Andromeda Galaxy

Grumpy_oneGrumpy_one Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
edited September 15, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
This image is a compilation of 32 exposures using a program called Deepskystacker, an astrophoto software. The images are stacked and the software averages out 4 types of photos: dark frame, light frame, flat and bias. If you're interested, you can go to the web site and see how this process is done, go to "user manual". The file that the Deepskystacker spit out was a 61 meg tiff file. I pp'd in PS and converted to JPG. The images were taken with my Canon 20D, 70-200 coupled with a the 1.4 tc for a total of 280mm, mounted on a GPDX telescope mount. This was done in my backyard. The main photos or "light frame" were 10, 30sec exposures at f5 and ISO800. This is my real first attempt at astrophotography. More to come later. 371578349_QR9g4-L.jpg

Some information about what you're looking at. This is Andromeda Galaxy (M31) accompanied with two other galaxies, M110 and M32. Andromeda Galaxy is 2.9 light years away, 150,000 light years across with a mass 1.2 trillion times that of our sun. Enjoy
5D3, 7D, 50 1.4, 580EX, EFS 70-200L 2.8 IS MkI, 1.4x TC, 24-70 MKII, 85 1.8,(that's it ...for now)
http://www.happyvalleyphotography.com

Comments

• EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2008
    I dont understand some of the verbiage but what I can understand is interesting...and the photo is fantastiK!!!
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    That is really cool.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    Grumpy_one wrote:
    This image is a compilation of 32 exposures using a program called Deepskystacker, an astrophoto software. The images are stacked and the software averages out 4 types of photos: dark frame, light frame, flat and bias. If you're interested, you can go to the web site and see how this process is done, go to "user manual". The file that the Deepskystacker spit out was a 61 meg tiff file. I pp'd in PS and converted to JPG. The images were taken with my Canon 20D, 70-200 coupled with a the 1.4 tc for a total of 280mm, mounted on a GPDX telescope mount. This was done in my backyard. The main photos or "light frame" were 10, 30sec exposures at f5 and ISO800. This is my real first attempt at astrophotography. More to come later.
    Some information about what you're looking at. This is Andromeda Galaxy (M31) accompanied with two other galaxies, M110 and M32. Andromeda Galaxy is 2.9 light years away, 150,000 light years across with a mass 1.2 trillion times that of our sun. Enjoy

Wow! bowdown.gif I can't believe one can get this type of images from one's backyard nowadays. clap.gif Can you see the Jupiter and Saturn moons, too? eek7.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2008
    The blacks are plugged and highlights blown......

Just kidding...rolleyes1.gif ......

It's an excellent image along with very useful info. I sometimes view through an 8" dobsonian that a friend owns...but...live viewing is nothing compared to stacked photos like this.thumb.gif
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    Very nice. Andy and I were talking about the ability to shoot a background shot just before sunset and then merge it with a long exposure/stacked exposure of the sky behind the subject.

Have you done any of a nebula?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    Beautiful shot combination there. Really stunning that amateur astronomy has come far enough to be able to do this without umpteen-bizillion dollars of equipment. Very glad you posted this and, yes, please post more of these as soon as you can!!!

I think you meant to say that M31 is 2.6 million light years distant.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    David_S85 wrote:
    Beautiful shot combination there. Really stunning that amateur astronomy has come far enough to be able to do this without umpteen-bizillion dollars of equipment.
    Galileo would be pretty floored, eh?

Great stuff! thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

I reread the first post and now I got a question: you said you mounted it on the telescope mount, but was there any other involved, like the telescope itself? Or was this shot simply taken with 1.4 + 70-200? headscratch.gifeek7.gif
  • DeathToDigitalDeathToDigital Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    Nikolai wrote:
    I reread the first post and now I got a question: you said you mounted it on the telescope mount, but was there any other involved, like the telescope itself? Or was this shot simply taken with 1.4 + 70-200? headscratch.gifeek7.gif

Good question!
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    Fantastic results! clap.gifI have a small scope and I dream of taking the time to try what you have done here. Maybe when the kids are older - thanks for providing inspiration!
  • Grumpy_oneGrumpy_one Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    Nikolai wrote:
    This was shot with just the camera. While it was mounted on top of the telescope, the telescope was not used for any of the imaging. I planned on taking a pic of the set up, but 1 am came fast. And as far as a combination shot, this is not a combination vs the same image, shot multiple times and then stacked in the astrophoto software. Not quite sure what was meant by combination. Oh and yes, 2.9 million, I'll correct that in the original post, thanks!
    5D3, 7D, 50 1.4, 580EX, EFS 70-200L 2.8 IS MkI, 1.4x TC, 24-70 MKII, 85 1.8,(that's it ...for now)
  • MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    Very interesting image. I do have a question though. The yellow color, was that added or is that the way the image was produced in camera? It's not distracting to me but I am just wondering.
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    Outstanding shot...I was wondering, how did you sight for this shot? Did you sight with the telescope and then align the camera to the telescope? Or do you have a astro-computer that aligned it for you?
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    Nicely done, but why is it green?

thumb.gif anyway!
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
    I used to hang out in some dark places on occasion. Most of the folks who image seem to piggy back the camera on the telescope.

I've been toying with the idea of getting a Losmandy G-11 or G-8 equatorial mount. I haven't done much about it but only because I've been busy with other stuff. Plus, I'd like to look into other mounts.
    Grumpy_one wrote:
    This was shot with just the camera. While it was mounted on top of the telescope, the telescope was not used for any of the imaging. I planned on taking a pic of the set up, but 1 am came fast. And as far as a combination shot, this is not a combination vs the same image, shot multiple times and then stacked in the astrophoto software. Not quite sure what was meant by combination. Oh and yes, 2.9 million, I'll correct that in the original post, thanks!
    OMG. So this was taken with JUST 1.4x200mm=240mm? Which means if I use my 1.4x400mm=640mm and the free DSS software you've mentioned I can get the same (provided I figure out where to look, lol;-)? Or the said telescope mount provides some sort of magic (like tracking) than cannot be reached via conventional CF tripod + ballhead combo? Can you elaborate on that please? I *really* love what you gotbowdown.gif , but I always thought you need to have a huge telescopic glass and computerized mounting to get anywhere close... headscratch.gif
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    Stellar. mwink.gif

thumb.gif
    Nikolai wrote:
    OMG. So this was taken with JUST 1.4x200mm=240mm? Which means if I use my 1.4x400mm=640mm and the free DSS software you've mentioned I can get the same (provided I figure out where to look, lol;-)? Or the said telescope mount provides some sort of magic (like tracking) than cannot be reached via conventional CF tripod + ballhead combo? Can you elaborate on that please? I *really* love what you gotbowdown.gif , but I always thought you need to have a huge telescopic glass and computerized mounting to get anywhere close... headscratch.gif

You need a good tracking mount to keep the telescope/camera aligned. There's significant movement of objects in the sky over even 20s. So unless you want star trails, you need the mount :D
    ian408 wrote:
    You need a good tracking mount to keep the telescope/camera aligned. There's significant movement of objects in the sky over even 20s. So unless you want star trails, you need the mount :D
    Damn.. I was afraid of that..:bash Oh well, back to my models...ne_nau.gif
    ian408 wrote:
    Yup. I used a GPDX mount which has motors that will track. With a good polar alignment, longer exposures are possible. I need to get an illuminated double cross hair eyepiece to do a drift alignment. Coming soon.
    Grumpy_one wrote:
    Yup. I used a GPDX mount which has motors that will track. With a good polar alignment, longer exposures are possible. I need to get an illuminated double cross hair eyepiece to do a drift alignment. Coming soon.
    I have one I got from Orion (there's a retail outlet near me). Works pretty well.
    ian408 wrote:
    Very nice. Andy and I were talking about the ability to shoot a background shot just before sunset and then merge it with a long exposure/stacked exposure of the sky behind the subject.

Have you done any of a nebula?

M42 (Orion nebula) would be my first choice, wont be in a good part of the sky until Feb or so. I'd like to archive M3 which is a star cluster, unfortunately for me, it's towards the west where the downtown lights are. I'd have to find a dark spot. Now that I've got this one down pretty good, more to come for certain. M31 is the closest galaxy and probably easiest to find. In a good dark spot you can see it with a naked eye. You can certainly see it with binoculars. Cheers.
    Maestro wrote:
    Very interesting image. I do have a question though. The yellow color, was that added or is that the way the image was produced in camera? It's not distracting to me but I am just wondering.
    I had to play with it in PS. No masks or brush or anything like that was used. Only adjustments like levels, curves, color balance, brightness/contrast, and selective color. It was tough to get the colors to come out. But if did not come out of the camera like that. It was there, just had to make it come out.
    edited September 15, 2008
    Ok, here is the set up I used
    372823104_dGwJC-L.jpg
    372823193_WFpsN-L.jpg
    Here is one of the 30 sec exposures of 32 that were used to make this image.
    369004626_h5TJh-L.jpg
    Grumpy_one wrote:
    Ok, here is the set up I used
    Thanks for sharing!
    Wow, your 30 sec frame is clear! thumb.gif
    You don't have much light pollution in your backyard, do you!mwink.gif
  • erson83erson83 Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    Nikolai wrote:
    Damn.. I was afraid of that..:bash Oh well, back to my models...ne_nau.gif

Not a bad back up!
    One of the bit pain parts of viewing is setting up the tracking mount.

Any tips on making the process easier?
    ian408 wrote:
    One of the bit pain parts of viewing is setting up the tracking mount.

Any tips on making the process easier?
    Not sure what you mean by easier. I did the easiest polar alignment for this image i.e. just using the polar scope. I plan to do a more accurate alignment using the drift method. I need an illuminated reticle, it's on my wish list. Let me know if I can expand further. Cheers
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thanks for sharing!
    Wow, your 30 sec frame is clear! thumb.gif
    You don't have much light pollution in your backyard, do you!mwink.gif
    Actually yes. Comparatively speaking anyway. I live in a pretty urban development, city lights, street lamps, porch lights, you name it. This shot was done towards the east, away from the downtown lights of Portland (west). So that helped. I'll try to figure out just how much of the sky is actually in this image, not much. Light pollution comes into play for DSO or Deep Sky Objects. This happens to be the closest galaxy and pretty bright compared to other stuff in the sky. I'd have to go to a real dark spot to get good pics of nebula's and other gas forms. Planets aren't effected by light pollution as well. I plan to try Jupiter soon. It'll be a small white disk with a couple of bands going across. Lots on my plate right now! Stay tuned. Cheers
    Grumpy_one wrote:
    Not sure what you mean by easier. I did the easiest polar alignment for this image i.e. just using the polar scope. I plan to do a more accurate alignment using the drift method. I need an illuminated reticle, it's on my wish list. Let me know if I can expand further. Cheers

That's pretty much what I've done. Maybe it's the drift method I'm missing? I've never done anything to adjust for that.