Rebel XTi question

i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
edited September 18, 2008 in Cameras
Recently when the battery started to get low (not dead) the shutter started to act squirrely. The mirror would 'lock' up when you tried to fire a shot. Shutter speed seemed to be irrelevant, it would just go up and stay. Then we had to remove the battery and restart before it would take a shot. Would then take 2-3 shots and lock up again. So far we've got less that 2K clicks and the eject button on the CF card has broken and now this... is this normal?

If not, how can I fix? Is there new firmware or something I'm missing?:scratch
I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
~Herbert Keppler

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited September 17, 2008
    I would definitely try a different battery.

What lens was on the camera?

You might also try taking out the battery as well as the backup battery and letting the camera sit for a couple of hours. This should perform a system reset (I think) and wipe out the settings and possible conflicts in the camera logic.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2008
    I remember something similar with a Sterlingtek battery that went bad on my old XT. Have you tried another battery?
  • i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I would definitely try a different battery.

What lens was on the camera?

You might also try taking out the battery as well as the backup battery and letting the camera sit for a couple of hours. This should perform a system reset (I think) and wipe out the settings and possible conflicts in the camera logic.

Don't have a second battery at the moment - it's on order, should be here next week (wonderful red tape of the educational system.) How do I remove the backup battery for the system reset?

Thanks guys! (BTW, this is the stock Canon battery... but it's operating time is POOR. I LOATHE the new 'settings on the screen' function. Eats the battery like candy, but I also don't like staring in the viewfinder to check my f/stop.)
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    ... How do I remove the backup battery for the system reset?

If you don't have your user manual, check here:

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/0900000357/EOSDRXTi400DIM-EN.pdf
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    Thanks! I tried it and we'll see what happens when the battery gets a little lower. :D

~Herbert Keppler