HS Varsity Football (tips would be nice)

M-B-PhotographyM-B-Photography Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
edited September 14, 2008 in Sports
Hey there, This was my 3rd time shooting football, one time was just some friends playing at a local school, one was a Freshman day game, and this one, a Varsity night game (7:00).

I need some help with settings and whatnot.
Here is what I used last night:
40D with 430EX and 70-200 F4L.
I was running at ISO 1600, 1/250 and F4. I had High ISO speed noise reduction turned on, using AI Servo for most of the game, AI Focus for some.

What do you guys suggest as far as settings with this equipment to get the best possible quality?
I also have a Tamron 28-75 2.8 and a Canon 85 1.8 that I can use, but I dont think either is long enough. I also have a 100-400L IS.

Oh, and I am part of the school's yearbook team, so I am aloud anywhere as long as I stay out of the coaches way and stay off the playing field (but I can bee up to 3-5 feet from the line)

Anyways, here is what I got last night. CC would be great as well as the tips and suggestions.

371626091_tqzLq-L.jpg
371626465_dxord-L.jpg
371627588_r8Njv-L.jpg
371628628_vzNGV-L.jpg
371632982_C6wTQ-L.jpg
371629856_KbbcA-L.jpg
371634362_Qh4oH-L.jpg

You can see the rest on my SmugMug in my signature. Just go under sports-->football-->GGHS Varsity (9-12-0 8)

Thanks for looking!
and Thanks in advanced for any tips and such,
-Mike
Mike
My SmugMug

Comments

• jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2008
    Your shots look pretty good, but something you can do is get low to the ground. Most everybody shoots while standing. Be different and get low, shoot high.

You can also use the 85 1.8 for action close to the sidelines, and you may be able to use it without flash if the lighting is good.
  • donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    I'd suggest strightening yout horizons or making sure verticle lines are truely verticle.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    Also - shoot portrait orientation. You've got a lot of dead space in the frame and you cut the legs off the runner on an otherwise good photo. There are certain types of shots which look good in horizontal framing but surprisingly in high school, not many - at least not without long glass where the framing is very tight. So switch to portrait and you'll cut out unnecessary dead space and NOT cut out a runner's body parts.
  • M-B-PhotographyM-B-Photography Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited September 14, 2008
    Thank you all for your tips and suggestions! :D
    I will give them a try next gamethumb.gif
    Mike
    My SmugMug