Help! Please Critique Senior Portraits

WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
edited October 10, 2008 in People
I did senior portraits for this girl and just got a call from the mother that the girl doesn't like any of them and she really didn't either. I am flabbergasted because I think most of them are good. Am I not seeing something? I took 160 pictures and picked the best 49. I would think that they could find at least one! Please take a look at this gallery and give me feedback if you would. Thanks in advance for any responses.

http://wingsoflove.smugmug.com/gallery/5990655_Mteoe/1/374220826_UtNhv
Snady :thumb
my money well spent :D
Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!

Comments

• ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2008
    I found couple of good ones. I wasn't very fond on many of her head tilts, but there are some good ones outside by the tree.
    I would ask what exactly they didn't like. ne_nau.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • erson83erson83 Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    Can't really tell from the pictures, but i sense that the subject didn't exactlly have a great attitude...can't get the best results with somebody who doesn't wanna be photographed. I see no reason why these are not sastisfactory senior shots
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    Processing aside, I think the photos themselves are great. However, the processing is killing them for me. Was her skin terrible, or something? The blur is much to heavy handed for my taste.
    Your exposures are fine, and poses are fine- studio and outside...

I would take ShepsMom's advice and ask for more details.
  • goldenstarphotogoldenstarphoto Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    I like several of them. My favorites are the ones with her laying on the grass. It seems like she had an "attitude" and wasn't smileing toward the end of the day. Maybe ask her what she had in mind and to bring samples? I learned a long time ago that you can't please everyone....don't take it personal!
  • len20len20 Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    I think the problem is more with the client than the photographer, honestly. The photos are bright and sharp. They're composed well, the light is even, no weird backgrounds.

I agree, don't take it personally.
    Canon 5d mii, Canon 50mm f/1.8, 35mm 1.4L, 70-200mm IS L
  • TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2008
    I did senior portraits for this girl and just got a call from the mother that the girl doesn't like any of them and she really didn't either. I am flabbergasted because I think most of them are good. Am I not seeing something? I took 160 pictures and picked the best 49. I would think that they could find at least one! Please take a look at this gallery and give me feedback if you would. Thanks in advance for any responses.

http://wingsoflove.smugmug.com/gallery/5990655_Mteoe/1/374220826_UtNhv

Just because you are pretty, doens't make you photogenic. The PP is a bit much, but it's fine given teen age blemishes. Those 49 shots were the best pictures she's ever been in her entire life. Composed well, sharp and good lighting. What more could you ask for? A better model maybe. LoL. Regardless if they hated them or not, you did great work, you deserve to get paid.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
  • dwayne_bradleydwayne_bradley Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    I sure hope that I'm wrong but...
    I have a "theory" as to why they did not like them (and boy do I really hope that I'm wrong): they "borrowed" the ones that they really liked and printed them on their own.

In your gallery, you posted the pics where they could be viewed in their original size without any watermarks on them. Even though you have the right-click protection turned on, it is not fool-proof. It took me less than a minute to download the original size pic of the 1st picture in the gallery. Keep in mind that I did NOT download the true original that you uploaded to Smugmug but the original size pic that you are allowing to be viewed. Now I could print it anytime that I wanted to. Here is some of the EXIF info from the pic:

Picture Size: 1500px X 2100px
    Camera: Nikon D300
    Focal Length: 98mm
    ISO: 200
    f-stop: f8
    Shutter Speed: 1/125
    Editing app: Adobe Photoshop CS3 Macintosh

Just my $0.02 but if I was going to put up something that I was looking to make money off of, (1) I would NOT allow originals to be viewed and (2) I would put a watermark on the gallery before uploading the pics.

Dwayne
  • searching the soulsearching the soul Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    Help for your senior
    /1/374220826_UtNhv
    You may a times have to do a clothing consult . Almost everyone should stay away from sleeveless outfits . Her arms are larger in appearance .
    All hand poses there should only be a very light touch to the face . Heavy pressure makes the face appear fat. . If the hand in use is mostly the back of hand showing , it can appear as large as face . Use hand away from camera whenever possible . Outdoor lighting is nice . Studio set up is to 1 to 1 ratio with lights . Probably two umbrellas . if you can shoot the light through one instead of bounce out it will give you a ratio that creates small modeling and shadow .
    Always keep subject away from background and always shoot longest focal length possible to create Bokah . A out of focus background is the desired result .
    http://wingsoflove.smugmug.com/gallery/5990655_Mteoe
  • BlakerBlaker Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    I think I can see where they are coming from- especially if they were going to hang a large print of her on the wall and send to relatives.
    In just about all of the photos the girl's hair was really messy, and in some of them she even had a strand of hair hanging down the middle of her forehead. You could prevent this by reminding her to brush her hair into place prior to the shoot, or after posing her you could go over to her and help adjust her hair for the photo.
    Also, I don't think the pink and black dress went well against the backdrop of the rustic tree trunk.
    Her posture was kind of slouchy in several of the photos too, which caused her clothes to drape poorly on her, looking a little sloppy.
    Also, the light seemed very bright- maybe a softer focus ?
    I think you have to be very vigilant when shooting portraits to take a good hard look at these kind of details before hitting the shutter.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    Processing aside, I think the photos themselves are great. However, the processing is killing them for me. Was her skin terrible, or something? The blur is much to heavy handed for my taste.
    Your exposures are fine, and poses are fine- studio and outside...

I would take ShepsMom's advice and ask for more details.

I'm not into the studio shots that used the hands to support the face...other than that, I agree with the above. The processing is MUCH too strong. Even acne does not require blur. There are other tools available to remove blemishes without resorting to claymation.

You definately need to find out what they didn't like.
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    Thanks so much for your honest opinions.
    *Yes her skin was not good so the processing is a bit heavy.
    *She chose the outfits but knew what would have been better.
    *She insisted on putting the dress back on for outside pictures and to do
    full body shots but is complaining she looks fat.
    *I tried to have her fix her hair and I can't change her smile (the tooth
    that sticks out a bit.
    *I did similar poses for her friend and she said she loved them all.
    *I did get paid my $50.00 sitting fee but between the shoot and pp there
    is no profit there and now they want me to do more for free. But
    I think because they don't like her smile/hair etc and not the pictures.
    *I think photographically they could find one for her yearbook.
    *I did make an appt for reshoot but am rethinking that now. Maybe they should try a different photog because there is not much I would do differently. I am a wuss though when it comes to that stuff because I don't have a lot of confidence in my skills so I just suck it up and I am new to the business Oh well, all in the process of learning I guess. ne_nau.gif

As far as the smugmug site is concerned, I tried the watermark thing and people were complaining they couldn't see the children's faces. What do you all do with that? I do have to learn to make only small pictures veiwable though, thanks for that advice. I am getting large orders usually so I don't think many of my clients are really computer savy and stealing pictures.

FYI i use a 3x4 softbox as a main light and a 10x36 as a background kicker and a large reflectasol. Any other ideas of how to set those up to improve the studio pix?

Outside I use a SB600 with a Gary Fong Whale Tail.

Thanks again for all your help and support. I am very happy you are all here:D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    Finding the right combination of skin treatment, contrast, dark to light background dynamics (outside shots) requires finesse. For instance, if you look closely at the tree, you'll see that it looks plastic as a result of the filtering/processing. Her skin also has that look, yet the blemishes were allowed to remain. Patch tool/healing brush would easily fix those before any type of skin treatment. Selective masking/painting will allow you to hit specific areas you wish to affect. Most of these are global.

Many of the smiles and poses look forced rather than natural. On the plus side. Your lighting and focus is good and have some nice perspectives/comps. Many here would be wonderful with just a tad more happy expression from your senior.....her eyes would widen a bit, showing life, vibrancy.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    Problems...with senior shoot
    I tend to think you did a good job with the poses...and I like the shoot in general. I agree with Swartzy...good advice.

I do think that you overexposed some of the shots on page two, last two rows...as there appears to be hot spots on her face.

It also appears that the skin tones...at least to me are a bit pinkish. If you shot in raw...look at the color temperature in your raw converter. Make sure that it is somewhere around 5400...adjust to taste here.

It also appears that you really don't have much of an idea about what your customer doesn't like about your pictures, other than dress and fat...this from you post. What about the rest of the pictures you took? Why don't they like them? I understand there's a perceived concern about her hair, teeth, and smile, but you heard that here, not from them. Call them up and ask, "How can I make this better? What is it that you don't like about my pictures?"
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    Sandy,

I think you have received some excellent advice. The only thing I would add is the dress is horrible, and does make her look heavier than she is. I recommend she burn the dress. :D

Now for my real point. you posted that you made an appointment to re shoot, and are now rethinking that decision. Don't rethink it. You agreed to a re shoot, do it.

I would how ever sit down with mom, and really have her articulate what she wants, and expects out of this re shoot. I would also recommend at this point you be a little more assertive with what you need. Dress, hair, location, etc. Work on getting her to be more natural, and open. Was mom there the whole time? Does the daughter feel intimidated by her? Is mom pushy?

Separately, sit down with the girl, and find out what she thinks, and wants.

You may have to be Dr, Lora for a day. rolleyes1.gif

Sam
  • mochee10mochee10 Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    Number 17 is a winner IMHO. Keep up the good work!
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    I think you did a pretty good job. A little heavy on PP, though.

It's all about practice and vision. They are both equally important, though some may say practice more..

Ask both what they liked and disliked about it and if they want a reshoot, reshoot! Does she want a glamour-esque photograph or something else? Just talk to them about it.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • VysionousVysionous Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
    The girl ain't pretty, her mom doesn't like that fact.
    Shots are good. (PP resulted in pale skin, though)
    In the dawn, an angel was dancing. Surrounded by an aura of light.
    But in the shadows, Vysionous was watching, and with patience awaiting the night.

http://vysionous.deviantart.com
    edited October 9, 2008
    Thanks so much for all of your help with my seniors. I am almost done with them for this year's yearbook clap.gif I redid pictures for this girl the other day. It seems that the reason she didn't like any of the last pictures are the fact that she curled her hair and wore the wrong clothes...so that makes me feel a little better. I appreciated the advice about the pp. I hope I have done a little better this time. Here is the picture that she picked out for her yearbook. I did photoshop her smile to brighten and straighten it as she has a tooth that sticks out that was another reason she didn't like them. Thanks to the wonders of photoshop she is going to go to the dentist and have him fix her smile like I did! thumb.gif Any further cc's welcome before I send this picture to her would be appreciated. Thanks again!

390174486_y2UmP-X2.jpg
  • ilbcnuilbcnu Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2008
    I flipped back to original gallery and even though I see it is same girl what a difference...here she looks happy, relaxed and this outfit looks great. I think the processing lighter hand works here and allows her to come through but still be soft. You did a great job both times but she just looks all around better in this photo. (IMO)
    Amanda
    It is never to late to become what you might have been.
    www.behindthezoom.com
  • tonichelletonichelle Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2008
    erson83 wrote:
    Can't really tell from the pictures, but i sense that the subject didn't exactlly have a great attitude...can't get the best results with somebody who doesn't wanna be photographed. I see no reason why these are not sastisfactory senior shots

I agree... she looks very uncomfy in the photos... I love the poses! They look better than my senior portraits (I was another 'uncomfy' one).
    "It's only an island if you look at it from the water."
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2008
    I am a wuss though when it comes to that stuff because I don't have a lot of confidence in my skills so I just suck it up and I am new to the business Oh well, all in the process of learning I guess. ne_nau.gif

First let me say that the advice that you received is here is spot on and it defintely shows in the latest photo that you posted of your client. She truly appears calm, comfortable, and happy to be involved. If her or her mom does not like this one, then heaven help them. :D

The reason I pulled out the above quote though is because I think it is a very important principle for every photographer to realize. Trust me, I know from experience how scary it can be to do a session like this when you are not completely comfortable. The thing is that in taking on the assignment, you are a professional in the eyes of the client and need to carry yourself that way, regardless of how you feel inside. I think most of us have seen the masterful work of Joe McNally. In "the Moment It Clicks", he specifically addresses how we must conduct ourselves when things go wrong and even used a personal story of time that he thought he was going to collapse inside while still showing a professional appearance on the outside as a shoot was seemingly falling apart.

I guess what I'm trying to get to in my long-winded way is that even though you may be lacking in confidence at times, push through it and conduct yourself as though you are in command of the situation; else, the client will sense it and either walk all over you or loose faith in your abilities.

As for the watermarking, there is a tutorial somewhere on dgrin or smugmug for creating custom watermarks that you can load in place of the ugly "proof" that is the default. Do a search on "watermark" or "copyright".

Let us know the outcome. I'd love to hear how much they gush over the new photos! thumb.gif
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2008
    Ok just keepin it real.
    I can see why they may have not LOVED the pictures.
    First of all this is meant as constructive criticism because you asked, just trying to help.

She is a cute girl, but the photos don't really seem to bring it out. My guess is there was not much time spent getting her to relax and have fun to bring out her personality and the playfullness all girls of this age naturally have. Once the personality starts to shine through the girls look better and they like the pictures much better. If she is not having fun the photos will show it.

The lighting is flat. There needs to be side lighting to create shadows and depth in the face. This is compounded because the photos are to bright.
    In most the skin is on the edge of being blown out. The brightness also cuts down on the color saturation which can make the colors look somewhat washed out.

The compositons are all basically the same, dead center in the middle, try some more creative compositions, mix it up. Move in, move back, go high go low, turn the girl in different directions. Girl large in the frame, girl small in the background. Find some more dramatic backgrounds and scenes.

The skin treatment looks fine to me and the sharpness looks fine to me as well.

On the bright side...I have seen WAY WORSE work product being put out by people who call themselves professionals and charge money for their services.

Your work shows potention. Go over to DP Review and check out their lighting forum. Post some of your work there and let them hack it to bits...believe me they will....but if you can stand it you will learn tons and with a few months of working on the info you can receive there you willl be turning out work that anyone would be proud of.

When you reach that point your confidence will soar and you won't have to worry about this type of thing ever happening again.

Again..I am just trying to help because you asked. If any of my response has upset you in any way I apologize.
  • MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2008
    Since there's already been lots of great advice in this thread, I'll just add this:

Some people, as soon as they've paid for something, will always expect MAGIC to appear.

Like insisting on the hideous dress, "This is what I'm wearing, make it look awesome gosh dangit!"

Malte
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2008
    Zoomer nailed it on the head. As I was reading through this thread I was wondering at all the comments about the lighting and how wonderful it was.

With very few exceptions, her hair appears drab and flat - it's just lacking a bit of correct lighting to bring out the luster that is sure to be there.

The lighting of the outdoor images appear to be very FLAT - there are no shadows on her face. OK, you don't want huge, contrasty shadows in a photo of this sort. But you do want do have some, soft and soft-edged, shadows - they provide depth to the face and create a much more dramatic image. Getting those shadow is easy stuff - get your flash lighting off-camera and to the side a bit.

The in-studio shots - your fill, if you have any, is way too bright.

In the last photo you posted:
    • I love how you've used the sun to bring some life to her hair. It might be a little hot, but most clients are not going recognize this.
    • Off-camera light source. It's clear from the catchlights that you have something down and to the left. But, it's too bright - it's almost as if it is your main light.
    • The on-camera light is too bright - it's killing your shadows.
    • I would burn the bright area in the upper left corner a bit to knock it down. As is, it's a huge distraction from her face.
    • Love the lighter PP hand you've used in this photo. You've let some of her skin actually come through!
    • There's no doubt in my mind that this is one of the very best photos ever made of her and I'm sure that she (and her mother) will be quite pleased!thumb.gif
    For next time....
    • I would use a slightly faster shutter speed to better control the ambient on her hair and to bring down the brightness of the background as well - doesn't need much but a little would help.
    • Postition your main light slightly above the level of her head (or higher). This will cause the created shadows to appear more natural.
    • Dial down the fill (your on-camera flash) so that it no brighter than 2/3 stop under your main. If it's anywhere between 1.5 and 2 stops less then your main, you will get much more interting effects.
    edited October 10, 2008
    Thanks again for all your comments. Even the harsh ones:(: :(: I am looking to learn, that's why I am here. Lighting is a huge challenge for me. This girl was a challenge. The 2nd time around she brought a friend so I utilized her to lighten the girl up. The first time I think she was uncomfortable around her mother. I have been experimenting with my Fong whaletale and I am new to studio lighting so I am not quite sure what to do with it yet. Also where I have been taking my pictures there is mostly all shade so I try to catch some sun for hair lights when I can. My style so far has been slightly overexposed, light, not too contrasty. That seems to be my trademark at the moment but I will continue to try new things. I am also new to manual settings and this is a huge learning curve. I struggle through everyday with it but will eventually figure it out with your help I hope :D Here are a few more, with mostly unprocessed skin because she was in a hurry to pick which pose she liked best for the yearbook. That is also why most of the pictures are cropped tightly and more dead center because she just needs a 2x3 photo headshot type.

Scott...as far as the picture before I am not sure where all the catchlights are coming from. I was about 20feet away with the flash dialed down. There must have been a reflection off something. I don't know what else it could be but I appreciate your specifics on settings, keep it up if you would. I need a good teacher. I really want to get it right someday.
    Any further critiques on these new photo's. They definately liked them much better. ..

389194125_SrnFB-L-2.jpg

389188358_9YtEy-L-2.jpg

389191068_X8i36-L-2.jpg

389189403_yhXXN-L-2.jpg

389192589_AW8RV-L-2.jpg
    edited October 10, 2008
    HI Wings,
    Fast learner..these are much better than the first set. Lighting is not so bright better posing. Subject is more engaged.
    Still the flat light. Really...to take the next step you need to take the flash off your camera and use available light from the side or use the flash off camera. If you have a Nikon this is very easy using the commander mode.

I hope you don't mind but I tried to take one of your photos and tweak it a bit.
    I tried to add some shadow without it looking too fake to show the difference even a small amount of shadow/depth can make in the photo.
    I cleaned the skin up (some will say to much) fixed her teeth sharpened it a bit. Blurred and darkened the background a bit.
    Added some shadow to the right side of her face (as you are viewing the picture) to simulate a light from the photos left. All this took about 5 minutes. She is a pretty girl.
    Just say the word and I will remove the photo...my only intent is to try to be helpful.

391100997_hWigL-O.jpg
    edited October 10, 2008
    Very cool Zoomer, it is helpful to see how other people's brains work for the same photo! Thanks for the play by play! All of these are pretty much unedited because I didn't want to go to the trouble until she decided on her poses because I think I did enough for that whopping $50.00 I made! Can you explain about moving the flash off the camera? I used to work with a extender until my ttl cord frayed. Now I have the big whaletale. Do you mean flashing off of a light stand? I actually have 2 SB800's I could use, I just don't know what to do with them ne_nau.gif It is unfortunate I don't have any local photogs I can hook up with to learn so I am doing so trial and error. Thanks for your help.
    edited October 10, 2008
    Wings,
    Go to the local photography store, pickup a cheapo lightweight stand 8' high is enough. Pick up a cheapo softbox 36" is about right and a connector to hook the sb800 to the light stand. That is all you need for off camera lighting.
    My entire setup cost $70.

Then set you camera flash to commander mode and your sb800 to remote.
    It tells you how to do it in the manuals.
    It is way easy...if I could figure it out anyone can.
    Then when you shoot your on camera flash it only sets off the sb800..presto off camera lighting. No wires required.

Do a search on it on the internet and you can find several sites that will explain it in depth.

One other tip. I only show my customers finished pictures. I don't show anybody the raw pictures fresh out of the camera. I want my customers to be wowed when they see their pictures.