Options

Silver Efex Pro

RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
edited December 15, 2008 in Finishing School
Anybody use it? I have it and am constantly getting pixelation beyond what I would expect for simple conversions. And, I am not changing the film type in the software.

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited September 17, 2008
    RogersDA wrote:
    Anybody use it? I have it and am constantly getting pixelation beyond what I would expect for simple conversions. And, I am not changing the film type in the software.

Interesting.

I do not notice ANY increase in noise/pixelation in my routine B&W conversions done in Photoshop via Image>Adjustments>Black and White. ne_nau.gif It looks like an interesting program, but a bit expensive?

If there is noise in the blue channel( that is where the noise usually hides ) before conversion, I might consider running it through Noisewear first if needed.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    I was wondering the same thing about this. I installed the trial but it expired before I could really dig into it. I use and like LR2's grayscale conversion but this has such great raves that I wondered WHAT DOES IT DO that LR2 can't?
  • Options
    baldmountainbaldmountain Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    RogersDA wrote:

I think that is the point. Silver Efex Pro adds a pleasing film grain to the conversion. IIRC you can turn the grain effect down to zero to remove it. (I think. I don't own it since it is more than I can afford. But I do like it.)

You are better off using a plain Photoshop Image>Adjustments>Black and White or Aperture channel mixer or whatever the basic B&W conversion is in your favorite image editor. It will just give you a straight B&W conversion.
    geoff