Gunman

Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
edited September 20, 2008 in People
I've been feeling rather noir lately... at least as far as photography goes. Here's one I shot at 4:30 am in my garage. Nikkor 18-200mm at 18mm, f/22 for maximum depth of field. That was necessary because the tip of the barrel was at most an inch from the lens, which obviously means that it wasn't in focus. I just manually focused at the minimum distance (actually about 9 inches or so) and took the shot (actually a few hundred shots trying to get just the right perspective--not at all easy when you can't see though the lens) and I think it worked out all right. Even though the face isn't actually in focus, it's sharp enough and stands out tonally enough that the strong lines of the barrel lead right back to it without any hang ups along the way. If I would have focused on the face, however, the end of the barrel would have been way out of focus... so it's really a compromise. I guess it will have to do until I get a wide angle lens that can focus 1" from the glass (does such a thing even exist?) Anyway, tell me what you think:

n6605577_31593055_1322.jpg

Comments

• heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2008
    This is pretty cool. Though it makes me want to duck. :hide

Very well executed. (no pun intended!Laughing.gif!) I'd be interested in seeing it just a bit larger to see the focus issues you described. At this size, it looks great.
  • Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    This is pretty cool. Though it makes me want to duck. :hide

Very well executed. (no pun intended!Laughing.gif!) I'd be interested in seeing it just a bit larger to see the focus issues you described. At this size, it looks great.

Thanks... this is pretty much how it looks, nothing is really way out of focus, but if you look closely you can see that the sharpest part of the image is right around the cylinder and my trigger finger, not the end of the barrel or my face.
  • JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    This is a very intimidating photograph.
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose