Candids of kids

TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
edited September 18, 2008 in People
Well, I'm stepping up my game and went ahead and purchased two flash units. An SB 600 and an SB 800. These photos were shot with the 600. I'm learning to use the flash for fill and I don't think these first attempts were too shabby.

#1 My most cooperative model ever. Introducing Scarecrow. lol.
374925849_YEnB5-L.jpg

#2 Jahn
374925791_L4opb-L.jpg
374925887_hHJCE-L.jpg
#4 Jello and Zombie (lol)
374925994_rmFPL-L.jpg
#5 My attempt at dramatic lighting
374925969_8bP52-L.jpg
#6 The bunch (Told a really funny joke and they were cracking up.)
374925959_w8k2r-L.jpg

These next two shots were too busy and blurry for my taste, but I thought they were worth a look. Low light action is a killer... :(
#7 Leap of Faith
374925792_L2LTX-L.jpg
#8 Michael Jordache. Hahahaha!
374925828_hHRxq-L.jpg

Now you know how Jahn earned his busted lip. C & C always welcomed. Enjoy.
Frank Martinez
Nikon Shooter
It's all about the moment...

Comments

• heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2008
    #4 is pretty fun! I love the expressions. It is as though they have a little private joke between them.

New equipment is fun, huh!

Now on to the critique-
    Be careful of shadows. If you can, try to bounce that flash off of something to prevent the dark shadows behind your subject like in #s 6, 7 & 8. Make a better bounce card if your ceiling is to high to use as a reflector.

The one where you were attempting dramatic lighting, just ended up being under exposed. Try making a snoot out of a piece of paper or cardboard and wrap it around your flash head for more controlled selective lighting.

But most of all go to the strobist website and learn about lighting- it will change your world. And even more than that, keep on shooting every moment you can. Practice will make you a better photographer, especially if you add a little learning to it.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    The lighting on the closeup shot seem a bit flat to me...ie there is little contrast in curves of the face,etc. Try boiuncing the flash off ceiling or wall.

Then you have a couple of pics with harsh/heavy shadows. Again try bouncing the flash.

I do like the expersions and stuff of your subjects..that's the hard part! #4 is a nice shot imo
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    Thanks guys. That was my first try with the SB 600. I was over at a friend's house and took some random shots of the kids. All of those shots were bounced off the walls.

I'm going to use the SB 800 as my on camera, and remote the 600 for rim/side/ or back light.

Heather, I'm already signed up on the strobist blog spot. lol. Dave is very creative with his work and especially his wording. Very entertaining. I'm going to do the "shooting glass" tonight ala Liquid Air. So be on the look out for that. Just finished the bottle of Grey Goose especially for this assignment. So forgive me if I spelled something wrong.

Photography is my anti-drug. Bwahahahaha!
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...