Options

Studio Lighting

mike_c1019mike_c1019 Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited September 16, 2008 in Accessories
I am new to studio lighting and am considering purchasing one of the following light set ups that meet my budget. Does any one have any info on which one may be best, or any other suggestions before I buy?

Product Option 1:Calumet Genisis Monolight 200 comes with 45" umbrella and a 10' stand, sync cord, power cord, 150w modeling lamp. It has a Guide Number (which I do not understand yet) of 125 and a 1-3sec recycle time. $169.99 + tax and shipping.

Product Option 2:Adorama Flashpoint Monolight 320 comes with 40" umbrella and a 10' stand, sync cord, power cord. Guide Number is 118 and 1.2 sec recycle time. $159.95 + tax and shipping.

And info will help.

Thanks
Mike

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2008
    Have you looked at Paul C Buff's White Lightning or Alien Bee's lines.....very good build quality (made in Nashville Tn).....excellent customer service........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,866 moderator
    edited September 15, 2008
    mike_c1019 wrote:
    I am new to studio lighting and am considering purchasing one of the following light set ups that meet my budget. Does any one have any info on which one may be best, or any other suggestions before I buy?

Product Option 1:Calumet Genisis Monolight 200 comes with 45" umbrella and a 10' stand, sync cord, power cord, 150w modeling lamp. It has a Guide Number (which I do not understand yet) of 125 and a 1-3sec recycle time. $169.99 + tax and shipping.

Product Option 2:Adorama Flashpoint Monolight 320 comes with 40" umbrella and a 10' stand, sync cord, power cord. Guide Number is 118 and 1.2 sec recycle time. $159.95 + tax and shipping.

And info will help.

Thanks
    Mike

I have the FlashPoint II monolights and I like them a lot. Power consistancy pop-to-pop is very good and repeatability is also very good. (Measured with a Gossen Luna-Pro F meter and confirmed with camera.)

Do keep in mind that you are buying into a system. The only (somewhat) universally compatible components are the umbrellas and the light stand mount. Soft boxes, reflector dishes, barn doors, etc. are all pretty specific to the monolight. Just make sure the desired accessories are available for the system you purchase.

I don't have experience with the Calumet Genesis but my experience with Calumet has been pretty good as a whole.

Like Art says, the Alien Bee (AB) line has a great following and good reputation. White Lightning is from the same manufacturer but with a little higher quality and cost.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2008
    Ditto to Art. Look at the Bees. I bought a pair of B800s and I really like them. They have paid for themselves 4x over the last 3 months for me. You can get lots of third-party products that will work with AB/WL/Balcar speedrings so you have a lot of flexibility using non Alien Bee softboxes, etc.

Cheers,
    David