Help on #8

idiomidiom Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
edited September 17, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hello Everybody,

The other day, I had driven by some land that the city had 'taken over' in order to build a new highway. The folks that lived there were tree farmers, but had been evicted (so to speak) a few months ago.

I figured I had better have a walk through and see what I could find for this challenge. Up to this point I really had nothing. :D

I found it really hard to narrow it down to these, but I could use the CC and/or opinions for challenge #8.

1) "Retired.."
373542540_wCARD-M.jpg

2) "Untended"
371706773_X6Cbs-M.jpg

3) "Unbreakable Bond"
371706294_Tsg7D-M.jpg

4) "Rubiginous"
371704410_oyy2J-L.jpg

The highlight gallery from my shoot here is located at http://precise.smugmug.com/gallery/5960480_EtdWy#371701639_ZBDKh if anybody is interested.

Thank you very much for taking the time to look at my photos.

Comments

• RebeccaHelmRebeccaHelm Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited September 14, 2008
    I like them all a lot! Good work! thumb.gif Personally, the teapot shot works best for me. I love all the similar colors and shapes. It's like the teapot is weathering away into the background/foreground of color and line.
  • slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,215 Major grins
    I like them all a lot! Good work! thumb.gif Personally, the teapot shot works best for me. I love all the similar colors and shapes. It's like the teapot is weathering away into the background/foreground of color and line.

15524779-Ti.gif Very nice.

Sherry
  • tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    I like the skates.

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
    ----Ruth Ann Schubacker
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    I like the skates too, but #2 is interesting too. Good luck!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2008
    The skates are really cool. thumb.gif Is it possible possible to bring out some detail in the shadows on the left?
  • idiomidiom Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2008
    richtersl wrote:
    The skates are really cool. thumb.gif Is it possible possible to bring out some detail in the shadows on the left?

Hello, thanks for the input. I was able to pull out some color from the shadows for sure. The only thing I wasn't sure about was, does having so much visible background take away from the "punch" of the skates? I tried to keep the skates as close the exact same exposure I could, but they ended up a tad brighter. I do think it looks better overall. Here is orig and New:

Orig:
    371703314_AhGUE-L.jpg

New:
    373542540_wCARD-L.jpg

The problem with this shot, was the skates were hanging on that nail inside that dark grainery type building, and the only light in was from the door which wouldn't even fully open. I really wanted it natually lit, and didn't want to pull out a flash. And of course the shadows were huge behind every 4x4.

Thanks again for the opinions and suggestions.
    edited September 16, 2008
    Ok, I have tried something a bit different with the skates.

373846703_xDfJc-L.jpg

Thanks for looking.
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    actually the bw looks pretty good. I am wondering if you can kick up the contrast just a tad to make those skates pop?headscratch.gif
    Ok, Thanks for the suggestions everybody, much appreciated.

I think I am settling on the following:

374231817_J4SNU-L.jpg

EXIF
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2008
    I rather like it. One thing i would suggest is to clone out some of that debris in upper left quadrant, it's a little distracting.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
    I rather like it. One thing i would suggest is to clone out some of that debris in upper left quadrant, it's a little distracting.

I kind of thought that those grains throughout the photo added to the weathered/used/old look of the background. I certainly do appreciate the CC, maybe I could just tone down a few of the grains.

Thanks.
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    Agree with Pyro.
    Really like the latest processing.
    I would clone out the 5 or 6 small white flecks in the shadow area of the left quadrant.
    E
    Thanks again for the tips and suggestions. I have taken your advice and cleaned it up.

374833279_A3Jsf-L.jpg

It certainly does attract more attention to the subject this way.

Thanks again.