DG vs non-DG

joeinmiamijoeinmiami Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
edited September 16, 2008 in Cameras
Hello there!

I recently purchased a Sigma Bigma, I am very happy with it, but I have a question:

The old Bigmas were non-DG the new ones, like my, are. Basically, besides the manufacturer hype, what is the difference between a non DG lens and a DG lens?

Thanks

Joe
:thumb
www.jlm-photos.com

Comments

• Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2008
    Other than some cosmetic differences to the grip/zoom ring rubber pattern, it's suppose to have a different coating on the rear element.

They state it's to reduce ghosting and flaring but bigma was never known to have this defect. I've not seen any direct comparisons btwn the non DG and DG version though.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited September 15, 2008
    The official Sigma description for the "DG" specification is here:

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses.asp

If you read it really carefully you will come to realize that it means almost nothing concrete. It is probably mostly just a marketing term.

As Tee Why indicated, some people noted a difference in coatings that seems to have coincided with the "DG" term, but I don't know that Sigma really ever disclosed any real details. Another thing that was easy to notice with the "DG" designation was an increase in price over the non-DG versions.

At any rate, I have the non-DG version of the "BigMa" and I use it with my Canon dSLRs with no apparent problems.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • joeinmiamijoeinmiami Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited September 16, 2008
    Marketing Game
    Thank you Ziggy and Tee Why. I figure that the DG name was simply a marketing tool to make the lens seems more appealing.

Actually I believe the lens is excellent within its limitations. Yes is heavy but that is why you have monopods. Yes is considered to be slow but I only take photos with it in daylight,. Yes it does not have VR but for the price and the fact of the 50-500 reach I do not think you can buy something better.

Thanks

Joe thumb.gif

PD The week after I purchased the lens the price went up by about $150.00
    rolleyes1.gif

www.jlm-photos.com
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2008
    I used to have the bigma but recently upgraded to a Canon 400mm prime. But I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone looking for a supertelephoto zoom for around $1000.

I think it's a great lens.