The View
79% 19 votes
American Pie
12% 3 votes

Comments

• eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2008
    Damn! These are great!
    Voted for 2 as rust says weathered to me more than moss. Also prefer the mood of that one - great light and composition.
    E
  • PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    The green isn't grabbing me for some reason...but I love the brown (rust). I also really like being on the inside looking out of the truck. thumb.gif
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    holycow, i cant believe i like the same one as everyone else...rolleyes1.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    I like #2 - the color fits better and it's more unique. The rusted-out car as seen from the inside is much more interesting! The texture on the dashboard is accentuated nicely as well.
    just a little request Jeff...i think it would be interesting to see #1 without the green....

i like that compostion very much...so if you get a chance let us see it?
    Aaron Nelson
  • BillyTomBillyTom Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    #3 says weathered best imo...all are great shots though, no losers there!!thumb.gif
    Bill James
    www.BillJamesPhotography.com
    Attempting to find beauty in the simple things!! :huh
    Nikon D80 - Nikkor 55-200 4-5.6 VR &
    Nikkor 18-70 3.5-4.5
  • slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,215 Major grins
    I really like the rusted look of #2, but I like the composition better in #3. I just don't care for the green. Nice shots all around though!

Sherry
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    #1 and #3 are two different variations of cross-process. Retro treatments are something that I am a big fan of....but it appears that doesn't ring true for most of you.

Aaron= Maybe I will work on that sometime. I did not export that particular RAW in full color. I thought #1 was the weakest in it's composition.
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    My vote is for #2 thumb.gif
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • hamsterhamster Registered Users Posts: 361 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2008
    Wow, I love #3, cross processing and all.
    jeffreaux2 wrote:

Aaron= Maybe I will work on that sometime. I did not export that particular RAW in full color. I thought #1 was the weakest in it's composition.

to me the composition speaks with definement...whatever that means right?
    anyway, as for the contest i think your #2 will be stronger, hence why i voted for #2....but if i were to buy one of these three it would be #1 even with the processing...
    so i guess really the good ol' standard of me liking something different compared to everyone else still holds true...
    i just though to bring it to your attention....
    Aaron Nelson
    to me the composition speaks with definement...whatever that means right?
    anyway, as for the contest i think your #2 will be stronger, hence why i voted for #2....but if i were to buy one of these three it would be #1 even with the processing...
    so i guess really the good ol' standard of me liking something different compared to everyone else still holds true...
    i just though to bring it to your attention....

Thanks Aaron

I actually like #3 the best.eek7.gif ...and would gladly have it printed and framed.

...but technically...#2 was a much more challenging exposure both at capture and in post. I think our subconcious "photographer's brains" maybe bite on that fact even if we don't stare and wonder about the difficulty in obtaining an exposure like that. I actually had excellent detail in the shadows all the way down past the pedals in #2, but decided that a pano crop would showcase the image best. i was proud of that even if I did toss all those pixels!
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    they are all cracker shots Jeff. I liked number three for the weatherd look.thumb.gif
  • idiomidiom Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    I liked 2 the best as well. Thats a neat set tho, do you have any more?
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    #2, hands down!!! thumb.gif Great shot!
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    From the n00b's perspective which, as I'm realising, IS different - my learning eye tends to see composition first followed by overall "story", and THEN technical elements. (As a tangent, this is particularly fascinating to me, since it's so related to the difference between how *I* have to approach my singing as a professional, and what an audience hears/perceives/would like to believe is the case: for me, I have to master the technique before I feel I can truly achieve the expressive qualities I want to - all the while making the technique *appear* completely transparent. Add to that, most importantly, sometimes intense expression can trump flawed technique by being so powerful as to transcend everyth8ing... and sometimes those "mistakes" are way, way, WAY more interesting than any technical "perfections".)

But I digress...... :)

They're all stunning, however:

#3 for really interesting "grab you" composition.
    #2 for overall impression.
    #1 is a great shot, but doesn't work as well for me, for some reason; not sure if it's the green that others have mentioned or what, but it is more of "just a car" shot to me. It doesn't have the same emotional impact.

And I know just enough to know that all three of these shots have insane amounts of ordered, specific and beautifully controlled technique behind them, and not enough to know *what* you did. ::impressed:: :)
    idiom wrote:
    I liked 2 the best as well. Thats a neat set tho, do you have any more?

Thanks, and yes I have more. I shot over a hundred frames. Many of them, however, are straight on "macro-ish" textures of the peeling paint, moldy glass, and window cracks that I now and then use as overlays for other projects.
    divamum wrote:
    From the n00b's perspective which, as I'm realising, IS different - my learning eye tends to see composition first followed by overall "story", and THEN technical elements. (As a tangent, this is particularly fascinating to me, since it's so related to the difference between how *I* have to approach my singing as a professional, and what an audience hears/perceives/would like to believe is the case: for me, I have to master the technique before I feel I can truly achieve the expressive qualities I want to - all the while making the technique *appear* completely transparent. Add to that, most importantly, sometimes intense expression can trump flawed technique by being so powerful as to transcend everyth8ing... and sometimes those "mistakes" are way, way, WAY more interesting than any technical "perfections".)

But I digress...... :)

Music...vocals and guitar, is also another passion of mine. I think that singing can indeed be paralleled to photography. A photographer should also be technically competent and even more so technically aware so that he/she can overcome the difficulties that are rooted between vision and print. Yes, sometimes intense expression trumps mistakes...and we will all take those "gifts".

On the other hand, I have, and am sure you have also heard more than one vocalist who has gone through intense training yet cannot convey that expressive quality...or passion that you speak of. This too can be paralleled to photography.:D
    And I know just enough to know that all three of these shots have insane amounts of ordered, specific and beautifully controlled technique behind them, and not enough to know *what* you did. ::impressed:: :)

Thank you for your kind remarks...AND for digressing.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Music...vocals and guitar, is also another passion of mine. I think that singing can indeed be paralleled to photography. A photographer should also be technically competent and even more so technically aware so that he/she can overcome the difficulties that are rooted between vision and print. Yes, sometimes intense expression trumps mistakes...and we will all take those "gifts".

On the other hand, I have, and am sure you have also heard more than one vocalist who has gone through intense training yet cannot convey that expressive quality...or passion that you speak of. This too can be paralleled to photography.:D

Oh boy.... YEAH!!! :)15524779-Ti.gif

In brief (since this is a subject which is dear to my heart and inspires an awful lot of verbiage if I'm not careful!): I guess the thing is always remembering that technique is the means to the end, and not the end itself (except in highly specific, intentional and self-defining cases). The parallel most definitely runs true, I think!

/further digression.... (for now mwink.gif)