Flash football

donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
edited September 21, 2008 in Sports
I posted a few shots using the low flash mounted on a monopod last week. I decided I wanted to try adding a second flash and ordered an sc-26 ttl sync cord to connect a seccond SB-800 to my setup. I figured I would reduce my recycle time by doing so. I should have read the flash manual first. The SB-800 manual says this is "not possible with digital SLRs compatible with iTTL". It only works with film camera and the D1 using the old TTL system.

A little miffed, I tried to come up with a viable solution. I went to a game last night with the second flash attached and set to manual at 1/8 power and dropped the ttl flash by 1 ev. I felt this might give me a bit faster recycle without blowing out the close shots too much.

As it turns out it looks like the the curtain syncs were different for the two flashes, generating two stop actions in some of the shots. If you look at the right heel, you can see it in this shot.
376236923_R4b9b-L.jpg

A lot of the shots look over flashed. This one is probably one of the worst.
376239210_N6JeG-L.jpg

I've now got a better beamer on order. Perhaps my longer zoom on the D700 will produce some nice results. Gotta keep experimenting.

Here are a couple more from last nights game.

He looks scared (still see red eye once in awhile)
376235538_P4tyt-L.jpg

wish I could have been on the other side of the field for this.
376235990_o33hJ-L.jpg

Our guys lost pretty bad last night
376238940_r2VsX-L.jpg

In the last two minutes of the game they got a 1st and 10 for the first time of the evening. The cheerleaders and crowd went a little nuts, so I turned the camera on them.
376239251_76bfo-L.jpg

Who could have predicted that they's score a TD in the last 2 seconds of the game.
376235485_pQ6r6-L.jpg
Sean Martin
www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!

Comments

• jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2008
    They are nice, but I am not a big fan using flash for football unless it's absolutely necessary. The D700 you have produces great results without using flash for football games. IMHO, you are making it harder on yourself with this setup. Go out there and have fun and shoot away.
  • donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    jonh68 wrote:
    They are nice, but I am not a big fan using flash for football unless it's absolutely necessary. The D700 you have produces great results without using flash for football games. IMHO, you are making it harder on yourself with this setup. Go out there and have fun and shoot away.

I'll admit I haven't tried with the D700 alone, but you haven't been on this field. The lights are rental units powered by deisel generators. It's pretty pitiful. On top of that, The longest fast lens I have is a 70-200 f2.8. On the D700, my reach will be pretty minimal. As I recall, you shoot wide open at 1/1000 in auto iso. I might try it next time I'm there, but I think it's another 3 weeks.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

The crop factor does limit the D700 as my 120-300 2.8 becomes like a 70-200 on a cropped lens. I shoot 1/1000 if I can get it, but last night I had a game that I shot 1/400 because it was pretty dark. I have also used 12,800 with pretty good results too.
  • David EvertsenDavid Evertsen Registered Users Posts: 524 Major grins
    Wow..
    jonh68 wrote:

I can understand the reluctance for Flash... The coolest thing is that I never use flash and I can learn to use it with really bad light conditions and have criteria to do it correctly. It is all about learning and this is really helping me out, The EndZones are horrible at some of the schools that I take and this will be a huge advantage. It is all about the learning and everyone helping each other out...

David Evertsen
    www.phabulousphotos.com
    I can understand the reluctance for Flash... The coolest thing is that I never use flash and I can learn to use it with really bad light conditions and have criteria to do it correctly. It is all about learning and this is really helping me out, The EndZones are horrible at some of the schools that I take and this will be a huge advantage. It is all about the learning and everyone helping each other out...

David Evertsen
    www.phabulousphotos.com

I agree. I didn't mean to come across as negative. Donek is much more ambitious than I am. The less equipment I have the better.
  • donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2008
    jonh68 wrote:
    I agree. I didn't mean to come across as negative. Donek is much more ambitious than I am. The less equipment I have the better.

I'm usually a less is more person too, but love to tinker as well. This is all just another challenge and an opportunity to learn more about altering light. I love criticism and hope you keep it coming. I wish I had about 3 games in one day. I'd shoot each one different. It would be a great way to come away with a direct comparison of each technique. It seems like each time I go back and shoot it takes half the game to get in the groove.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

• jjvfxjjvfx Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited September 21, 2008
    Rented lights? I'm sorry.
    Canon EOS 1D Mark II, Canon EOS 40D, 70-200mm 2.8L IS