Snake Eyes

jecottrelljecottrell Registered Users Posts: 136 Major grins
edited September 16, 2008 in Holy Macro
Found a surprise in our yard this morning. The lighting wasn't good, but it made the shots possible.

371556757_TRJJ5-XL.jpg

371560384_79DCL-XL.jpg

371562112_Wsv7h-XL.jpg

Up close and personal with a baby rattler:

371555874_Rzfar-L.jpg

He didn't move the entire 30 minutes I was working over him. His iris changed when I tried different lighting, but that was it.

Comments

• ilbcnuilbcnu Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2008
    From one who also finds those in the yard occasionally - your are braver in your photography endeavors than I!! Great shots and thanks for showing that setup--I can honestly say that I have no plans on duplicating/trying that anytime in the future!!!:nah
    Amanda
    It is never to late to become what you might have been.
    www.behindthezoom.com
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2008
    jecottrell wrote:
    Found a surprise in our yard this morning. The lighting wasn't good, but it made the shots possible.

Up close and personal with a baby rattler:

He didn't move the entire 30 minutes I was working over him. His iris changed when I tried different lighting, but that was it.

Wow you are a brave sole to attempt this shot eek7.gif
    Having an adjustable tripod that the centre can come out,
    and be either horizontal or verticle really helps.

I love that first shot, the eye looks to have a similar pattern to the rest of its body.

I figure if there's babies around, there has to be a mother hanging around some place too right? or other sibblings :oogle and that's a scary thought.

From the looks of the last shot you can see how they easily fit in with their surroundings, it blends in quite well in that shot.

Great Series, I wouldnt get that close thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • GiphsubGiphsub Registered Users Posts: 2,662 Major grins
    Gee that last shot really puts it in perspective! It is quite small. I wouldn't have guessed from the other shots. Nice ones thumb.gif
  • DeathToDigitalDeathToDigital Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    I absolutely love the first shot! and the last ... That thing is so small, just reminding me how cool macro-photography is!
  • jecottrelljecottrell Registered Users Posts: 136 Major grins
    Thanks.

My daughter was out picking up in the yard and almost grabbed him. Luckily things have started cooling off at night here and he was still quite cool and extremely lethargic. Like I said in the original post, he didn't move even the slightest as I worked over top of him. If he had, I would have chickened out right quick.

In the first shot you can see the reflection of the tripod leg in the upper right of his eye. I wish I had some tubes, I would have liked to fill the frame with just his eye. I think I need a flash as well....

Our local fire department has a snake removal service, so he moved to the country after his modeling career was over.
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2008
    Good ones - esp like #1 :)
    I'd think twice before getting near one of these :)
    Brian V.
  • astevens54astevens54 Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited September 16, 2008
    Dude, those shots are great. Thanks for sharing.
  • teamracephotosteamracephotos Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2008
    Crazy close!
    Great images.... but way to close for my comfort. I am out in thick woods all the time (luckily I have my dog with me) and change my direction if I even see something that reminds me of a snake. Cool eyes though! Thanks for sharing. MM
    “I love not man the less, but Nature more.”
    — Lord Byron