Spots showing on images, not dust!

KvPhotoKvPhoto Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
edited September 15, 2008 in Cameras
I have a Canon Rebel XTi and noticed when taking photos of the lights at the World Trade Center Site spots on my images. These spots are only showing up as green, blue or red spots in the darker exposures. Which is why I don't think it is dust on the sensor, that would show up as dark spots on lighter exposures. When converted from RAW to JPEG they disappear and when I open the RAW file in Photoshop they almost all disappear as well. Any thoughts on what is making this happen and how to fix it?
Thanks all!
Kristina

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited September 14, 2008
    KvPhoto wrote:
    I have a Canon Rebel XTi and noticed when taking photos of the lights at the World Trade Center Site spots on my images. These spots are only showing up as green, blue or red spots in the darker exposures. Which is why I don't think it is dust on the sensor, that would show up as dark spots on lighter exposures. When converted from RAW to JPEG they disappear and when I open the RAW file in Photoshop they almost all disappear as well. Any thoughts on what is making this happen and how to fix it?
    Thanks all!
    Kristina

Sounds like it is noise. Post a 100% crop example and give us the details of your workflow so we can better understand what happened to make it go away.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,081 moderator
    Kristina,

It sounds like you are reviewing the images on the camera with the image zoomed way in. The camera's LCD display is pretty high contrast and should not be used as an absolute measure of image quality. High ISO settings make the noise even worse.

As long as the images look good on the computer and in printed form, you have nothing to worry about.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    They could also be hot pixels, every camera has a few pixels that register at full brightness, even more in long exposures.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/hot-pixels/index.htm

Most raw converters (adobe's one is especially good) will regognise hot pixels and get rid of them as part of the noise reduction.
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • KvPhotoKvPhoto Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2008
    Ziggy,
    I am not viewing in the viewfinder but on the computer.
    In Bridge as RA images the spots are there. When they are converted to JPEG through image processor or opened from RAW in photoshop they disappear. It is sounding like they are hot spots. I don't do much for night photography so it wouldnt be unusual for me to only notice them now
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2008
    sounds like hot pixels, can you post the image here?