New Site is UP

SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
edited September 16, 2008 in People
If you have nothing better to do...heheh. Finally finished it...sort of..still have some family pricing stuff to do. Anyway, thought this might be the place to put it since it's people orientated :D. I did create a Wow Variety gallery for some other stuff for fun! If you have any suggestions, let me know..been looking at images way too long..LOL If you like music..turn on your speakers.

Yes, I'm keeping my Smuggy account :rofl

http://www.daveswartzphotography.com
Swartzy:
NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
www.daveswartz.com
Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552

Comments

• cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2008
    Very impressive! Loved the "WOW" stuff, great senior shots as well! Great site!
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    clap.gifbowdown.gifthumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    Great
    Congrats
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    Swartzy:

sorry I could not get it to run in Firefox on either Windows or Mac. I got it to run on Safari Mac. Not sure what the problem is, I have Adblock on all these, but it was not blocking anything.

Firefox Mac was borking at the music player
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    cmason wrote:
    Swartzy:

sorry I could not get it to run in Firefox on either Windows or Mac. I got it to run on Safari Mac. Not sure what the problem is, I have Adblock on all these, but it was not blocking anything.

Firefox Mac was borking at the music player

Thanks for the attempt...this may solve your Firefox problem as I was having issues before fixing this:

Firefox (mac or PC):
    Click on the firefox tab at the top of your screen when in firefox. Then click on the preferences tab. From there click on the network tab and set the cache to use up to 0 mb of space for the cache.
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    Swartzy wrote:
    Thanks for the attempt...this may solve your Firefox problem as I was having issues before fixing this:

Firefox (mac or PC):
    Click on the firefox tab at the top of your screen when in firefox. Then click on the preferences tab. From there click on the network tab and set the cache to use up to 0 mb of space for the cache.

I didn't have any troubles with my firefox (mac) ... looking great!! thumb.gif
  • t-revt-rev Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
    Very nice!!
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    Gorgeous!

My only comment is on the music. While it's a little loud, I love it. I just wonder if it's royalty free music. That is, did you pay for the rights to use it on your site? If not, you may want to check into that - I hear they're starting to come down hard on that!

But your site rocks!
    Swartzy wrote:

Firefox (mac or PC):

Cool that worked...now wonder what else got broken rolleyes1.gif
    Gorgeous!

My only comment is on the music. While it's a little loud, I love it. I just wonder if it's royalty free music. That is, did you pay for the rights to use it on your site? If not, you may want to check into that - I hear they're starting to come down hard on that!

But your site rocks!

That is actually a REALLY good point!! Watch out with that ....
    Gorgeous!

But your site rocks!

That certainly isn't royalty free music...Fourplay likes to charge for their music...as they should (its good...I have all their CDs)
    cmason wrote:
    That certainly isn't royalty free music...Fourplay likes to charge for their music...as they should (its good...I have all their CDs)

I don't know ... finding goo background music is a big problem, I think. I would pay a singer / artist, but most artists will say no (or the ones I contacted did anyway) ... I was just recently looking for some good music for my site and got REALLY upset :bash. There is only cheesy/elevator music you can buy on the royalty free sites, ... or you need to spend some time sending out emails and wait until ONE says it's ok to use one of their songs ... no fun.
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    Looks great! Did you use an application to build it (like SiteGrinder) or did you do it from scratch?

When you click the "Enter Site" link, it opens the site in a new browser window. Users may find that a little annoying.

Aside from that, you did an awesome job clap.gif
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    Really liked your site....from where did you acquire it.....I do like the opening of 2nd browser window in FF....all worked very well....I do agree music is a tad loud....but then......I personally do not care for music on websites....for me it is distracting........
    Way to gobowdown.gifbowthumb.gifthumb
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    Agnieszka wrote:
    I was just recently looking for some good music for my site and got REALLY upset :bash. There is only cheesy/elevator music you can buy on the royalty free sites, ... or you need to spend some time sending out emails and wait until ONE says it's ok to use one of their songs ... no fun.

Kinda reminds me of my darned photographer....makes it so hard for me to put his pics up on myspace! :Drolleyes1.gif

Your site looks AMAZING, Dave!!!! I am so jealous. I have seen all of your (amazing) photos before, but the formatting really does set them off and makes them look even more impressive. YAY for you!!! Congrats!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    Niiice!! clap.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
    Thanks so very much everyone....I really appreciate you taking the time to look and comment. I don't know how the music is "loud"...Laughing.gif...turn down your speakers??? ne_nau.gif. As far as royalty free...I've been checking on the "official" laws of such. I may have to pay a re-broadcast fee to use, depending on the artist. Moby music for instance in royalty free. Also, this site is unlike HTML and is not a sharing site for others to download the music. Thanks for the heads up.....will get to the bottom of it....I may use some of the music (instrumental stuff) I wrote a couple years ago. I put one up but didn't assign it to a gallery.

Travis & Art: This is a flash site, the template is from Bludomain. I love their templates. This particular one is called "Charlie" and fell in love with it when it first was offered...so.....had to do it mwink.gif

I've been wanting to make a marketing site for sometime...one that would wow potential clients. Like any entrepreneurial venture...it's all about marketing.

Thanks again everyone...you're very kind! Oh, and Grimace, Gluwater & I are headed down thru Colorado in less than 1 month.....whoohoo!....more landscapes rolleyes1.gif
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • hobbeshobbes Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    Hi the site is looking good. Again the music is very loud. I play music on my computer while I'm working and your site is much louder than that.

In your WOW gallery which has some very nice shots BTW, you have a panorama of the GG bridge and it has a snowy scene filling in above and below that instead of black. I'm using FF on a PC right now if that helps.

Cheers

EDIT: also when I came across the buffalo shot portrait with the geyser I ended up with the bridge and the snow scene showing behind it. I'm going through the pics manually not with your slideshow.
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    Royalty Free
    Dave - the site came out really lovely. Is Blu hosting or do you have a 3rd party host? I am looking at sites for myself too and have been looking at Livebooks, Bludomain (but not with thier hosting) and one other company.

I have a few cd's of Royalty free music that I bought. Triple Scoop Music has some great stuff and I also bought some from Ron Nichols who has a CD of music. I did that for slideshows. I think that for photographers who want to have their clients play by the rules should set examples!

Personally, I don't want to have music on my site because if someone is surfing at work, they could get in trouble and when I surf and it comes on it distracts everyone else at the office.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    Remember what I told you about the music? mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • jayegirljayegirl Registered Users Posts: 276 Major grins
    There is a music note in the lower left hand corner that controls the music. You can turn it down or off.
    Jaye
  • dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    Swartzy wrote:
    If you have nothing better to do...heheh. Finally finished it...sort of..still have some family pricing stuff to do. Anyway, thought this might be the place to put it since it's people orientated :D. I did create a Wow Variety gallery for some other stuff for fun! If you have any suggestions, let me know..been looking at images way too long..Laughing.gif If you like music..turn on your speakers.

Yes, I'm keeping my Smuggy account rolleyes1.gif

http://www.daveswartzphotography.com

Awesome site, very nicely laid out bowdown.gifbowthumb.gifbowdown.gifbow
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    clap.gif very well done. first (wedding) website i didnt turn off the music in the first three seconds, in fact i enjoyed all your selections.
    very nice photography, very nice site.bowdown.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2008
    :wow thumb.gifbowdown.gif

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    Totally awsome Dave!thumb.gif That wow album is really a big WOW!wings.gif
    Thanks very much Jag, Aaron, Dadtwins,Cuong, Moogle....and....you are all so kind. I'm happy you like it and think it will fly.

The music thing will always be a big personal plus or minus. I can't imagine a slide show without music....makes no sense to me..but then again, some hate slideshows...Laughing.gif. I think for every one that doesn't like music on a site there are two that do. IF the music is "louder" than what you've been listening to all along it's not the function of the website but that of your settings regarding your previous source of music...say an IPod with the volume lowered...then comes a streaming video with music from Youtube and bang....loud...so it is I think with websites.

So.....rather than completely remove the music.....I'll leave it there and let the viewer decide at the time.

I always adjust my speaker volume using the keyboard (Mac) anyway. For those who "browse" at work....I'll take my chances leaving the music on..they can turn it off. Hard to imagine that other sites they'd be surfing didn't have music as well. Besides, most corporations I'm aware of don't allow lots of "personal" time surfing due to security and networking issues. In fact, they monitor this activity.

Thanks again everyone...you're insights are very helpful and it's good to see other points of view.....good food for thought.
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    Haven't been around in quite awhile but stopped over today and glad I did. Love the site! Like the overall feel and the photos are simply great. thumb.gif
    www.imagesbyshane.smugmug.com

Blogs:
    www.imagesbyshane.blogspot.com

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    Looks great! thumb.gif

But why do you have a business e-mail address at another location when you own your own domain name? Doesn't it detract a little from the, otherwise, obvious professionalism of the site.
    Looks great! thumb.gif

But why do you have a business e-mail address at another location when you own your own domain name? Doesn't it detract a little from the, otherwise, obvious professionalism of the site.

Thanks! No, I don't believe so at all. Here is my reasoning. I've heard of others who missed out many emails because the "host" was having technical difficulties. That is the first reason. The second is I want one emai...for everything.....it all comes streaming into my Mac. Don't have to go to 3 separate email accounts checking stuff...this way if someone sends something, I've got it. Also when contemplating setting that up it would be a big thing to type in: Dave@daveswartzphotography.com.....I suspect many clients will be a direct result of word of mouth then looking at the site versus the once in a blue moon chance someone is out surfing then stumble upon my site....then hire. All the clients I've shot for know me affectionatley as Swartzy....cause although I conduct myself professionally, they also know I'm a bit over the top :D:D:D:D:D:D

Thanks so very much for looking and commenting...really appreciate it!

Thank you too Shane....yea, come around here more often..we miss you!
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com