Nikon D60 Questions

Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
edited September 21, 2008 in Cameras
I just bought a Nikon D60 and I was curious if there is a vertical grip made for it? Also what type of flash do you recommend? Any other tid bits of info or advice would be great too! Thanks to everyone for dealing with my newbie status!

Comments

• swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2008
    I know Ownuser makes a grip for the D60. I have their grip for the E-510 and love it. Here is a link for the D60 one:

http://www.ownuser.com.tw/e_D40_main.htm
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    In addition to what Jonathan provided, if you just want a very basic vertical grip plus batteries Adorama sells something very basic that people seem to appreciate:

http://www.adorama.com/INKMBD40A.html

Additionally, I hear good things about the Targus, which has the additional shutter button:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/551706-REG/Targus_TG_BGD40_TG_BGD40_Vertical_Battery_Grip.html
    http://www.adorama.com/TGVGNKD40.html

One note, these are not extremely well made, super high quality photographic accessories. The tightening thumb screw in particular can break if over-tightened. Count on some extra "wiggle" when you use these grips and don't over-tighten. If the thumb screw does break, you won't be able to remove the grip without (probably) having to destroy the grip.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    The very best flashes for the Nikon D60 are the Nikon SB-800 and the SB-600 speedlights. The SB-800 is the flagship of the Nikon line and the price is not out-of-line with the features.

Sigma also makes a good line of flashes. While the user interface takes some getting used to and the construction is not up to the standards of the Nikon flashes, the quality of the results is pretty hard to dismiss. I own 2 of the Sigma EF 500 DG Super flashes and I use them professionally.

The latest version (for Nikon mount) that I would recommend is the Sigma EF-530 DG Super NA i-TTL:

http://sigma4less.com/sigma-ef-530-dg-super-na-i-ttl-shoe-mount-flash-for-nikon-af-with-i-ttl-operation.html
    ziggy53
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    The Sb-800 is a great flash that has top of the line features. If you want basic no-frills flash, the SB-400 would be a great alternative for around $100.00. It's light and small. That's the drawback too as it's not as powerful as the SB-600 or Sb-800. You can use the Sb-400 to bounce light off the ceiling, walls etc. If you want more flexibility than the in-built flash, but don't want to fool with controls or need the advanced features, the Sb-400 is a great LITTLE flash. I have even been able to use it to trigger the Sb-800 remotely so it can be used for more advanced lighting.
  • Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    Thanks for all the info on flashes! I have been considering the SB-800 so its good to hear a lot of other good things. Also I saw that grip for the D60 but I couldnt find a way to buy it or how much it cost. So I have recently just bought my D60 and I am already curious if I should have went bigger with maybe a D80, D90 or maybe even a D300. What is everyones recommendations on if I should upgrade or not?
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    The D90 is getting good reviews so far as it's image quality is pretty much the same as the D300,D700 and D3, in good light.

I would go with the D90, skip the D300, or get a D700 as it's noise performance makes it worth the price difference.

If you are new to photography, I recommend getting the most out of the D60 before upgrading because you will always have new stuff to upgrade too. Composition and exposure make for better pictures.
    edited September 21, 2008
    jonh68 wrote:
    The D90 is getting good reviews so far as it's image quality is pretty much the same as the D300,D700 and D3, in good light.

I would go with the D90, skip the D300, or get a D700 as it's noise performance makes it worth the price difference.

If you are new to photography, I recommend getting the most out of the D60 before upgrading because you will always have new stuff to upgrade too. Composition and exposure make for better pictures.

I will probably keep with the D60 and invest in a better lens or lenses. I would like to maybe get a fisheye lens or macro lens. Does anyone suggest things to buy for doing portraits? Like filters or light diffusers?
    I will probably keep with the D60 and invest in a better lens or lenses. I would like to maybe get a fisheye lens or macro lens. Does anyone suggest things to buy for doing portraits? Like filters or light diffusers?

What type of portraiture would you like to do? (There are all different kinds.)

For example, in photographing an individual you can have a:

Head shot
    Head-and-shoulders

I usually suggest an 85mm prime lens for the above on a crop 1.5x/1.6x body.

3/4 length
    Full-length

I usually suggest a 50mm lens for the above.

For a group I usually suggest a 17-55mm(ish), f2.8 zoom.

For a studio portrait you will need (generally) 2 to 4 lights and stands and modifiers and controls. Several backdrops are common as are props and fixtures.

For outdoor portraiture you will need diffusors, reflectors, probably a flash or 2 with stands etc. as above.

Learn all that you can about lighting styles and posing.
    ziggy53
    Ziggy-

Thanks for the info! I was thinking more about outdoor portraits. More like people in the norm but in a photographic way. I was thinking about getting a something so that everyone isn't squinting and blinded. Also I really don't know much about lenses but is there a real difference if the lens has a 52mm output or 67mm or 72mm? Also is there a diffusor you suggest? I really appreciate all the advice you are giving since I am pretty new to all this so the more info I can absorb the better. Hopefully if I get good enough I could do this for more then just a hobby! Thanks!wings.gif
    Ziggy-

Thanks for the info! I was thinking more about outdoor portraits. More like people in the norm but in a photographic way. I was thinking about getting a something so that everyone isn't squinting and blinded. Also I really don't know much about lenses but is there a real difference if the lens has a 52mm output or 67mm or 72mm? Also is there a diffusor you suggest? I really appreciate all the advice you are giving since I am pretty new to all this so the more info I can absorb the better. Hopefully if I get good enough I could do this for more then just a hobby! Thanks!wings.gif

I'm not sure I follow your thought so excuse me while I take some guesses.

It sounds like you want to take "informal" portraits, which could also be called candids. I like to use somewhat longer zooms under shade and then add fill light from a flash. If I get close to the subject then I want to use a light modifier, probably a "scoop" modifier.

If you can't find shade, or if the situation requires it, a diffusion panel may be required. I don't honestly think that's what you want because it would also require stands/holders/helpers, depending upon use.

It sounds like you may be talking about reflectors, but again those are indicated in a more controlled shoot and require planning and setup. I suggest a fairly powerful flash and find some shade like I mentioned above. Proper technique is pretty important.

Those measurements you mention, 52mm, 67mm and 72mm, sound like filter thread sizes. More important than that are the largest aperture ratings for the lenses. While the Nikkor 50mm, f1.4D works great for outdoor and indoor work, the Nikkor 50mm, f1.8D is almost as good and costs much less.

The Nikkor 85mm, f1.8D is likewise a very good and reasonable lens.

Both of these lenses would be manual focus on the Nikon D60.

The Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di-II LD SP ZL Aspherical (IF) Zoom Lens with Built In Motor for Nikon is probably a good choice for a standard zoom.
    ziggy53