Options

how can I straighten this photo

ky1ky1 Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
edited September 21, 2008 in Finishing School

Comments

• Options
    Zeus1Zeus1 Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited September 19, 2008
    Using Photoshop: open the image. Select the ruler tool (in CS3, this is hidden under the tool, just above the Hand-tool. Click and hold this Eyedripper tool; when the three icons appear, select the ruler.

With the ruler active, click-and-hold on one of the vertical lines in the castle (one of the towers). Now drag the ruler down, following the exact outline of the tower.
    Go the the Menu Image>Rotate Canvas>Arbitrary...
    As You open Arbitrary, a window will show You several possibilities with (in this case) 2.97 degrees clockwise already filled in. Hit OK and hey presto, You pict will be rotated so that the verticals are indeed vertical.
    Now crop the picture as needed.

I prefer Photoshop for rotating pictures, as it is the most exact and easiest. Other software packages are more "hit and run".
  • Options
    EarthDogEarthDog Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2008
    Zeus gave you a good explanation of rotating an image in PS, but there's more going on there than just a tilted horizon. You're also seeing the effects of wide-angle distortion. Those can also be fixed in PS, but they're a little trickier, and you will probably need to play with the image a bit, until you find a result you like.

I would start with the Perspective (CTRL-A, Edit > Transform > Perspective) control, myself. But, you could also try Skew or Distort, from the same menu. With any of these, once you've selected the canvas and chosen your tool, you'll get "handles" around the edges of the photo that let you manipulate it. Maximize the window you're working in, but reduce the image size, so that there is blank space around it. Then you can drag those handles outwards, to widen the image where appropriate. With a castle that appears to be falling away from you, widening the top will help make it stand up. Try it out. They're really handy tools for architectural shots.

That's a beautiful series of photos, too :):
    Once upon a time, they all lived happily ever after.
  • Options
    ky1ky1 Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited September 21, 2008
    problem solved
    thankyou I ,will definetly have a shot at it much appreciated