Out of water (#8) opinions needed....

JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
edited September 16, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
This old trawler was found in the middle of nowhere by a rock quarry mine in Chugiak. The ship itself is dated 1912. Not sure how long its been sitting here but apperently a long long time since it seems the trees are all that keeps it upright.
Which of these do you think would be better for the theme Weathered?
372061098_XvWzj-L-1.jpg

372060876_ymV7S-L-1.jpg

372053711_fD2vy-L-1.jpg

372049808_TMb3z-L-1.jpg

372057936_VNHPb-L-1.jpg

Which do you like better? 26 votes

30% 8 votes
3% 1 vote
53% 14 votes
11% 3 votes
0% 0 votes
6 try again
0% 0 votes

Comments

• idiomidiom Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2008
    That's a pretty sweet find. And I like 3 the best, I think it provides the best visual of the subject.
  • VelvtRideVelvtRide Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    I voted for #1. I like being able to see that the boat is outta the water and *somewhere* because you don't really see that it's mounted on something. Not only that, but it leaves behind a great "what happened" story. thumb.gif

Good luck!
  • Roaddog 52Roaddog 52 Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    Three for me. I really like this perspective. The top of the wheel house is a bit blown out, but I just like the colors and composition more than the others. It makes me wonder how did this wooden boat end up in the forest. headscratch.gif

regards,

P
    I don't know where I'm goin, but I'm goin anyway.
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    thanks for your input. I entered one that is like #3. I liked 3 the best too but felt it was a little too close...so found one that is the same angle just a wider angle.

You can see it on this thread post number 28

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=105073&page=3

If you all can let me know if you think it looks washed some or not, that would be great.

You can see the other pics of this neat trawler by clicking HERE. It goes for a couple pages.
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited September 15, 2008
    I like #1.
    Would like to see it in a B/W or sepia version. It might just add that extra umph.

But wow, what a great find, a boat in the middle of the woods, how awesome is that!!!
  • JzazziJzazzi Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2008
    I like #3 because it's a very odd contrast of boat and forest together. Where there should be sea spray there are tree trunks and leaves, very interesting. But at the same time, I think I can enjoy it because of the other photos to support it. Standing on it's own does not show the boat in a forest, decaying and barely supported by the trees. If you can find an angle to show some of this, while keeping the contrast of boat cabin/leaves, that would be fun.

Also, the cabin from this angle reminds me of a cabin (house) in the forest, but requires almost a second look to realize it's part of a boat.

-J
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited September 16, 2008
    This is the same perspective as number three but with more of the surrounding area to give an idea of the forest. Is it better than 3??
    372053854_bsLTs-L-1.jpg
  • PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    I personally like #3 better because I can see the peeling paint and moss more clearly. Also, for me, I don't feel like I need the extra context of the wider view to know that it's a ship in the middle of the woods. It's an amazing find and it would be hard to go wrong with any of these shots.
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    I like #4 for the same reason that Paul likes #3. rolleyes1.gif

What draws me to that photo in particular is the lovely curvature of the hull.
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    4 would be my first choice then 1... The bow of a boat is it's best feature... 2 is good also but a ships keel isn't as sexy as her bow... :D

Your subject is the old weathered boat, I'm not really interested in the trees, the other shots are too cluttered with trees they detract from the boat...

Winston
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    richtersl wrote:
    I like #4 for the same reason that Paul likes #3. rolleyes1.gif

What draws me to that photo in particular is the lovely curvature of the hull.

Like Linda said "the lovely curvature of the hull" Starting from the bow... very sexy

Winston