Options

Print process / paper?

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited May 1, 2005 in Mind Your Own Business
Ok, while this is primarily directed at the pros, non-pros please feel free to add your opinions as well.

What print process, and paper do you use for photos that you sell? What influenced this decision?

How about the different paper finishes? Mat / high gloss / semi-gloss or luster. Do you find one more popular than another?

My recent experience: I ordered 4 prints from Mpix. They have been super about responding to my questions. I am impressed with the print quality and the price seems very fair.

They use a visible light laser to expose the Kodak silver halide photographic media. Who knew?

I tried the Kodak metallic Endura paper and it is distinctive with eye popping color. While this might not be the best paper for all prints I think it will be a great choice for many prints.

Later I can ask about canvas prints. :D

Sam

Comments

• Options
    edited May 1, 2005
    Brothers and sisters, where’s the love? 18 views no input.

Some of you must be printing something? What and how are you doing this?

What’s your take on this?

I know what Andy does, but what about the rest of you? Oh, yeah….Andy….well you see he purchased a couple of dozen 30” Apple monitors and just hangs them on the wall until he’s tired of the picture, then he sell the monitor.

My budget is somewhat smaller. :D

Sam
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2005
    I have my prints done at http://www.whcc.com

I typically use the luster paper, it stands up the best to fingerprints. I have used metallic and like it, but as you mentioned, it depends on the photo for me as to whether or not I use it.

I tried out the various paper textures, and really only liked the luster. The other ones are supposed to help make scanning more difficult, but I found them to not be very effective.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2005
    I have my prints done at http://www.whcc.com

I typically use the luster paper, it stands up the best to fingerprints. I have used metallic and like it, but as you mentioned, it depends on the photo for me as to whether or not I use it.

I tried out the various paper textures, and really only liked the luster. The other ones are supposed to help make scanning more difficult, but I found them to not be very effective.
    Shay,

Thank you for your input. I looked at this site but can't gat the price list to down load, so I don't have any idea of what they charge. Have you ever tried Mpix? If so how would you compare them? I am curious with regard to how you decided on whcc.

Do they use the same type of laser light on silver halide paper? When I looked up the data on the Kodak paper, and this process, the data provided with regard to longevity was impressive. I down loaded 14 pages, which I still need to read, but it seems they rate this paper for somewhere between 40 and 140 years.

Also I would guess wedding photos would fair better with luster / semi gloss, rather than the metallic.

I am trying to establish my entire work flow to include, if possible, one printer. (At least for 90%)

Sam
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2005
    I don't think mpix was around when I decided on whcc. I have not tried them as yet, however, their true B&W paper has me intrigued to give them a try.

They both use the same technology as far as using a laser to expose the paper. And the longevity of the paper is among the best available.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie