Options

Carreg Goch (Wales), a trip to find the wreckage of Wellington Bomber MF-509

SimonMWSimonMW Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
edited September 19, 2008 in Journeys
A few sombre shots from today from Carreg Goch in Wales. We walked up there to find the wreckage of a Wellington Bomber that crashed in Nov 1944. All six of the Canadian crew members were killed. The wreckage site is pretty much as it was on the night of the crash.

371711175_Nzz2u-L.jpg

371708273_jfC6D-L.jpg

371718905_dXpH3-L.jpg

371713057_YzdX4-L.jpg

371717538_mnpzA-L.jpg

371716639_6nfWa-L.jpg

371712393_WnmFm-L.jpg

371714420_NEjnx-L.jpg
My website
My Smugmug gallery
Pentax K10D
Canon 60D

Comments

• Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2008
    Nicely captured - must be quite a mood there. So isolated and a tragic site.
  • Options
    edited September 15, 2008
    It has a tragic feel there, but it makes you realise how suddenly things can take a different turn in life.

It is amazing that the wreckage is still there as it is. Not only because of treasure hunters, who they have miraculously kept at bay, but also the weather. The conditions up there can be extremely harsh during the winter. The debris track is still visible, right down to the smallest parts. There are even bits of chromed parts that are still shiny. If I didn't know better it looks like it crashed yesterday as the ground underneath the main wreckage still looks charred.
    My website
    My Smugmug gallery
    Pentax K10D
    Canon 60D
  • Options
    Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2008
    really interesting spot (curious how you got to it!)

nicely captured! love number 6 the best for it's soltitude thumb.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2008
    The third shot is my favorite. Lovely.
  • Options
    edited September 19, 2008
    really interesting spot (curious how you got to it!)

It is known well in the area. There is a small town nearby, so they keep close links to the relatives of the crew. However it isn't easy to find unless you know where to look as it is quite remote up there. I used the GPS to find the spot and had to do a fair bit of scrambling to get there. There are easier ways, but it was my first time around there.

It is a good thing that it isn't easy to find or to get to because I'm sure they would suffer a lot from treasure hunters stealing from the site otherwise.
    My website
    My Smugmug gallery
    Pentax K10D
    Canon 60D