A quick question

lazzaramlazzaram Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
edited September 15, 2008 in Sports
I was looking for some info that im sure someone out there could give me some advice on. Im want to go and shoot a soccer game at a local community college that i have taken some classes at. I guess my questions are should i contact the coach before hand through email or should i just go shoot. Also what about model release forms for the players i only plan on using the pics on smugmug and in a portfolio. Im all ears for suggestions. Thanks in advance

Comments

• erson83erson83 Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2008
    no...and no! As a public event, there is no need to contact the coach...and as adults in that event, there is no need for releases. I shoot alot of college events in town and I just walk right on up and begin shooting. It helps to walk with a purpose. I sometimes ge3t right on the sideline, under the basket. If you look like you're supposed to be there, you will more likely then not be ok. Especially if you have cool glass!
  • lazzaramlazzaram Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    erson83 wrote:
    no...and no! As a public event, there is no need to contact the coach...and as adults in that event, there is no need for releases. I shoot alot of college events in town and I just walk right on up and begin shooting. It helps to walk with a purpose. I sometimes ge3t right on the sideline, under the basket. If you look like you're supposed to be there, you will more likely then not be ok. Especially if you have cool glass!

thats great thank you and yes my wife loves me very much and bought me a cool glass
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    it depends. If all you want to be is a hobbyist taking snapshots then the other poster is correct - you can walk up and shoot. But if you are actually interested in quality sports photography I would abandon the "just walk with a purpose" approach. Because you can improve greatly the quality of your photos by shooting from inside the fence / just off the touchline.

So I would, indeed, talk to the coach. The worst that can happen is he can say "no" and you're at the same place you would be anyways. The best that can happen is he can agree and you shoot from the field and get much better shots.

You'd be surprised how well you can do when you ACT like a pro instead of just trying to look like one. And by that I don't mean pretending your a professional shooter just behaving in a professional manner. Again, nothing to lose and a lot to gain.
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    +1.

You don't need to, but ask the coach anyway. He also has emails of the players and knows the other coaches on campus and other schools too. Network!
    I do believe I suggested that the poster walk right onto the sideline and or under the basket...where the pros belong. you sir, are a jerk
    erson83 wrote:
    I do believe I suggested that the poster walk right onto the sideline and or under the basket...where the pros belong. you sir, are a jerk

It's just good advice and courtesy. Your approach encourages everyone who has a camera to walk up to a sporting event and fire away anywhere they want. It gives the pros who actually know what they are doing a bad name because they get lumped with the guys who get in the way. It's a public event, but the sidelines and courts are the coaches and umpires. Courtesy is the best approach.
  • nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    jonh68 wrote:
    It's just good advice and courtesy. Your approach encourages everyone who has a camera to walk up to a sporting event and fire away anywhere they want. It gives the pros who actually know what they are doing a bad name because they get lumped with the guys who get in the way. It's a public event, but the sidelines and courts are the coaches and umpires. Courtesy is the best approach.

Well said.
    you sir, are a jerk

Not well said. rolleyes1.gif
    Ok thank you everyone for your advice i just was looking for some advice i did not want to start a verbal sparing match. I emailed the coach out of courtsy and to network that was a good idea. Once again thank you all for the advice
  • nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    erson83 wrote:
    and as adults in that event, there is no need for releases.

You shouldn't post misinformation like that.

The OP also stated he wanted to use the photos in his portfolio. Which means 'for promotional purposes', ie; advertising, which means he needs a release for the shots he want's to use for advertising purposes.
    nipprdog wrote:
    Quit being a jerk, and posting misinformation like that.

The OP stated he wanted to use the photos in his portfolio. Which means 'for promotional purposes', ie; advertising, which means he needs a release.

Period.

ok so i would need a release form signed even if i just posted them on smugmug
    lazzaram wrote:
    ok so i would need a release form signed even if i just posted them on smugmug

Just posting them on smugmug you don't need a release. You may need to check to see if there is a photog who has rights to sell pics before you make them available for purchase, even if it's at cost.
    edited September 15, 2008
    jonh68 wrote:
    Just posting them on smugmug you don't need a release. You may need to check to see if there is a photog who has rights to sell pics before you make them available for purchase, even if it's at cost.

Ok anothter dumb question how would i find out if there was someone with the rights
  • jbr13jbr13 Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    lazzaram wrote:
    Ok anothter dumb question how would i find out if there was someone with the rights

You should be able to find out that information from the coach or athletics director.

I am not sure if portfolio is considered commercial use??? Anyone else on this one?

J
    Jason

http://jbr.smugmug.com/

"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced... Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice"
  • cecilccecilc Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    erson83 wrote:
    I shoot alot of college events in town and I just walk right on up and begin shooting. It helps to walk with a purpose. I sometimes get right on the sideline, under the basket.

You know, I imagine that in a small town or a small college you might be able to get away with that kind of attitude and behavior ....

But at a larger college where sideline access (or courtside access) is more tightly controlled, that "walk right on up" kind of thinking just won't work.

My recommendation would be to contact the AD (the coach really doesn't want to be bothered with this - and this kind of thing IS the AD's job!). Introduce yourself and be very upfront with them as to what you're trying to do. Most will be very receptive to you ....

Ask the AD if there's someone the college is already working with on photography - if there is, you might want to contact the other shooter and let them know what you're up to .... otherwise, and with the AD's blessing, then you can "walk right on up" and shoot away.

But history has taught me that some advance notice and communication go a long way to enhancing your image as a photographer .... and it's just common courtesy ...
    Cecil
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Photos at SportsShooter
    cecilc wrote:
    You know, I imagine that in a small town or a small college you might be able to get away with that kind of attitude and behavior ....

But at a larger college where sideline access (or courtside access) is more tightly controlled, that "walk right on up" kind of thinking just won't work.

My recommendation would be to contact the AD (the coach really doesn't want to be bothered with this - and this kind of thing IS the AD's job!). Introduce yourself and be very upfront with them as to what you're trying to do. Most will be very receptive to you ....

Ask the AD if there's someone the college is already working with on photography - if there is, you might want to contact the other shooter and let them know what you're up to .... otherwise, and with the AD's blessing, then you can "walk right on up" and shoot away.

But history has taught me that some advance notice and communication go a long way to enhancing your image as a photographer .... and it's just common courtesy ...

I agree--I shoot at a d3 college. My advice was based on his question..shooting a community college. You certainly would not be able to walk right on at Notre Dame! Well said