Options

Smallest size is XLarge

rob2413rob2413 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited September 17, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Aloha all, I'm running a trial right now and have uploaded a couple of test photos into a test gallery. I'm uploading originals at 3488 x 2616 pixels for prints and want up to medium-size images to be viewable in the gallery. Only problem is that my size options start at XLarge and end at Original. Is this a limitation on trial mode? :dunno

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2008
    rob2413 wrote:
    Aloha all, I'm running a trial right now and have uploaded a couple of test photos into a test gallery. I'm uploading originals at 3488 x 2616 pixels for prints and want up to medium-size images to be viewable in the gallery. Only problem is that my size options start at XLarge and end at Original. Is this a limitation on trial mode? ne_nau.gif

I believe it's a limitation of the standard account. The pro account gives you full control over the max size on the web (all the way down to medium if you want).

FYI, medium sized images are really pretty small these days when people have large screens. The smugmug viewing style automatically sizes the main image to fit the viewing window and when the main image is limited to the medium size, it all looks pretty puny for anyone who has a good sized monitor.

Since you're on trial, you can trial the pro account if you want.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    I didn't know I could try out the pro version as well, very cool. Also the medium image size is due to my concern of image theft from the galleries, as I may not be able to splurge on the upgrade to pro just yet.
  • Options
    timeflighttimeflight Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    rob2413 wrote:
    I didn't know I could try out the pro version as well, very cool. Also the medium image size is due to my concern of image theft from the galleries, as I may not be able to splurge on the upgrade to pro just yet.

I can't afford the pro udgrade yet either and this limitation is what is stopping me upgrading my trial account - even flickr let you limit larger sizes.
  • Options
    I really love the interface and presentation here... I guess I'll just have to upload my watermarked set then. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    I'm on a std account and have all sizes from small through to original available:
    http://bigal-sa.smugmug.com/gallery/4576119_GJxUR#269745244_84zXk

max size limitations can be set from xlarge through to original in the "customize gallery".
  • Options
    Awesome photos Al!

What I'm trying to do is limit the max size to something below XLarge to prevent the large versions from being saved off of the site - a feature limited to the pro account. I'm going to just design a block-type watermark that will sit subtly in all of my images and hopefully will not detract from them if they are printed. Sounds like a plan. thumb.gif
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    rob2413 wrote:
    Awesome photos Al!

What I'm trying to do is limit the max size to something below XLarge to prevent the large versions from being saved off of the site - a feature limited to the pro account. I'm going to just design a block-type watermark that will sit subtly in all of my images and hopefully will not detract from them if they are printed. Sounds like a plan. thumb.gif

The best watermarks I've seen are subtle, yet effective and usually highly transparent so you can still see all of the image, but the watermark is just visible enough to do it's job. In case you didn't know, another feature of the pro account is that you can create your own custom watermark and Smugmug will apply it automatically for you, yet because it isn't on the original you uploaded, people can buy prints or order digital downloads without the watermark on it. If you're not selling the images, you can, of course, watermark them yourself before uploading.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    rob2413 wrote:
    Awesome photos Al!

You can also upload an image that is sized below the XL. Smugmug won't upscale the image, so just don't upload the original image if you are worried about it. Presumably since you don't have a pro account, you are not selling anyway, so there is no issue with NOT having originals online.
  • Options
    timeflighttimeflight Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    cmason wrote:
    You can also upload an image that is sized below the XL. Smugmug won't upscale the image, so just don't upload the original image if you are worried about it. Presumably since you don't have a pro account, you are not selling anyway, so there is no issue with NOT having originals online.

I'd really like to use smugmug for a backup though.

I suppose I could upload high reses into a private album and then low reses into a public album?

Not the most elegant solution. If the pro account was just a little cheaper I would snap it up. I was considering the power account but frankly flickr pro has more functionality and zenfolio is half the price.

I'm now getting ready for a battering now but I really don't know what to do!