Ice Hockey: San Jose Sharks Training Camp 2008

aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
edited October 20, 2008 in Sports
Today was the first public day of the San Jose Sharks Training Camp and I was very excited to go until I got to the rink.

And I spent the first ten minutes in a panic. I just didn’t think I could do it -- I completely forgot how big and how fast these players move and just didn’t think I could get the shots that I wanted.

These players have just unbelievable speed and control while being huge at the same time! And due to the number of spectators, security was very tight and I couldn’t really get a good position or find a better one. At one of rinks, they let us stand near the glass. The other – five feet away at all times. I shot through bodies (too short to go over people) and behind really bad glass:

1. One of my vantage points: If you have any suggestions on how to shot through this, please let me know. I did think okay through this...
376556447_FemZ5-M-1.jpg

2. In front of the net. Ryan Clowe, unknown skater, unknown goalie
376555755_HWKeX-M-1.jpg

3. Still the captain (I think). Patrick Marleau
376556051_dD948-M-1.jpg

4. Calm and Steady. Evgeni Nabokov starting goalie
376556837_saXXH-M-1.jpg

5. Unknown. There were a lot of people that I just didn’t recognize by face alone.
376557592_pS3an-M-1.jpg

6. Intensity: Unknown goalie, Patrick Marleau, unknown
376557368_dSPHn-M-1.jpg

7. New Coach on the ice. Todd McLellan with Christian Ehrhoff
376555862_LX6ZS-M-1.jpg

8. Teeth optional: Joe Thorton and unknown
376557507_87WRR-M-1.jpg

C&C welcomed and appreciated.

Comments

• cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2008
    As a youth hockey mom who loves to take pictures, I love the first photo - I think its pretty neat looking and very familiar. As for the rest, can you tell me what kind of camera, lens, and settings you were using for these photos. I'm assuming there was no flash or strobes going off but it looks like you have a lot of light and the pictures are very clear. Thanks.

Stephanie
  • JoesInBostonJoesInBoston Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited September 22, 2008
    They look great to me for shooting behind that glass.
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2008
    As a youth hockey mom who loves to take pictures, I love the first photo - I think its pretty neat looking and very familiar. As for the rest, can you tell me what kind of camera, lens, and settings you were using for these photos. I'm assuming there was no flash or strobes going off but it looks like you have a lot of light and the pictures are very clear.
    I'm glad to hear that my hard work paid off. :D I've spent a lot of time in cold, dark rinks learning how to take a decent ice hockey photo. Burr!

Nope. No stobes or flashes used at all -- I just know how to follow the action and can usually hit the exposure as best that I can in each situation which really helps with image quality. These are taken either with my 70-200 f/2.8 IS or my siggy 120-300mm, but mostly with my 70-200 on my 40D at the local rink where the kids and adults play. The light was better than normal since the rink actually turned all of it and but I'm acutally used to shooting with 1/2 of them off.

These are my tips for shooting ice hockey.
    They look great to me for shooting behind that glass.

Thanks for the kind words! Not all the glass is that bad, but usually, I can move around and find clean sheet, but not in this case.
    I went back and got a better seat in the bleachers behind a cleaner piece of glass. I would rather be closer to the glass due to all the puck marks, but I have to be happy that most of the lights are turned on. These were shot at two different rinks (one is better than the other in terms of lighting and glass color)

I’m used to shooting with ½ of them off. :D Light is a luxury for me and there is a reason why sunlight is so difficult for me -- I'm used to dark caves! rolleyes1.gif

These are frames from a few practices and a scrimmage.

1. Milan Michalek instructed by new coach Todd McLellan in a drill; sharks picked up McLellan from the Red Wings and this will be his first season with the team.
    378546349_aChGr-M.jpg

2. Newbie Kaspar – he’s fast. Don’t know if he’ll make the team. Watching these players make me reason how slow I am when I skate. They're so fast that it's scary. The newbies are really hungry in their attempts to make the team, but I don't think there are many spots opened at all.
    378549481_5mSDP-M.jpg

3. Traffic in front of the net. With the puck in the middle. Big Joe Thornton trying to put the puck in the net with Boucher trying to cover it up (successful)
    378549689_Zm55L-M.jpg

4. Didn’t even see it coming; don’t think he even saw the shot until afterwards (a few seconds after this frame was taken). Newbie Jones.
    378549914_gXKz9-M.jpg

5. Douglas Murray – interesting guy. Swedish, schooled at Cornell and loves to hit people. His nickname is "Crankshaft" --- he hits HARD
    378550155_DdDeY-M.jpg

6. Scrappy Joe Pavelski being bugged by Christan Ehrhoff
    378537422_qpusT-M.jpg

7. Torrey Mitchell – Poor Kid. About twenty minutes after this was taken, he was injured in the scrimmage and broke his leg when he flew over the goalie. He’s out for about eight weeks and was looking good in securing his place on his second season in the NHL.
    378538077_gkTpj-M-1.jpg

8. Brian Boucher, back up goalie extraordinaire
    378549368_piEac-M.jpg
  • Blaze Z BlazeBlaze Z Blaze Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    awesome pictures!
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    You've got some nice stuff here. I really like the first which shows the glass and all the scratches.

Had a chance to look at the San Jose Mercury News photos from that practice too. Yours are properly exposed as well as being white balanced. Something I can't say for the "pro" shots. You both have similar shots too. Where I see improvement are shots like #'s 6 & 7. Either tighter crop or open up a bit and let's see the skates.

Again, nicely done.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • chrisdgchrisdg Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    As a huge Sharks fan, thanks for sharing these photos. Can't wait for the the puck to drop!
    -Chris D.
    http://www.facebook.com/cdgImagery (concert photography)
    http://www.cdgimagery.com (concert photography)
    http://chrisdg.smugmug.com (everything else)

• jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2008
    Jeez! I wish I had kown you were a hockey fan when we were in Moab. Unfortunately you spanked my CBJ last night out there. Did you go to the game?
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited October 16, 2008
    jdryan3 wrote:
    Jeez! I wish I had kown you were a hockey fan when we were in Moab. Unfortunately you spanked my CBJ last night out there. Did you go to the game?
    I think she plays from time to time too :D

Me? Former referee though people have said I should make a comeback lol3.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited October 16, 2008
    jdryan3 wrote:

The local team is doing quite well, but it's still a long season. I didn't get chance to go to the games, but there are plenty left in the season and I have a partial season pass and various friends who are willing to take me to the game :-) I'm a lucky girl!

There was another hockey fan at Moab. I spotted Liz sporting a Tampa Bay sweat shirt and she lamented that we have her favorite player.

It was a pleasure meeting you during the trip. If you ever find yourself in the bay area, please look me up. And if it's during hockey season, we'll catch a game and shoot some frames :D
    edited October 16, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    I think she plays from time to time too :D

Me? Former referee though people have said I should make a comeback lol3.gif
    If you can call it playing; I think of myself more as a slow moving pylon, especially when I pay co-ed with the big boys. :D

And Ian, I would love to see you on the ice again. Except, you'll probably fall to the floor laughing you when see me "climb" over the boards to get to the bench. (note: i'm five feet tall on a good day in the morning and the boards are above my waste level).

I've been told by others that it's quite the spectacle, especially when I get stuck. mwink.gif
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2008
    aktse wrote:
    It was a pleasure meeting you during the trip. If you ever find yourself in the bay area, please look me up. And if it's during hockey season, we'll catch a game and shoot some frames :D

If you are ever in Columbus, I have full season PSLs just off Center Ice, 9 rows behind the home team bench. And take care of Jody Shelley, eh. He is dearly loved and missed here. Sharks are here 12/17/08 & 02/07/09.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
    edited October 20, 2008
    jdryan3 wrote:
    If you are ever in Columbus, I have full season PSLs just off Center Ice, 9 rows behind the home team bench. And take care of Jody Shelley, eh. He is dearly loved and missed here. Sharks are here 12/17/08 & 02/07/09.
    Great seats! And I'm happy watching (or playing) any hockey game! I'll let you know if I'm every in town.

And yes, Shelly. mwink.gif

I saw him at the training camp and didn't recognize him until someone pointed him out to me! Clean cut and unbruised.
    2885290692_66bb186d0e.jpg
    His face didn't stay looking this way for long -- less than one pre-season game.

I'm used to see his face with various shades of purple, blue and cut up like this:
    2309121391_d3de4c34a2.jpg

or, like sporting the latest cuts and bruises from his altercations.
    2352226363_b8fc50f402.jpg

And yes, he has developed a loyal following out on the west coast. :D

If you're ever in the bay area, let me know!