Urban Scapes

dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
edited September 24, 2008 in Landscapes
Went downtown today to shoot some Urban HDR shots. Let me know what you think :D

376492003_WkN4f-L.jpg

Urban Art

376492822_Y9xQf-L.jpg

Tucson Chicago Store

376492484_Wrp4q-L.jpg

Restored

376500267_nJdha-L.jpg

Comments

• kworkkwork Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited September 20, 2008
    Great collection
    Kevin

D50 ■ 17-55 f/2.8 ■ 50 f/1.8 ■ 80-200 f/2.8 AF-S ■ SB-800 ■ SB-600 ■ Hoya Filters ■ Manfrotto legs and head ■ Kata R-103 Rucksack

My SmugMug
    My Project 366 :ivar
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2008
    These are great Dan
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    kwork wrote:
    Great collection

Thanks very much Kevin.
    These are great Dan

Appreciate that Awais.
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2008
    Really like #2 and #3. The composition in #2 is fantastic.

One slight nit-pick with the second and that's the motion of the painter's hand which I think would be fine with a single long exposure, but the HDR artificats are pretty obvious (HDR is great, and I use it all the time, but one thing that it really doesn't do well is handle slight movements, large movements aren't as a big of a deal, as it ends up looking like a normal long exposure type blur).
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Really like #2 and #3. The composition in #2 is fantastic.

One slight nit-pick with the second and that's the motion of the painter's hand which I think would be fine with a single long exposure, but the HDR artificats are pretty obvious (HDR is great, and I use it all the time, but one thing that it really doesn't do well is handle slight movements, large movements aren't as a big of a deal, as it ends up looking like a normal long exposure type blur).

Thanks Ron, and I appreciate your coaching. thumb.gif
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    Very nicely done, Dan!! thumb.gif

I like that this set isn't so obviously manipulated and "over-done." What software are you using to do your HDR work?
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
    CWSkopec wrote:
    Very nicely done, Dan!! thumb.gif

I like that this set isn't so obviously manipulated and "over-done." What software are you using to do your HDR work?

Thanks a lot Chris. I'm using Photomatix for the Tone Mapping and then Aperture for PP.

Dan
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2008
    Dan,

Yes, I too like the fact that the HDR is not obvious. Sometimes that works; sometimes it doesn't.

A couple of comments. I like #2 the best. Too bad the painter is a bit blurred, but maybe it highlights his work.

#1 - the shadow in the middle is a bit distracting

#3 - just perfect. Love it.

#4 - the composition is a bit off for me. Maybe it's the fact that the top of the bldg is cut off. Not sure.

Thanks for posting! Always feel free to rip into any of mine I post! rolleyes1.gif
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    dlplumer wrote:
    Went downtown today to shoot some Urban HDR shots. Let me know what you think :D

What do I think? I think I need to go out and shoot more HDRs. rolleyes1.gif
    Very inspiring. Love 'em all, but agree that the comp in the last one doesn't quite work for me. Super job otherwise. thumb.gif
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    Dan,

Yes, I too like the fact that the HDR is not obvious. Sometimes that works; sometimes it doesn't.

A couple of comments. I like #2 the best. Too bad the painter is a bit blurred, but maybe it highlights his work.

#1 - the shadow in the middle is a bit distracting

#3 - just perfect. Love it.

#4 - the composition is a bit off for me. Maybe it's the fact that the top of the bldg is cut off. Not sure.

Thanks for posting! Always feel free to rip into any of mine I post! rolleyes1.gif

Thank you very much Jeff for taking the time to provide me with good critical feedback. Very much appreciated. thumb.gif
    edited September 24, 2008
    kdog wrote:
    What do I think? I think I need to go out and shoot more HDRs. rolleyes1.gif
    Very inspiring. Love 'em all, but agree that the comp in the last one doesn't quite work for me. Super job otherwise. thumb.gif

Thanks Joel. I'm really enjoying the HDR wagon right now. It can produce incredibly dynamic photos with awesome flexibility in PP, and it is easy to use. Lately I've been taking 3 exposures from -1 to +1 which seems to work really well for me. The one thing that I still have not solved is the banding artifacts that show up on pure blue sky. I can minimize these, but it is a balancing act. :D

Dan
    dlplumer wrote:
    The one thing that I still have not solved is the banding artifacts that show up on pure blue sky.

Can you post an example of what you're talking about? Is there some I'm seeing in the "Restored" shot? Also, what's your workflow like. Are you shooting raw, or jpg? If raw, are you opening the HDRs in Photomatix, or converting them before you open them? Or feel free to ignore all this if I'm being too nosy. :D

Edit: reason I ask is that I've not seen the banding issues. The only funny sky issue I've had was that "glow" around the joshua tree on that one shot with the moon I posted.
    kdog wrote:
    Can you post an example of what you're talking about? Is there some I'm seeing in the "Restored" shot? Also, what's your workflow like. Are you shooting raw, or jpg? If raw, are you opening the HDRs in Photomatix, or converting them before you open them? Or feel free to ignore all this if I'm being too nosy. :D

Edit: reason I ask is that I've not seen the banding issues. The only funny sky issue I've had was that "glow" around the joshua tree on that one shot with the moon I posted.

I shoot in RAW only. I import into Aperture. Then, I put 3 exposures into Photomatix, make some adjustments and save, import back into Aperture, and make final adjustments.

If you look at the sky in #2 you can see some banding.
    Just for fun, why don't you try opening the raw files directly in Photomatix? It works, and that's what I do. It's true that the documentation specifically recommends doing it the way you're doing. But it might be worth doing it the other way just to see if you get the same issues. Like I say, I haven't gotten any banding that I've noticed by letting Photomatix work directly with the RAWs.
    kdog wrote:
    Just for fun, why don't you try opening the raw files directly in Photomatix? It works, and that's what I do. It's true that the documentation specifically recommends doing it the way you're doing. But it might be worth doing it the other way just to see if you get the same issues. Like I say, I haven't gotten any banding that I've noticed by letting Photomatix work directly with the RAWs.

I'll try it. Thanks Joel thumb.gif