Victory Beach Tower

Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
edited September 18, 2008 in Landscapes
A buddy and I made it out there yesterday. It was a bit overcast and no real definitive clouds so the sky wasn't as nice. The tower is actually a lot smaller than it looks. I guess it makes sense it's a scaled down tower for a movie from the 20's from what I hear.

I don't know how the neighbors put up with the photogs there. There were two with lights and stuff using the tower and the beach as their private studio and an old guy taking bikini shots of little girls.

I heard Laguna Beach started requiring permits for the professionals who come with light stands and block the flow of pedestrian traffic but no one seemed to be there enforcing it.

Anyway, here are the shots.
373623310_bEqjD-M.jpg

2. at the base of the tower.
373623345_8ASG4-M.jpg

3. sunset time
373623698_A8AV4-M.jpg

Comments

• jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2008
    Did you get any from the other side of the tower, with the sun behind you? And where are the bikini pictures? rolleyes1.gif
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    No, I walked around to the other side but didn't like the look from the other side.

As for bikini shots, sorry, no self portraits that day.
    :D
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    All of this talk of bikinis and self-portraits is making me uncomfortable, but I really really like that third shot :D
  • OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    Ah, my favorite spot has been discovered! Nice thumb.gif

It's actually Victoria Beach (it's off Victoria Drive), and the house and tower are formally known as La Tour in the historical records. The tower is 60 feet tall and has a spiral staircase that allows the homeowner access to the beach. If you saw a round cement thing nearly buried in sand nearby, I'm told that used to be a salt water pool (no mention of a pool in the records I found, a local told me about it).

Last time I was there the opposite side had some white scaffolding on the cliffs which would ruin any shot, is it still there?

Laguna Beach has required permits for commercial photography on all city-owned property for years (and $1 mil. liability insurance). Good luck trying to find anything about it on-line, though. Here's a link to the appropriate municipal code. Unfortunately more and more of Orange County is going this way. rolleyes1.gif But you shouldn't have a problem unless you are obviously shooting a wedding or have a staff and lots of equipment for a model shoot. Sometimes a homeowner will come check you out and talk with you for a while to see what you're up to, but as long you're not disrupting other beachgoers they're okay with it.
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2008
    OffTopic wrote:
    Last time I was there the opposite side had some white scaffolding on the cliffs which would ruin any shot, is it still there?

Laguna Beach has required permits for commercial photography on all city-owned property for years (and $1 mil. liability insurance). Good luck trying to find anything about it on-line, though. Here's a link to the appropriate municipal code. Unfortunately more and more of Orange County is going this way. rolleyes1.gif But you shouldn't have a problem unless you are obviously shooting a wedding or have a staff and lots of equipment for a model shoot. Sometimes a homeowner will come check you out and talk with you for a while to see what you're up to, but as long you're not disrupting other beachgoers they're okay with it.

No one bothered us as we had a tripod and a body only. No model or subject except the tower. That staircase or whatever that is was there and I was wondering what that thing was as well.

Funny thing was there seemed to be no one enforcing or checking for permits.
  • OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    It's been my experience that they really only enforce it during the summer when all of the tourists are on the beach and the photographers are lined up side-by-side doing wedding shoots, but still the local wedding/portrait pro's know (and charge) to get the permit. I've seen some pretty bad behavior there from some photographers toward beachgoers/tourists. I have never had a problem shooting in Laguna. But I've never had a problem in CdM/Little Corona either and I've been there numerous times. I think it's all in how you conduct yourself.

Let me know if you're coming back to try for better skies! I'm sure this marine layer that has been sitting on us since May will burn off any day now. rolleyes1.gif
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    wow thats a strange place....i never knew....

thanks for showing me another place!
    Aaron Nelson