Hornet Nest

RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
edited September 21, 2008 in Holy Macro
Here's a shot I took of a hornet's nest at my neighbors. This nest is larger than a basketball. After a couple of shots, this guy walked to the front of the opening and stared out almost as if to say what do you think you are doing. C&C welcome.

376236584_9w3JZ-X2.jpg
Randy Brogen, CPP
www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2008
    Like it- always amazes me how little bugs can build a large organised structure.
    Brian V.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    RBrogen wrote:
    Here's a shot I took of a hornet's nest at my neighbors. This nest is larger than a basketball. After a couple of shots, this guy walked to the front of the opening and stared out almost as if to say what do you think you are doing. C&C welcome.

I'd be a tad worried about getting too close knowing what's inside the Nest.
    Did any of them come and to check you out while you were taking photos?

You brave person eek7.gif that's quite a monster sized house for such little critters.

Good Shot thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    Skippy wrote:
    I'd be a tad worried about getting too close knowing what's inside the Nest.
    Did any of them come and to check you out while you were taking photos?

You brave person eek7.gif that's quite a monster sized house for such little critters.

Good Shot thumb.gif .... Skippy :D

Thanks Skippy/Brian.

Yes actually I started out with a few shots with my 70-200mm and then thouhgt better of it and put my 100-400mm on. After making the swap as I was looking throught thre view finder I saw them begin to gather at the opening and one did fly out and buzz my head and chased me for a few seconds before going away. That's when I said enough :)
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP