Drinking Alone

Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
edited September 18, 2008 in People
I got inspired last night and decided to depict myself as a hopeless drunk. First I tried a snooted sb-600 firing almost straight down on me, but the light was too tight. Then I went to sort of a half snoot/gobo that I rigged up out of as sheet of fun foam and some tape, in order to keep the light off the stand and the background. This also let some fill bounce off the white ceiling. A reflector was placed camera right for additional fill; without it, my face would have been in near total darkness. I initially intended for these to be black and white but made many different versions of each and decided I liked the sepia tone with the whiskey selectively colored the best... I tried doing it with black and white but it seemed more out of place, not to mention cliche. I guess it's still sort of a cliche, but what the hell, I like the way it looks. Let me know what you think:

n6605577_31586936_2615.jpg

n6605577_31586932_2475.jpg

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited September 18, 2008
    These are both very good. Great use of wide angle perspective, especially in #1. Well done. thumb.gif
  • BlakerBlaker Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    I love the first one! Great expression, and the lighting and perspective really add to the feel of what you are trying to project. I also love how you left the drink in color- very effective in this self portrait!
  • GJMPhotoGJMPhoto Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    Add a reflection
    I like the ideas and execution!

I think I would allow the reflection of the liquor on the bar to show some of its color...not all of it, but a subtle whiskey-hue on the bar would go a long way to tying the photo together. Maybe put a gradient on your B&W mask and just expose the whiskey...I think the photos would end up much more powerful!

(edit - afterthought) Or...maybe put a little color into your face on the second shot...almost as if the liquor is being reflected onto your face. That would tie the liquor to the drinker and keep the focus centered and connected.

I think the key is that the drink isn't the sole center of attention...it's the effect the drink is having on the drinker and his loneliness...so I'd like to see them connected more.

- Gary.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    haha..seems like you are having fun. cool captures.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    I really like #1. Good work thumb.gif
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    Richard wrote:
    These are both very good. Great use of wide angle perspective, especially in #1. Well done. thumb.gif
    +! 15524779-Ti.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    Great shots! I love the camera angle in #1.