Options

Afterhours- **NSFW**

anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
edited September 22, 2008 in Go Figure
I have a friend recently diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer that wanted a lingerie type shoot done before she starts treatments. Though I have always wanted to, I had never done a shoot like this before. I really didn't know how to pose her and was doing lighting on fly. Here are just a few of the ones I have edited so far.

Feedback is always appreciated.

372827714_e4iis-L.jpg

372828898_R2jfA-L.jpg

3. This one is straight out of camera except for minor crop and slight Grey point adjustment. :D
372829550_SsE6z-L.jpg

372831020_xUffi-L.jpg

In an old chair
372831233_JhPJw-XL.jpg

In a dinning chair
372831099_WzCLZ-X2.jpg

In the bed

372831595_HRPG6-L.jpg

372832106_DU2sT-L.jpg
"The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2008
    Aaron,
    nice series! It's a great thing you did for her and I think it played out nicely. thumb.gif
    I'd only say that both lowkey and hikey ones look a bit sterile for me, especially lowkey ones - it looks like she's hanging in void. Also a bit too much of a dead space around, but maybe it's just me.

I like 5,7 and 8 (8 modulo tighter cropping). clap.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    Nikolai wrote:
    Aaron,
    nice series! It's a great thing you did for her and I think it played out nicely. thumb.gif
    I'd only say that both lowkey and hikey ones look a bit sterile for me, especially lowkey ones - it looks like she's hanging in void. Also a bit too much of a dead space around, but maybe it's just me.

I like 5,7 and 8 (8 modulo tighter cropping). clap.gif

Thanks Nik. Yeap I have other versions of #8 that are tighter cropped. Just sharing some different looks.

To eliminate the void you describe I can only crop correct? How could I have posed her different or set up lights different?

Aaron Newman

• Options
    anwmn1 wrote:
    To eliminate the void you describe I can only crop correct? How could I have posed her different or set up lights different?

Aaron, please take the following with the grain of salt since it's only my personal biases.. mwink.gif
    1) tighter crop - yes.
    2) as I said earlier, lowkey ones do not provide *any* idea of the background or support, leaving her hanging.
    3) lighting is a bit flat/bland to my taste. Rim/hair would prolly help.
    HTH
  • Options
    i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    I'm actually a fan of 6&7. All of the other frames the model seems to be out of place, like she's not truly comfortable. On 6&7, however, the grin cracks and it just seems more natural.

Either way you cut it, great round of shots!
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • Options
    Nikolai wrote:
    Aaron, please take the following with the grain of salt since it's only my personal biases.. mwink.gif
    1) tighter crop - yes.
    2) as I said earlier, lowkey ones do not provide *any* idea of the background or support, leaving her hanging.
    3) lighting is a bit flat/bland to my taste. Rim/hair would prolly help.
    HTH

Salt taken mwink.gif

Hair light I agree would help but since I ain't got one- I didn't use one.

I am only working with two strobes and only with umbrellas. I guess I could have used a flash unit or found a way to bounce some light that direction.

As far as the hanging- I guess that is actually what I was going for in those shots. Most of the artistic shots I had looked at were very similar to this- just better.

Aaron Newman

• Options
    I'm actually a fan of 6&7. All of the other frames the model seems to be out of place, like she's not truly comfortable. On 6&7, however, the grin cracks and it just seems more natural.

Either way you cut it, great round of shots!

Thanks for the comments.

She is not a model so wasn't real comfortable- heck neither was I rolleyes1.gif

It took a little while for both of us and then I tried to keep her smiling and laughing even though she was trying not too.

I prefer the real emotion too. deal.gif

Aaron Newman

• Options
    anwmn1 wrote:
    I am only working with two strobes and only with umbrellas. I guess I could have used a flash unit or found a way to bounce some light that direction.

"You don't have to light it all up to make your subject look interesting" (Joe McNally) mwink.gif
    I find it soooo true... deal.gif
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    Nikolai wrote:
    "You don't have to light it all up to make your subject look interesting" (Joe McNally) mwink.gif
    I find it soooo true... deal.gif

I think this is the start of some real critique on this series. A sensitive matter, to be sure. But I find her lingerie very playful and innocent, which might lend itself to a contextual scene...in the kitchen licking batter, outside gardening, or something equally girlish. The scenes as they are just aren't working for me, while she has a gorgeous figure and even some lovely expressions especially for a non-professional model, they're just not quite there. I think my favorite pose is the first, but only if she were in a real bed, we would feel like we're priviledged to peek in on a private moment, rather than imagine how uncomfortable and cold she must feel all nekkid on the backdrop. Does that make sense?

I'm sorry if this comes off as harsh, she's a lovely lady and this type of photography is NOT easy to do, so I commend your efforts!

There was a more abstract image you posted in another thread...was that her? I loved that shot!!!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    edited September 16, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    I think this is the start of some real critique on this series. A sensitive matter, to be sure. But I find her lingerie very playful and innocent, which might lend itself to a contextual scene...in the kitchen licking batter, outside gardening, or something equally girlish. The scenes as they are just aren't working for me, while she has a gorgeous figure and even some lovely expressions especially for a non-professional model, they're just not quite there. I think my favorite pose is the first, but only if she were in a real bed, we would feel like we're priviledged to peek in on a private moment, rather than imagine how uncomfortable and cold she must feel all nekkid on the backdrop. Does that make sense?

I'm sorry if this comes off as harsh, she's a lovely lady and this type of photography is NOT easy to do, so I commend your efforts!

There was a more abstract image you posted in another thread...was that her? I loved that shot!!!

Thank you Lynn-

I do not mind the critique at all. Really appreciate it actually.
    I would love to have done some of the shots you describe and maybe one day I can. This was a first go and there were some interesting factors. Besides this being a first for both her and me- these were also done at midnight eek7.gif because she works 2nd shift. I am sure if my neighbors were up they were probably wondering what the hell was going on with the strobes flashing in my loft and bedroom. rolleyes1.gif

Yes the other shot is her as well. I have uploaded a few more to my site so I will post some of those for feedback.

Thanks again-

Aaron Newman

• Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2008
    Aaron, good start for a first time. I doubt I could have done better. My next boudior shots will be my first, so these are just MHO. I really like #5 and #8 is my favorite.

This lady has great legs and in both those pictures that is really shown off. #8 shows her great legs but also leaves some to the imagination, of what is under the jacket. Sometimes it is better to let the mind wander.

With her in a man's dress shirt I think a female version of Tom Cruise in Risky Business would have been great. Also another possible pose that might have been nice could have been a similar shot to the Jennifer Anniston cover of some magazine where it looks as if she is naked but all you really see is her legs bent at the knees and in front of her and her face somewhat on her knees.

I envy you in that you have had a muse to shoot. I am still looking for one but I have a file of photo ideas for it, so when I get a chance I got a lot of poses I would like to do.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2008
    I have a friend recently diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer...
    Aaron,
    So sorry to hear about your friends new diagnosis! I am impressed that she thought of doing photos beforehand. Perhaps this is an opportunity to help her thru the treatment and 'life' she'll have to endure during it, via your photography.

tom
    tom wise