Night Football rwells style

donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
edited September 15, 2008 in Sports
Last year Randy Wells described a technique for mounting a flash low on a monopod and shooting night football. I shot my first night game of the season yesterday and employed this low flash with what I think are truely impressive results. Clearly visable faces in almost every shot.

Of all the sports I shoot, I'm probably least knowledgable about football. This team is particularly difficult to shoot. They are extremely good at faking where the ball is going, so I spend entirely too much time searching for it. We had about 1 1/4in of rain in the previous 24 hours. The flash was splashed once and I seemed to loose ttl communication with it until I finally got it dried off.

I used a ttl sinc cord and shot in manual at 1/250 f2.8 iso 1600 and 3200 on a d300. My Sb-800 flash was mostly shot in ttl so it would adjust output for distance.

Here are some of the results.
371764951_Y38cU-L.jpg

371764962_6W2CU-L.jpg

371765167_zA3BQ-L.jpg

371765808_ohnCd-L.jpg

371765898_P3qPm-L.jpg

371766100_3ANYy-L.jpg

Thanks for looking.
Sean Martin
www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!

Comments

• aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2008
    clap.gifclap

Well done!
  • cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    They look great!

How far away were you?
  • donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    cj99si wrote:
    They look great!

How far away were you?

Sidelines with a 70-200. The verticles are actually crops from horizontals.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!
  • tomautotomauto Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited September 15, 2008
    I have been trying this technique too. It is working for me quite well. But I didn't have all that water to roll around in. mwink.gif Nice job man! I don't cropping away horizontals to verticals or vice versa. Most buyers are just looking for a 4x6 anyway.

I'll post some up in my own thread when I get done with wedding pictures first :ivar
    My Smugmug Site! http://tomauto.smugmug.com/
    Canon Quality l Canon 30D l Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 "L" IS Lens l Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS Lens l Canon 580ex ii Flash l Canon 580ex Flash l Canon BG-E2N Battery Grip
    Strobist 101 kit l Bogen / Manfrotto Super Clamp l Westcott Umbrellas - Soft Silver Collapsible and Optical White 43" l Bogen / Manfrotto 3373 Light Stand l Photoflex Multiclamp