Options

Help... Resize Longest Edge??

Digital IllusionsDigital Illusions Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
edited September 15, 2008 in Finishing School
Ok, call me stupid but i was using some software a while back that had a batch process feature i really liked. the user could tell how long the longest edge would be and the process resized portrait or landscape images approperately.

my problem is i cannot remember what program that is... i have checked on Photoshop CS3, Bridge CS3, Lightroom 1.4, Elements 4, DDP, BreezeBrowser and i cannot find this feature on any of them. :dunno

do you know what program i am looking for? :scratch
Brian C. Gailey, Owner / Operator
Digital Illusions Photography & Design
1764 Shawna Ct, Klamath Falls OR, 97603
Email | Website | Blog | Facebook | MySpace |Newsletter | Subscribe

"The Race is long but in the end it is only with yourself" ~Unknown

Comments

• Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2008
    Ok, call me stupid but i was using some software a while back that had a batch process feature i really liked. the user could tell how long the longest edge would be and the process resized portrait or landscape images approperately.

my problem is i cannot remember what program that is... i have checked on Photoshop CS3, Bridge CS3, Lightroom 1.4, Elements 4, DDP, BreezeBrowser and i cannot find this feature on any of them. ne_nau.gif

do you know what program i am looking for? headscratch.gif

Automate -> Fit Image in Photoshop does exactly what you describe, just give it square dimensions. It will resize so that the longer edge matches the size.

Lightroom's export resizing works in the same way with Width&Height and also has Short and Long Edge modes.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    It might possibly be the Image Processor script that can be invoked from Bridge or directly in Photoshop. I have used this script for a long time to resize large batches of photos.

In Bridge, it can be found under Tools->Photoshop->Image Processor. First highlight one or more photos, then run the script.

In the Section #3 (File Type), you can select the check box "resize to fit". Put the same pixel length for both the Width and the Height, and all your photos will have the same longest length, regardless of orientation.

The same script can be run within Photoshop under File->Scripts->Image Processor.

Lightroom 2 has the same ability under Export. Didn't ever use version 1, but I assume it was there too.
  • Options
    I updated my Lighroom to 1.4.1 and found what i was looking for. thanks. clap.gif

• Options
    aguntheragunther Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    Irfanview
    I updated my Lighroom to 1.4.1 and found what i was looking for. thanks. clap.gif

Sounds exactly like Irfanview to me. I always use their batch processor to get my shots ready for online posting. Their batch works very fast.
    Here it is (free):
    Irfanview
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2008
    Englighten Please

Look like I am going to need to do this to a lot of my images also....so please explain your work flow and was this in LR 1.4?

Thank You
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    ClubFlysClubFlys Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    When you export in LightRoom, you have the option to change some of the export settings. One of them is for Image Settings > Resize to Fit

Simply place a check in that box and choose Long Edge from the pull down menu next to it. You can then input the desired length and unit of measure.
  • Options
    Art Scott wrote:
    Look like I am going to need to do this to a lot of my images also....so please explain your work flow and was this in LR 1.4?

Thank You

i could not find this option in LR 1.4 after i installed the update of LR 1.4.1 i then found the option.

but yes, like mentioned above, it is in the export feature.

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    ClubFlys wrote:
    When you export in LightRoom, you have the option to change some of the export settings. One of them is for Image Settings > Resize to Fit

Simply place a check in that box and choose Long Edge from the pull down menu next to it. You can then input the desired length and unit of measure.

i could not find this option in LR 1.4 after i installed the update of LR 1.4.1 i then found the option.

but yes, like mentioned above, it is in the export feature.

Thanks to both of you.......it is appreciated.bowdown.gifbow
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website