Thinking about upgrading.

jbakerphotojbakerphoto Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
edited September 16, 2008 in Cameras
So here is my problem! I just started freelanceing with my local newspaper for hs football. (Two words - LOW LIGHT!) I dont have any money at this point to just go out and buy a lense so I think I am going to have sell and buy a whole new kit. My kit currently has a canon rebel xt, 70-200 F4 L , 50mm 1.8 and a low end tamron lense. (See complete list in signature) I really dont want to part with the 70-200 but I think I am going to have to trade it for a fast prime to deal with the gig at hand.....maybe a 100mm 2.0

The other part is depending on how the money falls when i sell i am going to get a 20D or 30D to get a higher iso, better controls and also just look more professional....Especially if I end up with a 30D I could end up with 1 lense after all is said and done that isnt a zoom. That sorta concerns me. I take pictures of my son (Who is just starting to want to try to walk ) and family, will try to get some other gigs doing portraits, have the newspaper gig and would like to maybe do weddings or the likes on down the road.

Does anybody have any better ideas.
40D,Rebel XT,Tamron 17-50 2.8,Tamron 28-80 3.5-5.6, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 70-200 2.8, Canon 580EX , Sunpack 383 w/ optical slave

www.jonbakerphotography.com

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2008
    Find you a used Sigma 70-200 f2.8.......prob should be able to pick one up for around $300 - 500....depending on its age......I love mine.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• jjvfxjjvfx Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    I think you should rent either a 70-200 2.8 or a 200 2.8 to get through the rest of the season HS Football. Were already done with week 3, that way you don't need to rush out and sell off everything. I think keeping the Rebel XT around as a backup is a good idea.

Jordan
    Canon EOS 1D Mark II, Canon EOS 40D, 70-200mm 2.8L IS
  • jbakerphotojbakerphoto Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    Thanks for replying Art

The sigma 70-200 2.8 for canon mount seems to run around 675 or so....it seems like. If it was running in the price range you were stating then I would just sell the canon and buy the sigma. not a big deal

Jordon

I would rent but I am only getting paid 25 bucks an assignment. so it really be hard to break even on that and rent. As for keeping the xt as a backup. My mom owns a Xsi that i can use as a backup if anything comes along that i need a backup for then i would have one. I did see a 200 mm forsale for 450.....
    40D,Rebel XT,Tamron 17-50 2.8,Tamron 28-80 3.5-5.6, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 70-200 2.8, Canon 580EX , Sunpack 383 w/ optical slave

• i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    Why not use a flash with your f/4?
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • jbakerphotojbakerphoto Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2008

I am just not getting consistant results! I am beginning to believe that the only way i am going to get the kind of results that I need is to get fast glass.

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2008
    High School football - distance between flash and subject can be anything from feet to many tens of yards. OK, close range, the flash will answer the call. But at 30yrds, for example the other side of the field and down field 10 yards from the flash .... hmmmm .... I don't know for sure, but there might be a power issue there?