cs3 tutorial book or CD/DVD

eyeguyeyeguy Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
edited September 18, 2008 in Finishing School
Hi All I am looking for a cs3 tutorial book CD/DVD to help me with the learning curve as I am new to the program do you have a suggestion as to the best or one that helped you out the most :dunno

Thanks
Dean

Comments

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2008
    I use the Scott Kelby Photoshop CS3 book and google :D I've also youtubed step by step help on certain things.
  • eyeguyeyeguy Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2008
    Thanks for the information
    Dogdots wrote:
    I use the Scott Kelby Photoshop CS3 book and google :D I've also youtubed step by step help on certain things.

Thanks for the infothumb.gif
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    eyeguy wrote:
    Thanks for the infothumb.gif

Your Welcome :D
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    eyeguy wrote:
    Hi All I am looking for a cs3 tutorial book CD/DVD to help me with the learning curve as I am new to the program do you have a suggestion as to the best or one that helped you out the most ne_nau.gif

Thanks
    Dean

I like the Kelby's seven point system for CS3 and there is a bunch of stuff on the web including on youtube and various pod-casts on itunes.
  • digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    I like Scott Kelby's web training at www.kelbytraining.com. Lot's of Photoshop related training for as little as $19.95 per month. Although you don't have a book that you can re-read over and over again, you can definitely go through a lot of video training in one month ...
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    aktse wrote:
    I like the Kelby's seven point system for CS3 and there is a bunch of stuff on the web including on youtube and various pod-casts on itunes.

+1 on the 7 point system. I bought the book a few weeks ago and it's been a tremendous help.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    Dogdots wrote:

I agree with Mary, that for someone with no previous exposure to Photoshop, or pixel editing software, that Kelby's Photoshop CS3 for Digital Photographers will help get you up to speed as fast as possible.

It is not filled with lots of theory, but follow me and do as I say. Once you can do this, then you can begin to learn more and vary your approach to an image as you add skills to your repertoire.

Photoshop is a large, complex piece of software with a dozen different ways to do the same thing, so it takes a while to master. Learn the short-cut keys - they really speed things up a lot as you work. Here is a nice page of shortcut keystrokes for PSCS
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • eyeguyeyeguy Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2008
    Thanks for the information
    Hi all

Thanks for all the great information.
    I will now enter the 7 step program rolleyes1.gif

Thanks
    Dean
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2008
    In the beginning of the 7-point book he talks about the difference between the two books that have been recommended to you in this thread.

Kelby's CS3 book goes through tons of useful photoshop features and explains how to use them. It's sort of a reference book for all things photoshop.

The 7-point book is different. In it he takes several pictures and goes from start to finish in making them pop. He has seven points that you need to learn - some pictures use all seven, some use less. The idea is that by repetition and by seeing which steps he chooses to use on particularly photos you'll be able to make the right decisions (and remember how to use the tools) on your own pictures.

So the normal CS3 book has significantly more information but the 7-point book is a really great teaching tool.