First maternity shoot

joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
edited September 16, 2008 in People
My first time out and I am not feeling so good about these pics, but thought I would post a few any way. "No such thing as failure; just learning." I hope so. Happy to receive your CC but please don't be too hard on me.

373628065_xKamN-M.jpg

373624260_QTRMb-M.jpg

373621216_Hv8HF-M.jpg

373618932_5rShz-M.jpg

373616061_oxsSL-M.jpg

373613025_gzTND-M.jpg

373601457_nM7zq-M.jpg

373597945_83qSd-M.jpg

373593489_iAs9r-M.jpg

Comments

• ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2008
    Good first try...
    Josh - good 1st try. I like the styling of the blue shirts. The light looks nice The first one is very cute with the bear. I like the silhouette too.

#4 she dosen't have a good expresssion and #5 I would not show her - it's not too flattering. She looks a bit - pardon the expression - like a beached whale. She has eyeglass glare in a few of these. When I first started shooting headshots' and portraits they were my nemisis but if you get accustomed to looking for them while you are shooting, you can tilt the glasses or angle the head.

You might ask about smoothing or softening the strechmarks - some women want to see them and others don't.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2008
    Josh, Kathy brings up a great point about the stretch marks thumb.gif Overall, want to say good for you getting out and trying lots of different compositions, backgrounds & poses...that is excellent growth my friend. There is nothing easy about maternity shoots. Generally, we need to focus on what story we wish to tell about the pregnancy..the expectations of the new child.....the joy of it....the excitement..those sorts of things. I've found the best way to approach subjects when drawing blanks (or shooting them....hahah) is to go back to basics and think of what I'm trying to display. In the case of maternity it makes sense to me, anyway, of portraying those unseen emotions.

Once that's nailed down, then it's a matter of the background, backdrop, surroundings....then.....lighting to create or capture that mood. Oftentimes we have to do a bit of it in post processing to "finish" it off.

A great in this industry is Sandy Puc. Do a google search for some ideas as it will be an eye opener. BTW..I like the idea of #2 real well. Good job.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552