MotoGP Indianapolis

RaphyRaphy Registered Users Posts: 431 Major grins
edited September 20, 2008 in Sports
1st time at a MotoGP race and loved it !!! I've been into bikes (and i own one) so this was a thrill for me...and a chance to photograph the world's best riders was just an amazing experience.

I took WAAAAAY too many photos, including the 125cc, 250cc and more....but here are some of my faves:

(Yes, i'm a BIG Rossi fan) !!!

374830716_sAtYN-L.jpg

374831190_3zNEH-L.jpg

374831045_62mBt-XL.jpg

374831644_gxD2S-L.jpg

374830359_A72tj-XL.jpg

374831286_qT3fe-XL.jpg

374831416_QAPB6-L.jpg

374830650_kueYv-L.jpg

374831527_7yjV6-L.jpg

374830494_VpoQb-XL.jpg

374828180_wdKFu-L.jpg

374830275_MBgAy-L.jpg

...and probably my favorite shot >>>

374831768_rVv3d-L.jpg

Comments

• BCSPhotoguyBCSPhotoguy Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2008
    Wow... Simply put!

Putting that Nikon to some great use!!
    ...more to come!
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    Great series of shots!! Were these all shot with the Tammie 200-500?

It looks like your Tammie 200-500 is a winner. 200-500 is a nice range for shooting bikes, isn't it?

Are YOU pleased with the lens? Complaints with it?

These are dynamite shots to my eye. Were shooting jpgs or RAW?

I think these are in good focus, but can be sharpened in Photoshop to look even crisper. Are these handheld, or tripod based?

Great series.

Can you just imagine riding and cornering that fast in the rain? I am always blown away watching them accelerate out of a turn on only the rear wheel on a rain slick track. Smooooth.....
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • RaphyRaphy Registered Users Posts: 431 Major grins
    pathfinder wrote:
    Great series of shots!! It looks like your Tammie 200-500 is a winner. 200-500 is a nice range for shooting bikes, isn't it?

Are YOU pleased with the lens? Complaints with it?

These are dynamite shots to my eye. Were shooting jpgs or RAW?

I think these are in good focus, but can be sharpened in Photoshop to look even crisper. Are these handheld, or tripod based?

Great series.

Can you just imagine riding and cornering that fast in the rain? I am always blown away watching them accelerate out of a turn on only the rear wheel on a rain slick track. Smooooth.....

THanks guys !!

pathfinder - yes, ALL were shot with the Tamron 200-500mm....and i gotta say that for the price, i am very pleased with the lens. I mean, it's not a $3000 prime 2.8 with lightning fast AF... but it is what it is...and for the fraction of the cost, i couldn't be happier. I shot all in jpg and on a monopod... This is was actually my 2nd time ever shooting motorcycles...

I will try and see what sharpening will do to these in photoshop! thumb.gif

P.S. I cannot imagine leaning those things over like that - i went out on my bike on Tuesday and i just can't see how these guys do it...incredible !
  • 2whlrcr2whlrcr Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    Heard the conditions were atrocious on Sunday. Really love the first one.
  • PeterLyonsPeterLyons Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    Awesome, awesome, awesome. Not only is your subject extremely cool, but you've developed a very interesting approach to shooting it. I especially love the first, third, and last. But every one is a totally killer shot.

Did you do any Photoshop work on the first one? It looks like you must have dropped color from all but the biker, but maybe I'm wrong. However you got it, that's an amazing shot.

And that third shot--the very wide one--you must have done some post-processing to get things to look just that way. Very impressive results.

I love your creative use of post processing, cropping, and shooting deliberately askew.
  • lazzaramlazzaram Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    Great shots ive shot some motocycle stuff before and love it. your shots are great nice job to bad the race ended on a red.
  • mochee10mochee10 Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited September 18, 2008
    Fantastic photos here. I am a huge fan of motorcycle racing and you did a fabulous job of capturing the true feeling of speed. thumb.gif
  • hanseathanseat Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    Great, great and fantastic pics!!!
    Greetings from Germany
    Jan
    Homepage
  • picturegirlpicturegirl Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    I think these photos are excellent!! #1-Looks like a commerical, you can really feel the movement in that photo, #2-Rossi Pano, just awesome! Great catch with Vermeulen going down!!! Aren't Rossi and Stoner amazing to watch?!?!? We go to Laguna Seca every year, it's so much fun! Hear we had better weather than you guys did, sorry to hear about all the rain, that sucks :(: I don't do to much track shooting my 70-200 doesn't get quite close enough, tempted to rent a big lens for next year, just know how long I would be able to lug it around.
  • kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    Wow!clap.gifclap.gif

Just super. I'm a big Rossi fan as well. He's definetly the G.O.A.T. :D

Also, goes to show that a truly talented photographer can take great shots even with less than state of the art equipment.

It's hard to believe that those were taken with an inexpensive consumer grade zoom lens. Just plain great work.

Gene
  • RaphyRaphy Registered Users Posts: 431 Major grins
    Thanks so much for the kind comments everyone... i had such a blast taking these photos !! Definitely going again next year (let's just hope for no rain thumb.gif)
  • fire1035fire1035 Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2008
    Nice shots!

Thanks for visiting my town. (Speedway, The actual home of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, not Indianapolis)

Sorry about the rain!
  • tcsphototcsphoto Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2008
    Very nice shots. I was there as well. I keep my camera in the bag Sunday. I like your wet pics. What did you use to keep the camera dry?
    Tom (tcsphoto)

I used to dream of all things Nikon, then I got the bill.
    http://www.sowdphotography.com/