Options

Riverscape

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited May 1, 2005 in Landscapes
This is a tributary of the Charles River in Waltham, MA that I found this afternoon. I've been to the mouth in a kayak, but couldn't get under the bridge and upstream. Today, I explored on foot.

20843088-L.jpg
If not now, when?

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited April 29, 2005
    I love the color in the trees and the still water. Just starting to see some
    color in the clouds as well. It's a nice looking lazy river.

This is a shot that could probably benefit from a half ND filter with a
    soft edge. That might help cut down the OE look to the sky.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2005
    lovely calm scene, love reflection and overall color thumb.gif
    sky IMHO could be darker/richer
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2005
    Interesting. I worked to get this color. Maybe I'll have to have my visual taste centers calibrated. After that, perhaps I'll reedit.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    MuskyDudeMuskyDude Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2005
    Beautiful shot, Rutt. Reminds me of some really small, really productive fishing waters around my place, very peaceful. It's lovely...thumb.gif

AJ
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2005
    Here is another try. The A+B steepening is really pushed to the metal this time, especially the blue side of the B curve. Too much?

20862599-L.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Here is another try. The A+B steepening is really pushed to the metal this time, especially the blue side of the B curve. Too much?

20862599-L.jpg
    this is much nicer, imhothumb.gif great reflections off the water.
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2005
    rutt wrote:

20862599-L.jpg
    Your vision has been recalibrated thumb.gifclap.gif
    really like what you did here!! :cool
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2005
    I thought the first on ewas just fine but you really did a great job with the edited version. Love how your brought out the colors. Thnxs for sharing.
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2005
    Hmmm.

For me, I guess it comes down to taste. I like the first one better on my monitor, because I see really nice colour detail in the entire tree and a similar reflection in the water. The sky, although pale, still looks a realistic colour to me.

The second attempt has a deep blue sky that looks great, but the trees are dark and lose a lot of detail towards the waters edge. The reflections for me are a darker mass. Overall the colours are more vibrant.

So as I look at the two photos over and over, the second one emphasizes the sky and its reflection, the first emphasizes the trees and their reflection.

I often have this same dilemma when I use a Velvia action. The colours look more vibrant, but somewhat unnatural. Yet this is the version that we often prefer.

My only suggestion would be to consider cropping the first one from the top (down to about the little branch sticking out on the left) or the second one from the bottom (about the same amount). This removes the overly light or overly dark portions of the photos.

Just my 2 cents.

Brad
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited April 30, 2005
    The color of the second one is better but like digismile says, lots of detail
    is lost and the trees lose a bit of brightness.

In this case, I'd say the first one is better. Maybe even consider a crop
    instead?

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    SusanBSusanB Registered Users Posts: 281 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2005
    Gorgeous! thumb.gifclap clap.gif If you don't mind the suggestion, I'd crop off the bottom up to just below where the leaves on the lower left of the image start.mwink.gif

Susan