Self-family portrait, strobist style

Deadeye008Deadeye008 Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
edited September 22, 2008 in People
Shot this out on Antelope Island using a tripod for the camera and one Canon 430EX, camera right at 1/16 power, shot through an umbrella.

2872096858_e736bb5069_o.jpg

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2008
    Deadeye008 wrote:
    Shot this out on Antelope Island using a tripod for the camera and one Canon 430EX, camera right at 1/16 power, shot through an umbrella.
    Nice capture!
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    Family Portrait...
    Great idea. Nice shot...
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    Very cute and good light.
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
  • JST08JST08 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    Hi there! Newbie and first time poster here. Just wanted to say that I really admire your shot. I wonder how it would look like if the bg is a stop darker. But anyway, this is just my thought. The important thing is you made this wonderful and admirable shot.
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    Very nice!thumb.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    I guess I'm going to the contrary one.

I really like the pose. His expression is not the best but I like her's and the kids wave is great.

As for the lighting - well, you did that at 1/16 power. I think you probably should have done it at 1/32 - the flash is a bit over done. If you had had a second flash (even the pop-up on the camera) for fill, you would have greatly improved the quality of the shadows on the faces.

My experience has shown that, outdoors, thinks like the GFLS is a waste of time, effort, and light. The BBC, if angled appropriately, is usually quite effective as is the light scoop.
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    I like the shot but I don't like the color balance. I just think it should be warmed up a tad or the flash should have been gelled.

376330970_WWm8Y-XL.jpg
    Hope you don't mind. If you do, let me know and I will take it down.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    I like the warmer version better for my taste. The lighting seems more natural. It's a great shot. I'm hoping to get my husband and kids to agree to a family portrait soon.

Caroline
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    I also like the warmer version.
    Great picture and results
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Deadeye008Deadeye008 Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    evoryware wrote:
    I like the shot but I don't like the color balance. I just think it should be warmed up a tad or the flash should have been gelled.

376330970_WWm8Y-XL.jpg
    Hope you don't mind. If you do, let me know and I will take it down.

Thank you all for the comments and compliments. I think I also like the warmer version. I'll have to change the original. Thanks again!
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    Seeing that it is a self-portrait meaning that you had to set the timer, get into position, and then pose; I think you did a remarkable job. The lighting is a bit heavy but I doubt most people would notice the impact. The sunset itself is a great capture. Good job. thumb.gif
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    Yes, I think this is a very nice shot of your family in a beautiful setting! Very nice job! I agree that it could be warmed up a bit, but you all have wonderful smiles, which is a feat in itself!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • chrisdgchrisdg Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    Great shot. It's a keeper! Getting your child to wave was a great move...or did he do it on his own??? Pretty lady too.

I do also prefer the warmer version. The flash hitting the sand it a bit strong, but overall very very nice image of your family.

evoryware - what flash gel would you have recommended on a shot like this...a 1/2 cut of CTO perhaps?
    -Chris D.
    http://www.facebook.com/cdgImagery (concert photography)
    http://www.cdgimagery.com (concert photography)
    http://chrisdg.smugmug.com (everything else)

• evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2008
    chrisdg wrote:
    evoryware - what flash gel would you have recommended on a shot like this...a 1/2 cut of CTO perhaps?

On one hand, I'd say yeah; guessing because I wasn't there, but 1/2 or 1/4. Tough time of day to shoot.
    On the other hand, I don't think it's a flash white balance issue. Just a color tone issue. Skin looks too magenta. There's others here with more gel practice than me though, such as Nikolai and Jeffreaux.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    eek7.gif wow .... very nice photo ... kind of surreal! iloveyou.gif
  • LensCapLensCap Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    Yeah it hints of HDR a bit. I love it, bet it was a blast getting it setup, composed, back in position, etc. Great Job!
    Randy Sartin
    http://sartinphoto.com

Nikon Stuff (not that it really matters)
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2008
    flash 2
    Yeah, flash is too heavy. But what a cute, cute shot!!

cheers, tom
    tom wise