Mickayla

heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
edited September 21, 2008 in People
Hi all- I just had to share some of these pictures of little miss Mickayla.
Her mom and I work together sometimes, so I did these as a favor.

Let me know how I did. These are mostly SOOC, so forgive any blemishes.

Guess how old she is. I had no idea until the very end of the shoot, and was quite surprised.

375222618_mtyfJ-M.jpg

2. We are in the throes of a rainy fall up here, thus the umbrella.
375223314_94VXV-M.jpg

375223067_k7BeY-M.jpg

375224794_GrKeo-M.jpg

375222216_3iegf-M.jpg

5. And I'll be the first to say that I am not so good in the studio, so any pointers on this one would be very helpful. (And in this one her purple hair really shows up) My issue in the studio, just might be my jurry rigged setup though.

375218469_ZY83x-M.jpg

375218373_raYFg-M.jpg

375223531_Wqzqo-M.jpg

C & C always welcomed, folks.

Comments

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2008
    Nice shots Heather. I"m guessing she is 12 going on 23 :D
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    I really love the first 3, though in #3 it looks like she has a wet spot on her derriere. :D

In #4, I want to see her chin a little lifted and her right (our left) eye brought out a little more, but I like the pose.

You've got 2 #5s, so on the second #5, it's the pose and desaturated treatment that distract me. And on a second look, the fact that the lower half of her face has light but the upper half is shadowed. Perhaps having the main light in the upper right and the fill lower left might work? No idea what your jury-rigged set-up was, though. deal.gif

And #7 is my fave of the bunch! iloveyou.gif The only teeny, tiny nit I have is her hand. I think it would be better had she turned it so her her fingers were facing the lens instead of the back of her hand.

Overall, this is a really cute set! thumb.gif

For age, I'll guess (a really grown-up looking) 13.
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    great poses Heather! I hear you on the studio thing. I am learning to not be afraid of my studio...lol. I also prefer the natural light...which my studio has none of.

I would guess that she is older than she looks. She looks to be between 12 and 14...but because I see a ring on her left ring finger...I might guess she is marrying age? 18-20?headscratch.gif
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    very pretty girl..got a little katies holmes thing goin on. nice captures for the most part
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    1,2,3, and 6 are my favorites. nice!
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    Agh, you're driving me crazy .. haha .. very nice clap.gifclap What's the processing you're doing on the outdoor shots? Very nice ... haha ... agh ...
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    I love number 2, 3, and 7! The angles in 3 are really interesting. I'd also like to see 2 with a closer crop. I would guess 13. I have an almost 12 year old who looks nearly as mature. Unfortunately, she's getting pretty comfortable in front of the camera!rolleyes1.gif

This is my first post. Hi everyone.

-Caroline
    carolinepoe.smugmug.com
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    WElcome to dgrin, caroline!!! clap.gif Hope you enjoy it here!!

I bet she is late teen!!!

I like this series! Not sure about #3 and how she is totally walking away though.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    Very nice! I love the poses and processing.
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2008
    Thanks everyone, she is actually 14. You all were so close, I was amazed. I don't know what the ring is....

to Llewellen- yeah, her tuchas was wet in #3, she had just been sitting on my wet lawn. How in the world do I keep numbering things wrong!?!eek7.gif I swear I finished kindergarten! rolleyes1.gif And I so agree with you about #7 and her hand.... I had thought of it, but of course it was in post. But the photo stands even with the hand turned that way and the rubber band on the wrist.
    My studio setup is as follows: white seamless paper (duh) 580exII with 36in shoot through brolly at 45 on the camera left about 6 feet high, 480ex with silver/black brolly at 45 at camera right prob about shoulder hight and here is the part that kills me... a construction halogen lamp hung above the seamless paper shining down on the background about 3 feet behind subject. (It kills my color, let me tell ya.) I need to get something else for that for sure. Working on it. I don't do enough studio work yet to justify spending big buckeroos, but I suppose once I got it figured out I would do more, eh. Circular reasoning, I suppose.

to JAG- We could def get together and fix our studio handicap with some strobist exercises... And spending a bit more moolah might help. Not that I ever have problems with that, eh? To say that I have a lot to learn would be true, but that is why I am practicing!

To Qarik- I had to do a search to figure out who Katie Holmes was, but yeah, I suppose she has that sort of look.

To cj99si- Glad it struck a chord with you! Thanks for the comment
    Agh, you're driving me crazy .. haha .. very nice clap.gifclap What's the processing you're doing on the outdoor shots? Very nice ... haha ... agh ...
    Agnieszka, you goose. Nothing fancy, I swear. Just convert in ACR and crank the contrast as far as I dare. Add a little vignette and color boost and there you have it! Of course it all depends on the photo.

To Sweet Caroline- what an honor of getting your very first post as a comment on my thread. I appreciate that compliment very much. (and you are nearly right!)

To MooglePepper- Thanks!

To DavidS- And thanks to you for your comment! Glad to see you on the boards again!
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    Nice!!!thumb.gif

I especially like 1 and 3! The wet butt goes well with the umbrella.

My only nit really would be #5....er....the second #5. I'm not crazy about the processing here. It definately looks lifeless as compared to the rest of the set. The lighting...to me....looks fine, but the coloring doesn't do her justice.

Ill take a stab and say 13.

BTW....I'd bet you can find a fairly cheap third party flash unit that has some manual adjustment that will fire when it senses your Canon flashes firing that would light that BG just fine. Hopefully someone will reccomend a good one for you...or you couls ask in accessories or technique to get some guidance there.
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    I'm lovin the outdoor shots. That dress really sets well amongst the green....pretty, quirky, expressive shots. She's really a pretty girl. Guessing she's around 12 going on 25 tomorrow? Nicely done. The indoor shots are nice as well....maybe a bit of processing style change..but that is totally up for grabs.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • RisenhooverRisenhoover Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    These are all very nice, I like the shots with the umbrella the most. Someday I hope to take shots as nice as these, thanks for sharing them.
    Perception is a strange and wonderful thing.
    edited September 20, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Nice!!!thumb.gif

I especially like 1 and 3! The wet butt goes well with the umbrella.

My only nit really would be #5....er....the second #5. I'm not crazy about the processing here. It definately looks lifeless as compared to the rest of the set. The lighting...to me....looks fine, but the coloring doesn't do her justice.

Ill take a stab and say 13.

BTW....I'd bet you can find a fairly cheap third party flash unit that has some manual adjustment that will fire when it senses your Canon flashes firing that would light that BG just fine. Hopefully someone will reccomend a good one for you...or you couls ask in accessories or technique to get some guidance there.

Thanks Jeff- she is 14, so you were close!

I was just looking at my local craigslist and found a cheap 580EX (not II) and thought I might pick it up since it is going so cheap. And then I have to figure out how to diffuse. Gosh, I need to take classes on this.

And as to the desat on the second #5... yeah, it was sucking bad color in there. I even did the grey card and custom wb, but that yellow from the halogen was just too overpowering.
    Swartzy wrote:
    I'm lovin the outdoor shots. That dress really sets well amongst the green....pretty, quirky, expressive shots. She's really a pretty girl. Guessing she's around 12 going on 25 tomorrow? Nicely done. The indoor shots are nice as well....maybe a bit of processing style change..but that is totally up for grabs.

Hi Steve! Thanks for stopping on by and commenting! I guess the partial desat is a universal dislike with all. I'll have to figure something else out with these.
    These are all very nice, I like the shots with the umbrella the most. Someday I hope to take shots as nice as these, thanks for sharing them.

No problem! I love to share with all you wonderful DG folks.

None of us have arrived, so we all just keep working at it and getting even better.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2008
    I was just looking at my local craigslist and found a cheap 580EX (not II) and thought I might pick it up since it is going so cheap. And then I have to figure out how to diffuse. Gosh, I need to take classes on this.

Awesome! I recently bought a used 580EX here in the forum REeeeaaaal cheap IMO. One neat thing they have that is amiss on the EXII is a three way switch to allow you to switch between "off"(normal operation),"master",and "slave" without having to navigate through menus. I wish they had kept that on later models. I have noticed it is noisier...with the whine I am used to with my old Pentax units, but it is not bothersome. I am no studio lighting guru, but it would seem that a really short light stand and bare flash would do the trick. It automatically zooms to its widest setting when in slave mode I think....and you could pop the built in diffuser down. I'd be more worried about the line of sight needs.....but....you can get an optical trigger and run that flash on manual....it will fire when it "sees" the other flashes firing.
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2008
    I would not have guessed 14 years. I like 1, 2, 3, and the last one the most.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com