discussion that I've missed... I can easily view my exif in paintshop pro, but I don't know how to harvest/post it from there (is a screen shot .jpg w/the exif and image both open considered sufficient proof? I can easily do that)

Thanks!

(Yes, I'm now SERIOUSLY considering taking the plunge... I figure after 3 days of obsessing over this glass, I might as well! ::butt slithers further down previously safe observation wall:: )

Comments

• i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2008
    Hmmm... I think a good bit of users have something like Opanda installed to view exif. If you're not 'saving for web' or the equivalent in your editor most of the time the exif stays embedded in the picture anyway. Then you can take Opanda Exif viewer and just copy and paste into the post on dGrin, or leave it as most of us can see it without your help.

Post a shot or two and I'll see if I can see the exif and post back...
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    Hmmm... I think a good bit of users have something like Opanda installed to view exif. If you're not 'saving for web' or the equivalent in your editor most of the time the exif stays embedded in the picture anyway. Then you can take Opanda Exif viewer and just copy and paste into the post on dGrin, or leave it as most of us can see it without your help.

Post a shot or two and I'll see if I can see the exif and post back...

Thanks. I was actually just about to post to the submission thread attaching a .jpg of the screenshot of the exif info (in Picasa) of the final edited picture (which includes the original shoot date from the camera), but I'll check out opanda too (I can always go back and edit alternative info if necessary).

Thanks for the response. Anybody else?
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    divamum wrote:
    Thanks. I was actually just about to post to the submission thread attaching a .jpg of the screenshot of the exif info (in Picasa) of the final edited picture (which includes the original shoot date from the camera), but I'll check out opanda too (I can always go back and edit alternative info if necessary).

Thanks for the response. Anybody else?

Your idea should work fine. If the site where your pics are hosted does not have an option on it to view EXIF, there's probably nothing else you can do other than capture the data locally on your computer and paste it. If it does have an option, then you might be able to copy the link of the button (or whatever) you click to get the EXIF data and paste it as a link into your post. Give us a link to a gallery and we can try it.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    Richard wrote:
    Your idea should work fine. If the site where your pics are hosted does not have an option on it to view EXIF, there's probably nothing else you can do other than capture the data locally on your computer and paste it. If it does have an option, then you might be able to copy the link of the button (or whatever) you click to get the EXIF data and paste it as a link into your post. Give us a link to a gallery and we can try it.

Thanks!

I just submitted - I linked to the exif jpg (on its own - because it's a separate window, a "prntscreen" command ONLY captures that "top window", but the filename is clearly there), but I also notice that picasaweb (where the picture is located), DOES have a "further info" button, which includes the date as part of the exif info they list *after* you click "further info" (rh side). So presumably that means I'm covered...? :)