Trying out my new Wacom Tablet

RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
edited September 21, 2008 in People
I had posted this a while back as a response to an earlier thread. I wanted to try out my new Wacom 6x11 that I got today so I redid the PP from scratch to get a feel for the tablet. C&C welcome:

374851126_F5mLZ-L.jpg
Randy Brogen, CPP
www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP

Comments

• SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2008
    I think it's beautifully done Randy!thumb.gif So, tell me abou the tablet..I've been thinking of getting one but have no idea how one would choose different tools, opacity levels, etc.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    Thanks Swartzy. I'm a big fan of Scott Kelby and I was reviewing some of his on-line seminars and I went through his entire Portrait Retouching class where he used the Wacom. It takes a bit of getting used to selecting and all but I've only been using it for about 30 minutes and I've gotten the hang of it pretty well for never having used one before. There are several configurable buttons that once you use it a bit, you will figure out what key strokes or actions to assign to them (e.g. I've setup two of my left buttons for left and right bracket for adjusting my brush sizes quickly). The stylus has a button that gives you both right and left click functionality and to top it off it comes with it's own 5 button mouse.

I was immediately impressed with the level of detail and accuracy that you can achieve withthe stylus and in a much more natural stroke with the brushes than ever with the mouse alone. It literally is like you are painting. All and all i am sold already and can't wait to do some of the pastel paintings techniqes that I'm learning from Fay Sirkis. thumb.gif The Wacom ROCKS :ivar
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• EkajEkaj Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    It looks like the photo was divided in half from the top right corner to the bottom left corner and the lower left portion was blurred. I dunno, it just looks strange to me, not what you would expect from regular short DoF. I like the eyes though, well done there.
    edited September 18, 2008
    Ekaj wrote:
    It looks like the photo was divided in half from the top right corner to the bottom left corner and the lower left portion was blurred. I dunno, it just looks strange to me, not what you would expect from regular short DoF. I like the eyes though, well done there.

Ekaj: I don't see that on my version and there was no PP done that would delineate the picture that way. Yes her eyes are were the first thing I noticed when I saw her.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• WinemanWineman Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2008
    i have always been courious about getting a tablet, they seem more natural than the mouse, but I have other prioritie$$ at the moment.

Btw, the photo looks great at least on my iPhone, beautiful eyes.

Z.
    I do not suffer insanity... I enjoy it!!!
    I WANT ONE......NOW :D:D:D:D:Drolleyes1.gif
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • XanderturesXandertures Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    I purchased a Wacom back in June and I can't see how I ever got by without one before. The saying is really true.. using Photoshop with a mouse is like drawing with a brick.
    Nikon D750 | Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G | SB-700 & 2 SB-600's - Powered by SmugMug!
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    I am seriously considering getting one of these. Pretty darn cool.

How is the pressure sensitivity thing working for you? I wondered how that would work. I would def need to hide the pen when it is not in use since I have lots of little artists around here that constantly borrow pens and pencils. : )
    I am seriously considering getting one of these. Pretty darn cool.

How is the pressure sensitivity thing working for you? I wondered how that would work. I would def need to hide the pen when it is not in use since I have lots of little artists around here that constantly borrow pens and pencils. : )

Hi HeatherFether: The pressure sensitivity is awesome...it takes a bit of time to tweak to your own liking which is also a great feature that it is so customizable. I'm a bit heavy handed and I must say, I've been able to dial in the sensitivity to be very responsive and lifelike. The ease of which you can lightly touch a single pixel in the center of the center of the size of your brush or apply more pressure and you see the affect grow to the full size of the brush and anywhere in between is very efficient.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• livinginozlivinginoz Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    i use one, not just with photoshop, but with all my applications. i originally got it because it made it a lot easier to create clipping paths around the photos i shoot at work, but it makes it very easy to work a lot of detail work on any photo. i have a hard time going back to using a mouse at all.
    laurie in rural minnesota

my stuff
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    Very interesting discussion....definitely curious, myself.
    I liked this pic when you posted it a while back and I still like it.

Do you find that you get fatigued less (neck and/or back pain) using the tablet vs. the mouse? Or is it even more challenging to find a comfortable, ergonomic working position?
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • zackerzacker Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    i have the same pad and love it... makes short work of selections and erasing / cloning..
    http://www.brokenfencephotography.com :D

www.theanimalhaven.com :thumb

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap
    urbanaries wrote:
    Very interesting discussion....definitely curious, myself.
    I liked this pic when you posted it a while back and I still like it.

Do you find that you get fatigued less (neck and/or back pain) using the tablet vs. the mouse? Or is it even more challenging to find a comfortable, ergonomic working position?

Thanks urbanaries. I actually found it very comfortable. The table comes with a generously long USB cable out of the box so you can adjust or even sit back if you wish.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    Beautiful pic, beautiful girl!

I have had a small Graphire 4x5 Wacom for a few years now, and I think they're splendid! I don't use it all the time, but for detail work, it's soooo much better than a mouse.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
    Elaine wrote:
    Beautiful pic, beautiful girl!

I have had a small Graphire 4x5 Wacom for a few years now, and I think they're splendid! I don't use it all the time, but for detail work, it's soooo much better than a mouse.

Thank you Elaine. I'm really having fun with this new toy. I'm looking forward to my next shoot so I can really test it out.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2008
    Great photo and editing...

Here is how I have seen it:
    Worse tool to come with any computer......DA mouse
    much better than mouse....... TRACKBALL......I still can't sign digital doc with a track ball but easier to use and better on wrist and arms than mouse...
    Best tool.....tablet and pen......I have an old Graphire by wacom and I will never, ever use a mouse again........
    I want to upgrade my 4x6 tablet.....but I am hoping Wacom gets gutsy and makes a new model that is wireless....that would be da bomb......

Personally I cannot believe that mouse's haven't been outlawed....they are absolutley terrible for your hands, wrists and forearms......but great for those carpal tunnel surgeons :D:D rolleyes1.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    Art Scott wrote:
    Great photo and editing...

Here is how I have seen it:
    Worse tool to come with any computer......DA mouse
    much better than mouse....... TRACKBALL......I still can't sign digital doc with a track ball but easier to use and better on wrist and arms than mouse...
    Best tool.....tablet and pen......I have an old Graphire by wacom and I will never, ever use a mouse again........
    I want to upgrade my 4x6 tablet.....but I am hoping Wacom gets gutsy and makes a new model that is wireless....that would be da bomb......

Personally I cannot believe that mouse's haven't been outlawed....they are absolutley terrible for your hands, wrists and forearms......but great for those carpal tunnel surgeons :D:D rolleyes1.gif

Art...check this:
    http://www.wacom.com/graphire/
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • jayegirljayegirl Registered Users Posts: 276 Major grins
    Once you get a tablet and learn how to use it, you will wonder how you ever did any detail work with a mouse.
    Jaye
    Not to hijack the thread or take it somewhere else....but which tablet would be good for the stuff we do. I don't do Corel Paint but a ton of people touch ups :D with PS/LR...oh, and how much...oh, and any good deals or dealers?
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
    Swartzy wrote:
    Not to hijack the thread or take it somewhere else....but which tablet would be good for the stuff we do. I don't do Corel Paint but a ton of people touch ups :D with PS/LR...oh, and how much...oh, and any good deals or dealers?

Hey Swartzy: I got mine from newegg.com and I chose the 6x11 because that was the one that Scott Kelby uses. I love it.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    Thanks for the link Elaine....that may have to do...but i was hopeing for something in the 8x10 or 9x12 size:D and their cintiq screen is just to dang expensive....I mean really I could get a 22" HP LCD flat panel computer for $1400 at Office Max......and it is a touch screen.....really nice to play with and I even tried a stylus from a PDA and it recogized it....that is 22" of workable screen..........
    Swartzy wrote:

I got mine off Ebay used....it came with a wireless mouse (which I have never even tried to use as I have my TrACKBAL. from Logitech) and I wrote Wacom a n email to get drivers.....it is 4 x 6 work space, I got it for less than I could have gotten what Comp USA or Best buy had for their cheapest at the time, it has been a dream.....now I want a larger workspace....I have been looking at graphics tabs in the 8x10 and 9x12 sizes....but non that size have I seen in wireless....
    It makes signing your work a dream.....now just plain ol copyrights are done with key strokes.....but my siggy is done with the tab and stylus.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited September 21, 2008
    Painter X & Wacom Tablet Package from Corel
    Just an FYI - Corel has a special where you can actually get Painter X and a Wacom tablet (several different versions) at a discount for the package. Checkout this link: http://apps.corel.com/promotions/wacom_px/index.html
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com