Is full frame worth it?

EkajEkaj Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
edited September 15, 2008 in Cameras
I am having trouble deciding on my next purchase. I have shot a D300 for the majority of the time I have been involved in photography. I started originally using a nikon 6006 film camera, and a Canon rebel after that. Once I realized I wanted to devote a lot of energy and time to photography I picked up a D300.

I am now in a quandary over whether or not to get a D700 + nikon 14-24 or a nikon 14-24 and 24-70. The problem is, I want a wide lens, but I don't want to make a large investment (or any investment really) into DX glass. So the 14-24 may be overkill on the D300 for the time being, but I know I will be going full frame eventually. I have a few nice primes (a 24 and a 50) in the range of the 24-70, so it is not a huge priority for me at the moment but I would really like a zoom in this range.

I have the cash available for either choice but I am having trouble deciding. Anyone have any input they might like to share?

Thanks in advance,

Jake

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2008
    I have been having the same quandary for quite some time......until just a few short years ago I had shot 35mm and 2 1/4 and then with the advent of digital I have been torn since I lost several rolls of film from my Czech Republic Vacation in 2003.....however since I shoot mostly outdoors: landscapes and wild life for the art of it and for paying the bills it is portraits and weddings...
    here was my quandary.....I was used to the 35mm format and did all of my cropping in the viewfinder......I tried that with my first decent digital and it was off quite a bit...so I bought 2 DSLRs and tried again and the same thing my in cam cropping wasn't working.....also no user friendly interchangable focus screens.....so when the D700 was born I thought...here is my ticket.....BUUUUT that means I go back to my 24-70 being just a 24-70 and not a 36-105.......so I did a little digging and found my work around at Katz Eye......a cropped lined focus screens for the D300....all I have to do is learn to watch them and my subjects.......so now I am back to looking at the D300 for ALL my work......I just do not want to give up the 1.5crop factor for my wildlife work and I can loose abit on the wide side but that only means buying a wider lens that will figure in to somewhere around an actual 18mm or 20mm lens....so it may be I should be looking at the 10-20 or 12-24 for my wide angles.....my only concern aboutthe D300 is noise in the 1600+ ISO shooting...........
    I want to stay with ANikon once I get back to it do to the ability to actually attach a GPS unit directly to camera so that locations are immediately writen to the exif fils
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2008
    Having gone back to FF, I can say emphatically—YES. Not so much if you need the extra reach for telephoto needs, but the change has been the best move for me at least. Viva wide angle!
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    Of the subject question,

ART do you have a link to where you get your focus screens?

Thanks for your time
    Art Scott wrote:
    I have been having the same quandary for quite some time......until just a few short years ago I had shot 35mm and 2 1/4 and then with the advent of digital I have been torn since I lost several rolls of film from my Czech Republic Vacation in 2003.....however since I shoot mostly outdoors: landscapes and wild life for the art of it and for paying the bills it is portraits and weddings...
    here was my quandary.....I was used to the 35mm format and did all of my cropping in the viewfinder......I tried that with my first decent digital and it was off quite a bit...so I bought 2 DSLRs and tried again and the same thing my in cam cropping wasn't working.....also no user friendly interchangable focus screens.....so when the D700 was born I thought...here is my ticket.....BUUUUT that means I go back to my 24-70 being just a 24-70 and not a 36-105.......so I did a little digging and found my work around at Katz Eye......a cropped lined focus screens for the D300....all I have to do is learn to watch them and my subjects.......so now I am back to looking at the D300 for ALL my work......I just do not want to give up the 1.5crop factor for my wildlife work and I can loose abit on the wide side but that only means buying a wider lens that will figure in to somewhere around an actual 18mm or 20mm lens....so it may be I should be looking at the 10-20 or 12-24 for my wide angles.....my only concern aboutthe D300 is noise in the 1600+ ISO shooting...........
    I want to stay with ANikon once I get back to it do to the ability to actually attach a GPS unit directly to camera so that locations are immediately writen to the exif fils
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    barrotj wrote:
    Of the subject question,

ART do you have a link to where you get your focus screens?

Thanks for your time

Sure.......... Katz Eye ..........This is where I will be getting them as soon as the D300 start arriving.....middle next month I hope.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    Awesome, thanks for the link.
    Art Scott wrote:
    Sure.......... Katz Eye ..........This is where I will be getting them as soon as the D300 start arriving.....middle next month I hope.
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    I used film and slides for many years. Tried the 300D (Rebel) first as that was the first affortable high pixels DSLR in the year of 2003. I bought is after observed the reviews for almost a year.
    Not satisfied with the crop sensor then moved to 5D FF. Really happy with it for 2 year. So far no regret. I can see what i used to see in the film camera. The bigger sensor has more light sensitivity, more dynamic color and less noise at low lights.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
    barrotj wrote:
    Awesome, thanks for the link.
    Sure No Prob..... My pleasure........I live to be of service to others, in any way I can. bowdown.gif

• cabinetbuffcabinetbuff Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    YES it's worth it -- pair D700 with 14-24 and you'll never look back. thumb.gif