Options

How small?

brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
edited September 13, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
How small of a file can be created and still have it be suitable for a computer screen background image? I not talking huge HD screen... standard mom and pop screens...

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2008
    How small of a file can be created and still have it be suitable for a computer screen background image? I not talking huge HD screen... standard mom and pop screens...

http://cdn.smugmug.com/img/themes/Sand/background.gif is the bg for Sand Theme.
  • Options
    Andy wrote:
    Yes but isn't that file repeated over and over to fill the screen?
  • Options
    Yes but isn't that file repeated over and over to fill the screen?
    nod.gif
  • Options
    Sorry for the confusion. What I want to determine is different from what you think it is... I want 1 file that will cover the entire screen as a desk top background. I'm sending a customer a file suitable for a screen background, but don't want to send too large of a file...
  • Options
    Sorry for the confusion. What I want to determine is different from what you think it is... I want 1 file that will cover the entire screen as a desk top background. I'm sending a customer a file suitable for a screen background, but don't want to send too large of a file...

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_display.asp
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_resolution
  • Options
    Andy wrote:
    by your reply I take it that there is no simple answer. So let me ask it this way... If YOU were going to do as I described, would you send a file of size 1024x768 or smaller?
  • Options
    I really can't answer it for you, Anthony - most folks browse at 1024x768 or larger. 1280, 1400, 1920, 2560, are getting more common all the time.

1024x768 is a common "wallpaper" size, sure.

Does this help?

PS: For me, I sell as an option, even bigger files if they (or their parents) want to pay.
  • Options
    Andy wrote:
    I really can't answer it for you, Anthony - most folks browse at 1024x768 or larger. 1280, 1400, 1920, 2560, are getting more common all the time.

1024x768 is a common "wallpaper" size, sure.

Does this help?

PS: For me, I sell as an option, even bigger files if they (or their parents) want to pay.

Thanks Andy. I have not gotten into selling the digital downloads yet. I was just fishing in an attempt to determine if I was giving away to large of a file...
  • Options
    chuckinsocalchuckinsocal Registered Users Posts: 932 Major grins
    If I understand the question correctly, you need to find out what your client's screen resolution is and send him a file the same size or at least with the same aspect ratio. Windows will stretch or shrink the image to fit his desk top according to the options he selects in the desk top tab in his display properties dialog box. If it's not a Windows system I'm guessing that there is a similar feature in other OS's.

If you want to shrink the actual file size I think you can do a "save for web" at some medium image quality setting and it will be adequate for a desk top.
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

Artistically & Creatively Challenged