Prime discussion

swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
edited September 15, 2008 in Cameras
I was an avid prime user when I used film, but have shifted to rely more on zooms in recent years. I love the flexibility of quickly adjusting my perspective until I find just the right perspective for my shot. My opinion is that zoom lens optics have improved significantly. However, I still think there is always a place for great primes. I have considered investing in more, but, now that I am use to using zooms, I am not sure they would get the use they did historically for me.

Just wondering what people's thoughts are regarding the use of primes vs. zooms?

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,081 moderator
    edited September 15, 2008
    I love using prime lenses when I have the time and when the image is just for me.

In wedding and event stuff the only time I use a prime is when I need a very fast aperture, as in the 50mm, f1.4. If flash is not allowed during the ceremony, the case in all of the churches I shoot at, the fast aperture is worth everything (if it includes accurate focus.)

Yes, I'm old enough to remember when zoom lenses really weren't that great. The top-tier zooms today are really fantastic by comparison and I don't feel I'm giving up as much when I do use a zoom.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I love using prime lenses when I have the time and when the image is just for me.

In wedding and event stuff the only time I use a prime is when I need a very fast aperture, as in the 50mm, f1.4. If flash is not allowed during the ceremony, the case in all of the churches I shoot at, the fast aperture is worth everything (if it includes accurate focus.)

Yes, I'm old enough to remember when zoom lenses really weren't that great. The top-tier zooms today are really fantastic by comparison and I don't feel I'm giving up as much when I do use a zoom.

15524779-Ti.gif WHOLE HEARTEDLY.....or is the hole heartedly.......hmmmm....Nope it is the first one......stop it....do not answer yourself...OR they'll be coming to take me away ha ha...coming to take me awaaaaaaayyyyyyyy....:D
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• cabinetbuffcabinetbuff Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    Just wondering what people's thoughts are regarding the use of primes vs. zooms?
    Here's one:
    "Though the cameras fared well in the
    wartime environment, Lowy's zoom lenses
    did not. "In Iraq, I was just getting tons
    of crap into the zoom mechanism," he says.
    So, in July, he shelved his 17-35 and
    bought a Nikkor AF 14mm f/2.8D ED, a
    Nikkor AF 20mm f/2.8D, and a Nikkor AF
    85mm f/1.4D IF. "I do not use zoom lenses
    anymore," Lowy says, though he
    acknowledged later that he still employs
    the 80-200mm if absolutely necessary."
    REFERENCE:
    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-6456-7033