moving up from my old rebel

lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
edited September 16, 2008 in Cameras
Hi all... my old Canon Rebel is ... well.. old. I'm going to move up to an XTI maybe? all my batteries, lenses etc are compatable right?
Also any input on the xti would be appreciated.
Lynn

Comments

• cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2008
    lynnma wrote:
    Hi all... my old Canon Rebel is ... well.. old. I'm going to move up to an XTI maybe? all my batteries, lenses etc are compatable right?
    Also any input on the xti would be appreciated.
    Lynn

Lynn...I recently upgraded from my XT. My Dad has a XTi, and the differences are so minor as to be no reason to move. The bigger screen is nice, but thats about it. The XSi might be a bigger upgrade, since it adds better autofocus, and spot meter among other nice upgrades.

I looked hard at the options, tried everything..and choose the 40D. At first I was worried about the size, but after a week, I much prefer it, in fact I don't like holding the XT any longer. Oh and I have very small hands.

However, the biggest thing is that the 40D really excels when it comes to shooting: it is the closest to the manual control I used to have back in the non-autofocus film days. I can actually shot in manual and find it useful: the 40D makes use of both the wheel near the shutter button , and the wheel on the back of the camera (use your thumb). One controls apeture, the other shutter speed. On the Xt and XTi, you have to push a button and spin the wheel, and going between shutter and aperature just isnt simple and useful.

Also, if you think you prefer to stay with the XTi, then don't look through the viewfinder of a 40D. Don't. One look and you will never go back.

Good luck!
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    cmason wrote:
    Lynn...I recently upgraded from my XT. My Dad has a XTi, and the differences are so minor as to be no reason to move. The bigger screen is nice, but thats about it. The XSi might be a bigger upgrade, since it adds better autofocus, and spot meter among other nice upgrades.

I looked hard at the options, tried everything..and choose the 40D. At first I was worried about the size, but after a week, I much prefer it, in fact I don't like holding the XT any longer. Oh and I have very small hands.

However, the biggest thing is that the 40D really excels when it comes to shooting: it is the closest to the manual control I used to have back in the non-autofocus film days. I can actually shot in manual and find it useful: the 40D makes use of both the wheel near the shutter button , and the wheel on the back of the camera (use your thumb). One controls apeture, the other shutter speed. On the Xt and XTi, you have to push a button and spin the wheel, and going between shutter and aperature just isnt simple and useful.

Also, if you think you prefer to stay with the XTi, then don't look through the viewfinder of a 40D. Don't. One look and you will never go back.

Good luck!
    Hi thanks for reply... 40D is too expensive for me..maybe I should look around for a good price on an XSI...headscratch.gif
    lynnma wrote:
    Hi thanks for reply... 40D is too expensive for me..maybe I should look around for a good price on an XSI...headscratch.gif

Understand...you may then want to consider a 30D as well, since it is comparable to the 40D, and you get similar capabilities. Plenty available at good prices. And with the 50D out now, in a few months 40Ds will get affordable.

You could also consider what I did: bought the 40D kit, and sold the 28-135 lens, which gave me a good discount on the 40D.
    cmason wrote:
    Understand...you may then want to consider a 30D as well, since it is comparable to the 40D, and you get similar capabilities. Plenty available at good prices. And with the 50D out now, in a few months 40Ds will get affordable.

You could also consider what I did: bought the 40D kit, and sold the 28-135 lens, which gave me a good discount on the 40D.

Looking at the 30D looks like the batteries are different to my c511 7.4v lithium - may not be but I have like $200 in batteries that I don't want to waste.. whaddya think..ne_nau.gif
    lynnma wrote:
    Looking at the 30D looks like the batteries are different to my c511 7.4v lithium - may not be but I have like $200 in batteries that I don't want to waste.. whaddya think..ne_nau.gif
    How can this camera body be so cheap?? too good to be true??
    http://www.thecameraprofessionals.com/prodetails.asp?prodid=567968&gclid=CLHV9pnE25UCFQTEGgodNAdAZA

anyone know this company?? ne_nau.gif
    lynnma wrote:
    How can this camera body be so cheap?? too good to be true??
    http://www.thecameraprofessionals.com/prodetails.asp?prodid=567968&gclid=CLHV9pnE25UCFQTEGgodNAdAZA

anyone know this company?? ne_nau.gif

May want to consider staying away from this outfit:

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/TheCameraProfessionals

btw, the batteries for the 20/30/40D are not compatible with the 350/400/450D cameras
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    lynnma wrote:
    Battery life on a 30D is extremely good. Add a couple of third party batteries at about $20 each and you will be good for thousands of shots before recharging.
    Richard wrote:
    Battery life on a 30D is extremely good. Add a couple of third party batteries at about $20 each and you will be good for thousands of shots before recharging.
    Hey Richard how are you?? I keep lusting after the XSI (more mega pixels) ... I'm now completely confused as to which way to go.

Thanks mason for the link to the ratings website.. very good. Another company Lenses N More I was looking at had a terrible review!! you get what you pay for I guess..
    I've loved my old D Rebel but she's getting very cranky - sigh.. now I want the D40 but can't afford it..:cry
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    Input on XTI

Wonder full camera but small viewfinder and battery life is bad.

I enjoyed using 30D of my friend large body and viewfinder makes really a difference, and battery life is far better too shutter is also durable.

The only thing of XTI that i prefer on 30D is LCD
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    lynnma wrote:
    Hey Richard how are you?? I keep lusting after the XSI (more mega pixels) ... I'm now completely confused as to which way to go.

Thanks mason for the link to the ratings website.. very good. Another company Lenses N More I was looking at had a terrible review!! you get what you pay for I guess..
    I've loved my old D Rebel but she's getting very cranky - sigh.. now I want the D40 but can't afford it..:cry

I'd get a used 20D or 30D. Infact, I did last year when the 40D had hit the stores - my ye olde 300D (aka the original Digital Rebel) is now an IR-modified sidekick to a 20D.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    I have 3 - XT/350D bodies. I plan on keeping them 'till they fail. All were purchased used and one was an IR conversion.

The XT is still a fine producer of quality images. I no longer use them professionally, but they produce professional results when used with good glass and good technique.

I agree with CMason that the XSi is more of an upgrade than the XTi, but I believe the XSi uses SD media. If you have a base of CF media and batteries you wish to preserve, the XTi may make some sense.

If you intend to sell the XT, the batteries could be sold with it.

Just a lot of thoughts out-loud I'm afraid.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    pyry wrote:
    I'd get a used 20D or 30D. Infact, I did last year when the 40D had hit the stores - my ye olde 300D (aka the original Digital Rebel) is now an IR-modified sidekick to a 20D.

Thanks pyry and Awais... yes, thats what I have ye olde Rebel.. I'll look again at the 30D..:D
    lynnma wrote:
    Thanks pyry and Awais... yes, thats what I have ye olde Rebel.. I'll look again at the 30D..:D

Then your batteries will fit too, the 300D uses the same bp-511 packs as the entire x0D series. Go for it, the difference between the 300D and even the 20D is night and day - you wont believe it until you've had it for two weeks.
    Creativity's hard.

wings.gif
    pyry wrote:
    Then your batteries will fit too, the 300D uses the same bp-511 packs as the entire x0D series. Go for it, the difference between the 300D and even the 20D is night and day - you wont believe it until you've had it for two weeks.
    Oooooh - now I have to find the perfect one!!!!
  • astevens54astevens54 Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    I've been using my 350D for a couple years now and enjoy it. I learn something new everyday and use Photoshop CS3 for my digital darkroom. I would like to venture out into the semi pro world and am thinking about the 50D or the 5D. The 5D would mean me having to buy new lens' if I understand what I am being told. The 5D is a bit outside my price range, but I really like the CMOS sensor size.
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    Well,
    I've had the Digital Rebel and have the XTi Rebel and 30D currently.
    As mentioned before, the battery will work in a 30D but not in an XTi. Having said that one battery should last you a day of shooting and third party replacement battery should be under $20 so that shouldn't be a big deal IMO.

As for the difference between the XTi and the 30D, the 30D has more features and is much more robust. If you shoot a lot, I'd probably go for the 30D. IMO, the 30D has less noise as well.

The XTi is smaller and lighter and easier to carry around casually. It's anti dust feature is nice and effective too.

Image quality wise, I prefer the 30D for it's slightly quieter noise level.

Good luck.
    edited September 15, 2008
    lynnma wrote:
    wings.gif
    Oooooh - now I have to find the perfect one!!!!

Just as long as it works, it's clean, no dents or scratches worth talking about and has a lowish click count. In short you wouldn't want my camera :D

I've put mine through rain, freezing temperatures, water spray, a bump or two and a puddle - a 20D can take quite a lot, weather sealed or not.
    Creativity's hard.

• spnshizspnshiz Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited September 16, 2008
    my own humble opinion
    pyry wrote:
    Just as long as it works, it's clean, no dents or scratches worth talking about and has a lowish click count. In short you wouldn't want my camera :D

I've put mine through rain, freezing temperatures, water spray, a bump or two and a puddle - a 20D can take quite a lot, weather sealed or not.

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and was reading the string and thought I would add my two cents. First for the disclaimer, I am an amateur photographer who has had a business fall in my lap while using my own Rebel XTi to shoot pictures of my daughter playing soccer on the highschool varsity team. Next thing I knew I had a fledgling little photography business and my hobby has become my husband and I's passion.

I used the Rebel XTi for most of the the season early in the year between January and April...the coldest months here in Texas and that camera performed like a champ. But when it became obvious that I could make money with my hobby my husband and I decided to upgrade.

Now fortunately for us we had the cash to do this without going into debt and we purchased two Canon 40D kits and one 70-200 lense, but it's not an IS. We love them, and passed on the XTi to our 16 year old daughter and I have to tell you that she takes just as good a picture.

However, I have to say that the upgrade to the 40D is worth saving for and worth every penny we have spent.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited September 16, 2008
    spnshiz wrote:
    Hello,

I'm new to the forum and was reading the string and thought I would add my two cents. First for the disclaimer, I am an amateur photographer who has had a business fall in my lap while using my own Rebel XTi to shoot pictures of my daughter playing soccer on the highschool varsity team. Next thing I knew I had a fledgling little photography business and my hobby has become my husband and I's passion.

I used the Rebel XTi for most of the the season early in the year between January and April...the coldest months here in Texas and that camera performed like a champ. But when it became obvious that I could make money with my hobby my husband and I decided to upgrade.

Now fortunately for us we had the cash to do this without going into debt and we purchased two Canon 40D kits and one 70-200 lense, but it's not an IS. We love them, and passed on the XTi to our 16 year old daughter and I have to tell you that she takes just as good a picture.

However, I have to say that the upgrade to the 40D is worth saving for and worth every penny we have spent.

Spnshiz, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Thanks for the story and the recommendation.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums