natural light at f/2

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited September 22, 2008 in People
I'm still trying to get comfortable with my 50 1.4. It's certainly tricky to nail down the focus correctly. I think this one mostly worked.

375936627_zbjnz-XL.jpg
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    I'm still trying to get comfortable with my 50 1.4 It's certainly tricky to nail down the focus correctly. I think this one mostly worked.

mostly? I'd say totally. Great shot! I love the expression, warmth, and the tight framing.
    There's a thin line between genius and stupid.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2008
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    Got to love the eyes! thumb.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    ShepsMom wrote:
    Got to love the eyes! thumb.gif

This is my favorite kind of shot...totally nailed it!
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    Lovely!....Yea, at 1.4 there isn't much DOF at that distance...Laughing.gif. His eyes are sharp as a tack. Guess I've always had difficulty with the whole front of the face thing not being at least as sharp...prolly why I don't shoot the 1.4...haha..but you did a very well here Elaine. My how he's grown!
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    Thanks, all! I say "mostly worked" for the reasons Swartzy mentioned...one eye does seem to be sharper than the other and I'm not sure if the rest of the face being just OOF is what I'm after or not. But I liked everything else about it and it's definitely a keeper for me.
    Elaine

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    Elaine - did some DOF calculations. And with a 50mm at f/2 and working 5 feet from your son (I think you were closer, but I can't really tell) it appears your total DOF is about .2 feet - that's just a couple of inches. No surprise that one eye is sharper than the other....

As for the photo itself, I think it's a real keeper - well done!
    Elaine - did some DOF calculations. And with a 50mm at f/2 and working 5 feet from your son (I think you were closer, but I can't really tell) it appears your total DOF is about .2 feet - that's just a couple of inches. No surprise that one eye is sharper than the other....

As for the photo itself, I think it's a real keeper - well done!

Thanks, Scott! I guess I was asking for trouble at f/2, wasn't I? No wonder I had so many more OOF than IN Focus. rolleyes1.gifYay for digital...and shooting lots and lots and lots of pics!
    Elaine

• ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    Elaine wrote:
    Thanks, Scott! I guess I was asking for trouble at f/2, wasn't I? No wonder I had so many more OOF than IN Focus. rolleyes1.gifYay for digital...and shooting lots and lots and lots of pics!

One of the issues I have looking for the creamy bokeh on this is shooting wide open. One of the local wedding photographers was telling me all his portrait work is at f4.0 at 40mm. I have my share of too low dof shots...
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    ChatKat wrote:
    One of the issues I have looking for the creamy bokeh on this is shooting wide open. One of the local wedding photographers was telling me all his portrait work is at f4.0 at 40mm. I have my share of too low dof shots...
    Two more factors for the DOF equation: subject-camera distance and sensor/film size
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    Two more factors for the DOF equation: subject-camera distance and sensor/film size

Just as an aside....should you go to a full frame (as in 5D) you will significantly change your ways from a 1.6 crop body.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
    Swartzy wrote:
    Just as an aside....should you go to a full frame (as in 5D) you will significantly change your ways from a 1.6 crop body.

Could you elaborate please?
    Elaine

• AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2008
    WOW ... wonderful photo! wings.gif
  • Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2008
    Elaine!
    I like the result - very very good-catched expression!
    Yuri
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    Slick
    Nice, nice photo. and really nice lens apparently! Great work!

tom
    tom wise
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    Beautiful work! What an adorable guy. My favorite kind of shot, too. Got a few of these myself over the weekend but none as sharp and purty!thumb.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
    Angie, Yuri, Tom, Lynne...
    Thanks so much for your kind comments! I appreciate you stopping by!
    Elaine

• LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    Nice shot!
    Elaine wrote:
    Could you elaborate please?

Shooting at f/2 at 85mm (equivalent field of view to your 50) on a full frame body has the same depth of field as shooting at f/1.6 at 50mm on a crop body. In general for equivalent framing, a full frame body as 2/3 stop shallower DoF than a crop body. The extra creative control you have with DoF on a full frame body is one to the things I love about my 5D, but it does demand that you pay some extra attention to focuing technique. I put many, many hours into learning how to use my 135/2 effectively when I got it. I feel now that that time has really paid off and made all my photographs better it was definitely frustrating when I first got my new toy and couldn't take a sharp shot with it.
    LiquidAir wrote:
    Nice shot!

Shooting at f/2 at 85mm (equivalent field of view to your 50) on a full frame body has the same depth of field as shooting at f/1.6 at 50mm on a crop body. In general for equivalent framing, a full frame body as 2/3 stop shallower DoF than a crop body. The extra creative control you have with DoF on a full frame body is one to the things I love about my 5D, but it does demand that you pay some extra attention to focuing technique. I put many, many hours into learning how to use my 135/2 effectively when I got it. I feel now that that time has really paid off and made all my photographs better it was definitely frustrating when I first got my new toy and couldn't take a sharp shot with it.

Thanks very much for this explanation. I think I'd better stick with my crop body for awhile!
    Elaine

• crockettcrockett Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    Great shot! I still can't get in line with the crowd that wants the vast majority of the head in focus.

If the eyes are in focus, it's a winner for me. I like this photo.

I was just looking at a famous portraiture photographer (German I believe, but l believe he shoots here in the US) and he does all kinds of head shots. They really are amazing and he uses a very very small DOF.

ahhh...what the heck I looked him up.

Marin Schoeller
    http://mediastorm.org/0002.htm
    crockett wrote:
    Great shot! I still can't get in line with the crowd that wants the vast majority of the head in focus.

If the eyes are in focus, it's a winner for me. I like this photo.

I was just looking at a famous portraiture photographer (German I believe, but l believe he shoots here in the US) and he does all kinds of head shots. They really are amazing and he uses a very very small DOF.

ahhh...what the heck I looked him up.

Marin Schoeller
    http://mediastorm.org/0002.htm

Thank you very much! Cool link. I think I've seen his shot of Christopher Walken before. The lighting he uses in those head shots makes very interesting catch lights!
    Elaine