Copyright on challenge entry?

bsharpbsharp Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
edited September 16, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
Rule #8 in the Dgrin Challenges states "Watermarks: Photos may not exhibit branding or watermarks at any time during the entry period and until all judging for that round is complete. A small signature and copyright at the bottom of the image are encouraged." I have created an action the puts my copyright in the top right hand corner. Will that DQ my entry in the DGrin Challennge?

Thanks,
BSharp (Raindrops keep falling on my head...) entry in #8

372106606_p2Kot-L-1.jpg

Comments

• TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2008
    your entry is not viewable, lets see it and i can likely tell you if your going to get the DQ.....
    Aaron Nelson
  • bsharpbsharp Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    your entry is not viewable, lets see it and i can likely tell you if your going to get the DQ.....

Sorry, It's in Challenge #8, pg. 2, entry #19 as of now. I also added it to my original post.

Thanks,
    ya, i mean its not viewable there either...do you have links on in your gallery?
    log out and look yourself, its what i always do just to make sure all is well...

log out of dgrin & your website
    Aaron Nelson
    fyi, your exif is not linking to photo info...its going to your website home page...

that will for sure get you DQed
    Aaron Nelson
    fyi, your exif is not linking to photo info...its going to your website home page...

that will for sure get you DQed

OK - I am totally confused!

I closed all of my browser windows, opened up a new one, went to the DGrin challenge page, found my entry and I was able to see it just fine. I then clicked on the image and it brought up a page that only had my EXIF information on it. Here is the web site it brings up for me when I wasn't logged in: http://bradsharp.smugmug.com/photos/newexif.mg?ImageID=372106606&ImageKey=p2Kot

I know I was logged out because I had to log back in when I tried to respond to this thread.

Since you were able to click on my photo, and you said it's not linking to photo info, does that mean you are able to see my entry now?
    i cannot see your entry, "logoff" dgrin and your website as if you are some lurker....

i think your links are not set right in your gallery website settings

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=102995&highlight=exif
    Aaron Nelson
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    bsharp wrote:
    OK - I am totally confused!

I closed all of my browser windows, opened up a new one, went to the DGrin challenge page, found my entry and I was able to see it just fine.
    That is not enough. You would need to clear your cache as well. The image is in YOUR cache from when you viewed it on your website. When you try to view it via Dgrin, your web browser finds it in YOUR local cache and just displays it from there without attempting to fetch it again from your website. If you clear your cache and then try viewing your image at Dgrin again, it won't show.

You need to turn on external linking in the gallery for the image to be seen here.

Here is what your entry currently looks like to everyone else trying to view it:
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    You image is not showing here or in the contest thread. That is because you either have the album set on private or not to show ext. links. If you go to the gallery tools and find the security settings and see if its allowing external links...that might fix the problem.

As for the link in the contest thread to the exif...it is to your homepage. The link you posted to your exif here is working correctly and goes to the right exif page.

I think what Aaron is trying to get at is that when you are the owner of the album...you are able to see the cached picture no matter where you put it. But everyone else cannot see it...most likely because of the ext. links being turned off.
    BeachBill wrote:
    That is not enough. You would need to clear your cache as well. The image is in YOUR cache from when you viewed it on your website. When you try to view it via Dgrin, your web browser finds it in YOUR local cache and just displays it from there without attempting to fetch it again from your website. If you clear your cache and then try viewing your image at Dgrin again, it won't show.

You need to turn on external linking in the gallery for the image to be seen here.

Here is what your entry currently looks like to everyone else trying to view it:

yeah...what he said.15524779-Ti.gif
    Thanks everyone
    I was going crazy. I had even gone to another computer, didn't log in to DGrin, and I was still able to see my image, and EXIF image when I clicked on it. But then again, it was my wife's computer and I guess it was cached as well. I had just finished reading Aaron's link that talks about him having the same problem and how you have to have the External Linking checked 'Yes', when I got the rest of the confirming emails.

Thanks everyone for being so patient with me. I now have 'Hello World', 'Hello Smuggers', and 'External Links' all yes. I have 'Protected' and 'Watermarking' set to No.

Can everyone see it now?

If so, back to my original question. Is the copyrigt in the top right hand corner OK, or does it have to be on the bottom?

Tanks again, so much
    i can see now, and that watermark is safe... ive seen larger ones compared
    Aaron Nelson
  • VelvtRideVelvtRide Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    I can see it.

FWIW, I wanted protect my gallery, too, but protecting it and turning on ext. links still created the problem of others not being able to see it. I had to UNprotect my gallery, but UNlist it - then left the ext. links ON and it's OK now.

Protect: locks it down, only gallery owner(or person w/password) can view images - external links not viewable.

Unlisted: keeps images viewable in external links, but does not list the gallery for viewers to view in your smugmug.
    i can see now and that watermark is safe...you betcha

Thanks Aaron.

Are you also able to link to the EXIF Info? I had it embedded in the image, so it came up when you clicked the image. I just put a link to my web page below the photo because I saw a lot of other people also had their web page and other individual information on their entries. But maybe - I'm guessing - it was part of their signature.

Anyway, thanks again.
    Thanks VelvtRide
    VelvtRide wrote:
    I can see it.

FWIW, I wanted protect my gallery, too, but protecting it and turning on ext. links still created the problem of others not being able to see it. I had to UNprotect my gallery, but UNlist it - then left the ext. links ON and it's OK now.

Protect: locks it down, only gallery owner(or person w/password) can view images - external links not viewable.

Unlisted: keeps images viewable in external links, but does not list the gallery for viewers to view in your smugmug.

I actually want my gallery to be viewable to everyone. And I normally have the External Link set you 'Yes', and I really don't know how it got set to 'No'. I think maybe it's a conspiracy by a radical group of Model T owners who didn't want to see an old neglected car portrayed that wayrolleyes1.gif

Thanks,
    yes the exif is linked correct, though i would state something to point out where your exif is....

what i mean is do it like everyone else so there is no question that you have posted exif info....
    Aaron Nelson
    bsharp wrote:
    Thanks Aaron.

Are you also able to link to the EXIF Info? I had it embedded in the image, so it came up when you clicked the image. I just put a link to my web page below the photo because I saw a lot of other people also had their web page and other individual information on their entries. But maybe - I'm guessing - it was part of their signature.

Anyway, thanks again.

It works along with your exif...but you might want to mention in your post that its imbedded into the photo...just so there is no misunderstanding from the judges in where its at.
    yes the exif is linked correct, though i would state something to point out where your exif is....

what i mean is do it like everyone else so there is no question that you have posted exif info....

geez i am slow today!eek7.gif
    JAG wrote:
    geez i am slow today!eek7.gif

rolleyes1.gif
    Aaron Nelson

Done - as suggested! Thanks,